PDA

View Full Version : May Challenge 2011 Entry: The Empire of Tyddarheym

Sapiento
05-08-2011, 07:19 AM
The Empire of Tyddarheym was the third state in history since the beginning of written notes which was able to project its power on the whole continent of Tordaral. It saw itself as the rightful successor to the the First (the Commonwealth of Tordaral) and Second Empire (the United Republic of Tyddarheym), and names itself therefore often the Third Empire - which caused often diplomatic problems with the Kingdom of Rebenor, which was created on the ruins of the colonies of the Second Empire in West-Teringland and claimed for itself the status as successor of the United Republic.
Although de jure a monarchy with a ruling Emperor, the Empire used many re-created institutions of the U.R. - the High Senate, the Imperial Court and the Provincial Assemblies - which made the Third Empire a mix of monarchy and republic. Historians are still arguing today if this was a voluntary solution - the first emperor Terhold I. could trace back his family to a High Consul of the U.R. and had a known soft spot for the history of the Second Empire - or if Terhold I was forced to allow this institutions (which restricted his power very soon) to have a legal lead over his opponents in the foundation wars, who cared nothing or very few for history and tradition.

So far a little background for this entry, which is done in PS. At the moment I'm testing the composition of the map elements (hills, trees, etc), map is 50% size - for the final piece I will probably use an external link.

Steel General
05-08-2011, 07:20 AM
Looks like a fine start.

LonewandererD
05-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Ouch, someone who really knows how to put the mountain brushes and forest program to good use. Looking real nice so far, which is a problem for me :)

-D-

RjBeals
05-08-2011, 08:19 PM
here come the big guns!

The land mass looks awesome. I love the shape and balance on your canvas.

jtougas
05-08-2011, 08:49 PM
And there goes the last shred of hope I had.... Just kidding. It looks great to start as usual. :)

Sapiento
05-10-2011, 03:51 AM
Thank you for the comments! I hope the final result can cope with the start.

A new update, more hills and trees and other geographic features.

Again the uploading issue with the thumbnail, but after the sixth time with no picture seeing it was enough to try again.

# # # Latest WIP # # #

Clercon
05-10-2011, 04:50 AM
Looks really good. I like the sand dunes you'v got in your desert.

Sapiento
05-10-2011, 11:12 AM
First try for city icons and labels. I'm not sure which font to use for the city names.

Ascension
05-10-2011, 04:14 PM
I like the top one, but smaller, and the one farthest left. The middle one isn't too bad, but maybe smaller there as well. The bottom one and far right one you see a lot so maybe I just favor non-common things.

Sapiento
05-11-2011, 01:04 AM
I like the top one, but smaller, and the one farthest left. The middle one isn't too bad, but maybe smaller there as well. The bottom one and far right one you see a lot so maybe I just favor non-common things.

The top one is Augusta, the farthest left is Treasuremap Dead Hand. Funny, these two are my favorites for this map, too!

Sapiento
05-11-2011, 05:12 AM
Cities/Towns and interesting-place-symbols added; and a border

# # # Latest WIP # # #

Ascension
05-11-2011, 07:35 AM
I like the small icons, makes the place feel more open and vast.

Sapiento
05-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Thank you, Ascension. Yes, this was my idea, too, to use this as an optical trick to make the map 'larger'.

Tigon
05-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Aye, the Augusta looks just a bit better than the Vinque methinks. The Carolingia is too wide (assuming that's what the 2nd one down is).

What's the map scale?

Sapiento
05-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Size similar to Australia.

LonewandererD
05-12-2011, 04:22 AM
While I do like the vast feeling the map gives I can't help but think there are too many dunes in the desert area, I'm assuming that is what those are, it just feels a little too crowded. Just my opinion.

-D-

Sapiento
05-12-2011, 05:22 AM
I think about the dunes, D.

City/Town labels and first idea for deco added.

I'm also thinking about adding more info. Maybe symbols for important goods or short descriptions for some places.

### Latest WIP ###

LonewandererD
05-12-2011, 05:26 AM
Don't really need to change them it was just my opinion, love the decoratives so far though :)

-D-

Sapiento
05-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Some refinement on the land and the plant in the upper left corner, and a first try for waves at the coast (east and west).

### Latest WIP ###

Sapiento
05-13-2011, 08:29 AM
A scroll added, which will contain the legend, also some nav lines (as I call them).

As for additional info I think I will go for small symbols on the map with a short description.

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
05-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Another Sapiento work of beauty!!! I really like your sand dunes!

