PDA

View Full Version : Hornhord

Harrg
05-09-2011, 05:38 AM
... The World was born on fire and ashes in those days when four all-powerful elements merging together have formed it. Has transited time there was a life, then the people, and with them wars, the infinite wars which shake till now the earth have come also. Kingdoms of people already one hundred years wage war with orks. Then hundred years ago people have taken away from them the earth and have tired out in mountains, now having got stronger orks have returned, they have captured native steppes and threaten capital of people - of Santalgar. In Marshy place war of trolls and wood elves was decoupled. Goblins from Holdagra have intruded in underground save gnomes from Fate mountains.Savages from the Ac-Xan plunder coastal monasteries of Kalanor...

If I have made errors I ask to forgive, I only study English language:)

arsheesh
05-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Welcome to the Guild Harg, and nice work on your map!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Steel General
05-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Good job on your first map and Welcome Aboard!

Harrg
05-09-2011, 09:52 AM
thank you very much

Seraphine_Harmonium
05-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Nice work. I like the Celtic-Knot border, but it's slightly pixelated at full view. Personally, I don't care for the font you used, but that's just a matter of taste, and nothing that is actually wrong. Over all, a very good map. Welcome to the guild!

Harrg
05-09-2011, 11:29 AM
thank you Seraphine_Harmonium,I will try to find a pattern more better quality
Р.S.
I haven't absolutely understood that you meant about a font
Р.S.S.
Can prompt as to make a card of more natural, for example more to make a natural structure of the earth, mountains, woods.
for example аs here http://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?albumid=196&attachmentid=24667

Seraphine_Harmonium
05-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Font means the look of the letters. So this is a different font than this or this.

Harrg
05-09-2011, 12:12 PM
оу I see , thanks

Ascension
05-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I like it. Sure, some of the techniques could use some refinement but as a first attempt it is solid and as you learn more the techniques will get better. Good job, man.

Harrg
05-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks, I have understood the errors to following days off I will try to show the corrected version of a map

jtougas
05-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Looks very good. And Welcome. :)

rdanhenry
05-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Actually, I like the font for this map, although I don't think it would work for many others. This is an attractive and bold map, but I do have to add that rivers don't work like that. Specifically, a river will not run from the ocean to the ocean. It will start in a high place and go to the ocean, joining other rivers on the way, but not splitting into more rivers. If it stops at a lake, many rivers may come in, but only one runs out again.

The map is also lacking a scale. Is this a large island or a continent?

Harrg
05-11-2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks for criticism.
It is continent, thanks for council with the rivers, I haven't noted this error. Scale I will increase, the main thing that scale magnifications it was not reflected in image quality.

Harrg
05-15-2011, 02:39 AM
Here, I have temporarily removed a pattern, have added Russian-speaking inscriptions, diversified wood a little
The size didn't begin to increase since to spoil the image

Harrg
05-30-2011, 10:17 AM
I have made new mountains, I ask to estimate

Ascension
05-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Looks great.

Diamond
05-30-2011, 03:26 PM
That's a great looking map. I love the colors and textures, especially how you did the forests. That looks NICE, especially the variance in shadow and light in them. I have to say though, I liked the first version of the mountains better.

ravells
05-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I really like the forests, but the mountains, although good, could be better for me. I think it's because you're feathering the edges to try to blend the mountain edges into the surrounding land and that doesn't really work for this style of map. might be better having an irregular edge to the mountains and reducing the feather effect. The whole thing looks beautiful though!

Harrg
06-28-2011, 12:34 PM
I have continued to draw a map but already in other style because I can not make mountain which to me it to be pleasant. The criticism and councils is as usual necessary

arsheesh
06-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Overall I like the new (or rather "old") style Harg, but don't give up to soon on the former style: mountains are among the more difficult elements to master in artistic/photo-realistic maps, so don't be too disappointed if it takes a while for you to land upon a method that you're satisfied with (I still haven't myself!). Regarding the new map, I really like what you've done with the legend. It is simple, clear, and attractive. The overall shape of the continent is good (reminds me of Australia), the mt. and tree symbols are simple and effective (though one suggestion might be to check out Gidde's Hand-Drawn Tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10655-Hand-Drawn-Mapping-%28for-the-Artistically-Challenged%29&highlight=Hand-Drawn+artistically+challenged) where he discusses how to add shading to these symbols).

One thing that does strike me as a bit unnatural however is the emboss and shadow layers that you've added to the continent. I think I see what you are going for: a way of making the continent stand out against water. However the overall effect seems rather to give the impression that the land mass is floating above the ocean. My suggestion would be to get rid of the bevel & shadow and instead darken the water layer, lighten the continent layer, and add some ripples around the continent. This, I think, will better achieve the look you are after. One way of making the ripples would be to make a selection of the continent, slightly grow the selection then stroke the selection. Grow the selection again (by a 1-3 pix or so), and then stroke it again. Do this 5-6 times (perhaps gradually decreasing the px size of each stroke) and you should have a nice set of ripples surrounding your continent.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Harrg
07-02-2011, 08:57 AM
thank you Arsheesh, I used not the myself mountains as was laziness to draw them from zero:) but trees I have left the. I start to throw the rivers, there was an idea to make a shelf in the form of strokes along coast, as on many old maps

