PDA

View Full Version : Domus

JoeyD473
05-13-2011, 02:44 PM
So I started working on my new world. I decided this time to start it in FT Pro for several reasons. One it gives me more realistic altitude. It gives me reference on climate and most importantly, it creates relatively accurate rivers which means less chance of the river police coming after me. I plan on using the FT map as a reference for drawing in CC3.

Here is the FT map. Other then the stupid straight line river (which FT forces on me unless I put it in Orthographic (Globe) format) are there any other obvious errors, comments or suggestions?

Master TMO
05-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Looks like a nice map. You've got a couple of rivers in there that don't reach the sea, which means they're hitting a lake or below-sealevel pothole. I always enjoy seeing other folks' FT work, so I can compare with my own and maybe learn a new trick.

JoeyD473
05-13-2011, 11:01 PM
I see two in the northern part of the huge continent (How I missed the one is beyond me) Do you see more then the two rivers?

Seraphine_Harmonium
05-13-2011, 11:38 PM
I see three in total. I only caught one in the northern part of the big continent, but look at the mountain in the middle of the south-western part of it. There are two river-networks coming down off the north side that never reach the sea.

JoeyD473
05-14-2011, 03:50 AM
I see all of those, and only one had some pot holes. I have no idea why the others aren't going to a river. So what I think I will do is in CC3 just pretend those rivers don't exsist

Master TMO
05-16-2011, 12:25 AM
One possibility is that it's hitting the original (pre-rotation) line of 0 longitude. FT has some issues with calculating flow across that boundary.

JoeyD473
06-02-2011, 05:20 PM
So I've been working on Domus a little and I made some adjustments. There are still one or two river errors if you zoom in on the ft file but I plan on ignoring those (either erasing the river or by extending it) in CC3 when I export it. I added some desert, some Savannah and some grasslands to the map. I set the climate image to one of the terraformer climates and the altitude to one of the true color terraformer altitudes

Master TMO
06-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Looks good! Looking at those two rivers again, it doesn't look like it's the 0 Longitude line issue, since they don't line up vertically. My guess is that there's a couple of potholes in there where the elevation drops below 0, but are so small they disappear on large views like this one. The River engine stops drawing a river when it hits the water line.

JoeyD473
06-07-2011, 02:01 PM
I zoomed in as far as I can on them and saw nothing at or below 0' altitude, but i shall continue looking

Master TMO
06-07-2011, 03:09 PM
I'd offer to help look, but unfortunately I don't think that's possible, due to the reliance on random numbers in the generation of a world. I zoomed in on that section of your jpeg, but couldn't see anything. About the only other possibility I can think of is that the pothole is somewhere in the middle of the river rather than the end, and that each of them is actually 2 different rivers converging on a point, rather than a single river moving to an endpoint. Good luck!

JoeyD473
06-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Being two rivers meeting at a 0 point is a possibility, I will look in the middle.

I tried to upload the ft file but it is too big, even if zipped apparently.

cfds
06-08-2011, 02:08 AM
I do not how FT differs from Wilbur but in Wilbur rivers terminate at any pothole, it does not have to be at sea level. Rivers just go downhill until they cannot go any further.

Master TMO
06-08-2011, 06:14 AM
Pretty sure rivers in FT will flow uphill out of potholes, unless the pothole is below the water level (not necessarily just sea level, but that's the most common situation in unfinished maps). That's why you should run a Fill Basins before you run rivers, and creating rivers actually includes a Fill Basins in it, although I think it's just temporary and doesn't actually change your map.

JoeyD473
06-08-2011, 03:50 PM
I do fill basins every time

Master TMO
06-08-2011, 09:20 PM
It's not perfect, unfortunately. I'm not privy to the internal workings of the program, but I've quite often had to manually fill basins, even after running Fill Basins. I'm not sure as to why, but I suspect that it can only fill basins to the resoluion of the map, but it's easy to work or zoom in past that limit, and therefore run into potholes that weren't filled in, because it couldn't see them.