PDA

View Full Version : May/June 2011 Lite Challenge Entry - Luyten 7002 Survey Report

Greason Wolfe
05-21-2011, 02:55 AM
The Wolfe is back in towowowown, the Wolfe is back in town . . . .

That's right, after 2+ months of craziness at work and in my personal life, I'm finally back. I know I promised myself I'd only be working on one project at a time, but this was too sweet to pass up. I've got some very specific ideas about how I intend to detail the "main portion" of the map, and I can already see a couple things that I will have to fix, but I figured I'd get this show started . . .

“Captain Ellington?”

“Yes?”

“If you have a moment, Sir, the LAR is seventy-five percent complete, and I have some preliminary reports for you.”

“Let me guess, another losing hand, yes?”

“Actually, Sir, with the exception of a few anomalies, we may have hit the jackpot this time.”

Captain Horatio Ellington looked up from the pile of paperwork he’d been skimming over, one brow arching in surprise. Four years and twenty-seven systems with nothing to show for their work other than a few iron-rich asteroid belts had started to wear on the crew of the CFS Canopus. It had started to wear on him as well. They’d set a new record for failure, and Horatio had taken it upon himself to extend their mission despite orders to return home from the Division of Colonization. Motioning his First Lieutenant into the stateroom, Horatio pushed the paperwork aside. “Let’s see what you have, Lieutenant Reese.”

“Of course, Sir.” Lieutenant Reese made his way to the wall display and called up the reports. “As you know, sir, we found one terrestrial planet in the third orbital slot. Long Range surveys suggested that it might be worth our time to take a closer look at it. As it turns out, those surveys were correct. The atmosphere is a bit on the thin side, but breathable. Gravity and temperature is within reason. Short days, a long year. All in all, Sir, it’s workable in terms of colonization.”

Horatio studied the read-out for a moment, nodding in agreement with the Lieutenant’s conclusion. “Tell me about these anomalies.”

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
05-21-2011, 04:58 AM
WB Wolfe! Hah! I like the 'Image Loading...' line!!!

Greason Wolfe
05-23-2011, 09:19 PM
@ rav : Thanks, it's nice to be back. I won't go into all the details of why I was gone. Suffice it to say I was EXTREMELY busy with everything else.

I'm still in the process of correcting some of the technical data, and, in the process, decided to re-format a few things about this entry. First and foremost, I wanted the system diagram to be a little more correct in terms of size, and distance. Unfortunately, getting the distances truly proportional would make the image horrendously large, so I had to tweak those a little bit. Still, they are fairly close (approximately the cube root of the actual distance) as are the sizes (again, approximately the cube root), and now give a hint of orbital eccentricity. I also wanted to give myself more room to work to include greater detail in the technical data section as well as in the planetary display. Lastly, I wanted to give this more of a "computer screen" look in terms of overall proportions. When all is said and done, I may have to upload the final WIP image through my sister's computer (it's a connection speed thing).

Also . . . I have a typo in the title. It should read as "Luyten 7002 Survey Report" instead of "Luyten 2007." If one of the mods would be so kind as to fix that for me, I'd be appreciative.

### Latest WIP ###

Greason Wolfe
05-23-2011, 11:11 PM
One more quick update for today. Straightened out the Technical Data section, though there are a few numbers I am sure are wrong. The math just wasn't working out very easily, so I fudged them as best I could. Too bad my astrophysicist buddies aren't around anymore. In any event, the next updates are likely to appear as individual parts of the image as I'm almost certain that after I start adding in the planetary imaging, the file size will become too large in terms of memory for me to upload successfully until I have access to a faster connection.

### Latest WIP ###

Greason Wolfe
05-24-2011, 01:48 AM
So I lied, one more update for now. Started building up the planetary display section. I'm thinking I might enlarge the globe portion to fill in a bit more space, but not too much larger. The main portion is broken down into High Altitude Reconnaissance Sweeps to get a basic picture of what the world looks like. The idea came from an episode of Battlestar Galactica where they are searching for Starbuck. I've still got to set up a detailed map for the top right corner of the planetary display section in relation to one of those anomalies that were mentioned earlier.

As a side note, I've been particularly inspired by this challenge for some reason and have a short story in the works that I may include as an additional attachment at some point.