Clercon
05-13-2011, 09:17 AM
I think that the most frightening with this map is how quickly it has been done. If had done a map of this size we would have needed a 6 months long challenge, at least. And it really turns out great looking too :-)

Sapiento
05-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Another Sapiento work of beauty!!! I really like your sand dunes!

Thank you! Your own entry looks supberb, too - great mountains!

I think that the most frightening with this map is how quickly it has been done. If had done a map of this size we would have needed a 6 months long challenge, at least. And it really turns out great looking too :-)

Thank you! Speed comes with experience; the more maps you make, the faster you get usually. If I remember how long my first maps needed for finishing...better not think of it ;)

Djekspek
05-13-2011, 12:57 PM
looking great! and it definitely has the Sapiento look and feel. And indeed, man i wish i could work as fast as you (before you'll know it, you'll 'outspeed' GP ;) . cheers, DJ

Sapiento
05-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Thank you, DJ!

Another update. First river and sea names added, also the shields of the subdivisions of the Empire.

### Latest WIP ###

Sapiento
05-16-2011, 04:02 AM
I think of this map as some kind of ancient school-atlas with as much information as possible - location of towns of course, but also economic and historical information. Therefore additional detail added: legend with political, economic and historical icons; scale bar, compass upgrade for one of the navigation stars. On the map itself I put fields beside some towns (more to be added), icons for goods and event information, the internal borders etc.

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
05-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Absolutely gorgeous Sap, and with so much detail. Just one thing I'm curious about, many of your town labels are set at an angle when there doesn't seem to be a need for it, just curious about your thinking there.

Ramah
05-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Nice map with lots of extra details to make it come alive.

The only thing I don't really like is that many of your forests have hugely noticeable patterning to them. And the bit that always jumps out especially is the area of forest north of Embesbach which looks really odd when the rest of that forest looks nice and randomly placed.

Other than that though, lovely map and good luck in the challenge. :)

Sapiento
05-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Absolutely gorgeous Sap, and with so much detail. Just one thing I'm curious about, many of your town labels are set at an angle when there doesn't seem to be a need for it, just curious about your thinking there.

Thank you, ravs! I remember I saw once a really old medieval map, where the labels seemed chaotic with no real order, so as if the cartographer sat in different positions when writing the words. This is more or less an imitation of it. Maybe I went a little bit too far.

Nice map with lots of extra details to make it come alive.

The only thing I don't really like is that many of your forests have hugely noticeable patterning to them. And the bit that always jumps out especially is the area of forest north of Embesbach which looks really odd when the rest of that forest looks nice and randomly placed.

Other than that though, lovely map and good luck in the challenge. :)

Thank you, Ramah. I'll have a look at the forests.

ravells
05-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Ah, I knew that there had to be a reason.

I'm just guessing and don't know which medieval map you looked at, but could it be that the labels were jammed in at any angle because the mapper was using all available space and there was not much? Many of the Medieval maps I've seen are really crowded, labelwise.

Sapiento
05-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Ah, I knew that there had to be a reason.

I'm just guessing and don't know which medieval map you looked at, but could it be that the labels were jammed in at any angle because the mapper was using all available space and there was not much? Many of the Medieval maps I've seen are really crowded, labelwise.

I saw the map in some tv history documentation - and yes, the map looked rather crowded with labels.

Sapiento
05-17-2011, 10:51 AM
More detail added, also a bit more randomness to the forests.

### Latest WIP ###

Sapiento
05-18-2011, 11:25 AM
A little octopus and a volcano added.

### Latest WIP ###

Diamond
05-20-2011, 02:01 PM
You know, of all the awesome things on this map, I think my favorite may be the smoke plume from the volcano. That perspective is dead on; it really fools my eye into thinking it's coming right off the paper.

Beautiful work, man.

Sapiento
05-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Thanks, Diamond.

LonewandererD
05-22-2011, 03:10 AM
Might to early to say but this map might have my vote, this is just awesome!

-D-

Sapiento
05-23-2011, 02:11 AM
Thanks, D! I've put much effort into this, so I appreciate every vote.

Djekspek
05-23-2011, 12:15 PM
great looking map Sap! Huge with loads of details, the effort you put in really shows. cheers, DJ

Sapiento
05-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks, DJ. This month has so many good entries - this will be a hard voting.

Lailokken
05-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Awesome map. Everything is beautiful. The heraldic badges and scroll are a really nice touch.

Zar Peter
05-24-2011, 01:34 AM
This map is absolutely awesome. Nearly what I thought of when I read about the challenge. Nearly because I wouldn't imagine a nation on a whole isle but as part of a continent but that's just a micro nitpick... all in all thank you for putting so much effort in this, it's great to read all the little details.