PDA

View Full Version : May 2011 Challenge Entry - The Free Republic of Espantia

Zar Peter
05-07-2011, 12:22 PM
So, first of all sorry for not posting for a long time (I think it must have been a year) but my interest in mapping seems to be tidal and so sometimes it's on and then it's off again. But I didn't want miss this challenge since these are exactly the maps I love. I could sit hours abouve Atlases and study the maps in there just to see how this city is named and where this road goes to. And how beautiful the colours are selected. And this is my approach here, I want to take a piece of land I created in an earlier map (I wasn't very satisfied with it and then I abbandoned the project) and fill it with live. And I want to play with colours and linestyles to make it look good.

To give an overlook first the map I used to fill (with some borders in it drawn for the competition), and then the first three countys I worked out.

Steel General
05-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Good to see you back and jumping right into a challenge.

Zar Peter
05-14-2011, 08:47 AM
First update: I remade the coast line and the rivers and finished my first county. This is about the way it should look, there will be a legend of course and somewhere I have to put in a title line.
My goal is to do something like a school atlas, political map.

*** Latest WIP ***

Zar Peter
05-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Well, I think I'm done. I'm quite happy with the look although of course there could be much more labelling done. But not enough time left.

### LATEST WIP ###

Ascension
05-20-2011, 08:27 PM
I fixed up your wip tag, needs 3 of those pound marks then a space then latest wip then space then 3 pound marks. You had 3 asterisks, minor thing, no big. Looks like a good political map.

rdanhenry
05-21-2011, 01:57 AM
Nice. I did spot one error in the legend: "Captial of the Republic" should, of course, be "Capital of the Republic".

Zar Peter
05-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Nice. I did spot one error in the legend: "Captial of the Republic" should, of course, be "Capital of the Republic".

Thanks, will change it. And maybe I'll do something about the size, it's a bit too big for my liking currently.

Zar Peter
05-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Ok, fixed the Capital and resized the thing. Thanks for the wip tag, Ascension.

### LATEST WIP ###

Ascension
05-22-2011, 04:27 PM
The only thing that I think it might need is some sort of border to tidy it all up and keep the eye inside the frame. Otherwise, pretty cool.

Zar Peter
05-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Border... right. I gave it a try and I think it's even not very bad. Thanks for the remark.

### LATEST WIP ###

jtougas
05-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Very Nice. That border style really fits the map perfectly. :)

Jaxilon
05-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Nicely done. The labels are very easy to read which is one of the main things in the challenge.

Zar Peter
05-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Last change: I just noticed that I forgot to change the colour of the isle. It was too dark.

### Latest WIP ###