Harrg
08-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Alas but at me has burned down the old computer, it was necessary to do at first and I have decided to make such mine Hornhord
The rivers will be a bit later

arsheesh
08-30-2011, 05:24 PM
I like the basic shape of the land (in fact it reminds me of one of my favorite pieces by Diamond (http://chanimur.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d2orji5)). The parchment texture you used for the sea color looks really nice, however the parchment texture on the outer border looks slightly blurry up close. The geographical icons all look nice as well. Sorry to here about your computer melt-down, but I look forward to seeing updates on this.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

eViLe_eAgLe
08-30-2011, 05:29 PM
You have amazing brush placing skills! :)

Harrg
08-31-2011, 03:07 AM
Really there is a similarity) thanks for comments

Vorhees
08-31-2011, 06:20 AM
Welcome abourd , nicely done, really like the hand drawn look you have there

jfrazierjr
08-31-2011, 08:07 AM
Hmm... not sure if this has been mentioned, but in the latest, it looks like the shading is not right... the mountains are on the left AND RIGHT but the trees are on the right(shadows that is)

Harrg
09-07-2011, 11:09 AM
I have drawn the rivers

jfrazierjr
09-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Harrg, did you happen to read my last post?

Harrg
09-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Harrg, did you happen to read my last post?
Yes, i read, In the following version of a map I will try to clean this and others errors

Hugo Solis
09-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Looking good! The frame brings up the map real nice.

Harrg
09-11-2011, 05:42 AM
I tried to draw itself mountains) my first attempt to draw in photoshop) wait criticism and councils

jfrazierjr
09-11-2011, 12:50 PM
I dig.... Personally, I would probably add a few more cleft lines using your "scratchy" line style(which is kind of cool here). For example, the center two mountains one behind the other, you already have a shaded connector.... just follow that with a line to join and make it completed.... likewise in the bottom left you have a connector line that just ends, but I think it would look good fully connecting to the mountain peak "behind it". I assume you plan to add some color? Brown, reddish brown, or grey would make this really pop quite a bit I think.

Harrg
09-11-2011, 01:01 PM
I haven't absolutely understood that you mean
I precisely know that I don't manage to make accurate, but a smooth contour of mountains that they wouldn't be lost with a background

Kelron
09-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Your mountains look awesome!

jfrazierjr
09-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I haven't absolutely understood that you mean
I precisely know that I don't manage to make accurate, but a smooth contour of mountains that they wouldn't be lost with a background

While not required, a few more lines here and there will give the mountains more depth. For the first example I gave, you already have a really good delination between light/dark on that mountain ridge, and "I" think a line there would just help it stand out more. Just a few more lines in strategic locations would do it

Anyway..not a big deal and heck.. I tend to over think things most of the time, so take the advice for what it's worth which is pretty much nothing... lol. In any event, I dig the coloration, I assume you used the smudge tool or was this all airbrush with pressure sensitivity tablet? I still would like to see a small splash of color in there, but am looking forward to this map as it progresses..

Harrg
09-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Kelron, jfrazierjr thank you very much.
I used a soft translucent brush, the lighter and blackout and as a finger

arsheesh
09-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Looking great so far Harrg, I dig the hand drawn style. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Harrg
09-17-2011, 03:59 PM
I have temporarily paused drawing of my map in style hand-drow and have returned to old, but it is temporarily in my plans to draw a map in both styles)

arsheesh
09-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Harrg, I think your mapping skills are really coming together on this map. I like both your hand drawn and your more artistic/photorealistic versions. Great job man!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Harrg
11-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Has almost finished)))

Tigon
11-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Excellent stuff Harrg, and the fonts work really nicely too. What is the one used for the towns/settlements?

Lukc
11-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Nice work :) I want to see how it ends up!

arsheesh
11-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Yeah, this is your best work so far Harg! Looking forward to seeing the end product.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

jbgibson
11-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Those are some very effective dunes, Harrg. I like the rest too - it goes together so well. You've pulled off the 'violate the border' nicely. I too can't wait to see the end result!

Harrg
11-03-2011, 04:46 AM
thanks all of you

What is the one used for the towns/settlements?
I haven't understood that you mean

Tigon
11-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Ah, the lettering (aka font). E.g. Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Zapf Dingbats, etc. You have a place-name that looks to be "Daikan" in Roman script. I was wondering what the lettering/font was, and also for the "Severniy Daikan" region as well come to that. (I like fonts... :))

Oh, a like JB above, I think the desert area (Poustosh?) is really effective.

Harrg
11-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Well I will throw off to you fonts))) (I do not remember the name, I will look)

Tigon
11-03-2011, 12:00 PM
And for those interested: Karmen for the placenames and Bankir-Retro for the regional names. Thanks Harrg!

Harrg
11-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Not up to the end to be pleasant to me the coast around Northern Dajkana and I have decided to alter there coast. As I am am confused with the earths in the southeast where wood of Kel ` Anoren.
I spread a rough example as I want to alter coast, councils and criticism, especially about a southeast part of a card are necessary
Can as to give advice what to add in the center where the earths Harad? There there should be a steppe passing in Horn in the north and in the Пустоши in the south.

Harrg
11-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Ура I have stopped to draw mountains and woods. I will do further the seas and oceans well and etc

Harrg
12-11-2011, 03:17 PM
I have decided to alter once again mountains while they will not be pleasant to me