### Latest WIP ###

Troedel
05-24-2011, 04:24 AM
This is very good and will be even better. Great entry!

tilt
05-24-2011, 09:30 AM
wb wolf .... woooo... and nice idea.. personal I'm partial to the info about axial tilt.. bigger letters there please *lol* .. changed your title for you :)

Greason Wolfe
05-24-2011, 12:34 PM
wb wolf .... woooo... and nice idea.. personal I'm partial to the info about axial tilt.. bigger letters there please *lol* .. changed your title for you :)

@ tilt - Thank ye kindly, I appreciate that.

Not much of an update here. I enlarged the global view to be consistent with what I plan for the detailed view in terms of size, and added a few of the "bells and whistles" to give more of a "window" feel to the various portions of the map. Have a few more "bells and whistles" to add at the bottom and then I'll be working up the detailed view. Hope to have everything wrapped up in the next few days, then I'll get serious about writing that story.

### Latest WIP ###

Greason Wolfe
05-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Added a few more "bells and whistles," changed some of the previous "bells and whistles" to get a more consistent feel and reformatted the global view window for the same reason. The only major thing left is the Low Altitude Photographic Survey window to go in the upper right corner of the HARS window and a few markers. Might try to come up with an application icon, but that will be a last little tweak that will have to wait until the remainder of the map is done.

### Latest WIP ###

Ares96
05-26-2011, 05:13 PM
This is very nice. However, it appears you've just copy-pasted planets from the local solar system in a different order. If you search for them, there are other planet photos on the web.

jtougas
05-26-2011, 05:48 PM
I think I get your reference in my post (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?14762-May-June-Lite-Challenge-Entry-UNC-201.F&p=154551#post154551). The planet in that post and these planets are not copy-paste images. My planet was generated in GIMP by me and I'm assuming (with a high probability of being correct) that GW created his planets from scratch as well. And Great work GW holy data. :)

Troedel
05-26-2011, 06:15 PM
I think he used stargen as stated in "programs used" and tweaked the result. But I don´t understand the critique. It´s not (only) about the pieces, it´s the puzzle. And this one is coming along absolutley great. Composing and idea are very good.

Greason Wolfe
05-26-2011, 06:25 PM
@ Ares69 - Yes, those are very simple copies of what's already in our system and serving as place holders for the time being. If I have enough time, I'll generate more individualized planets for each spot.

@ jtougas & Troedel - Yep, Stargen (Winstargen) is a major source for this map. Most of the planetary data for the main planet (all the others as well) was generated based on the mass of Luyten 7002 according to ISDB (Internet Stellar Database). I've added some bits and pieces here and there, threw the land/sea percentages, temperature base and rainfall amounts (based on cloud cover percentages) through FTPro to generate the Globe view and the Hammer view in use, then slapped in a climate overlay. I've cut a tiny chunk out of the world for a detailed view to be processed in Wilbur then rendered in Terragen. That's my main goal for tomorrow (and possibly the weekend), although I'm seeing a few more things I need to tweak in what's already done.

GW

jtougas
05-26-2011, 06:26 PM
I think he used stargen as stated in "programs used" and tweaked the result. But I don´t understand the critique. It´s not (only) about the pieces, it´s the puzzle. And this one is coming along absolutley great. Composing and idea are very good.

I agree (I think my praise got lost in my explanation to Ares69 this is really very good.) :)

timallen
05-27-2011, 11:58 AM
That is amazing! It never occurred to me to even Try to simulate Real information like that!

Greason Wolfe
05-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Not as much of an update as I had hoped for. After an exceptionally long day and night, I ended up wasting better than half of today catching up on my sleep. That being said, I reformatted the "System Display" window. The first time round, my math must have changed at some point. As for the planets, I don't think I'll be changing them. I played with that a little bit and just wasn't happy with the look. To that end, one could assume that they are standard icons used to avoid cluttering up memory with dozens upon dozens upon dozens of individual planets. I also dropped a couple of the sub-jovian planets, replacing one with an asteroid belt and the other with a gas giant. I also pulled the "Rotational Controls" bar from the global view under the assumption that it would be rotating constantly anyhow. Dropped in a very basic test render in the LAPS window just to see what the final lay-out looked like. There's still a lot of work to do in Terragen before that part is finished.

### Latest WIP ###

Ares96
05-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Are the areas shown as 'in progress' there for flavour or are you going to fill them in later?

Greason Wolfe
05-30-2011, 05:07 PM
@ Ares69 - The HARS and LAPS Operations are an ongoing process, and this map captures the progress of those operations "in the moment," so those areas that are "in Progress" will remain so.

Update - So just a few more bells and whistles and the first shot at the LAPS portion of the map. I'm not sure I got what I wanted out of it. Trying to depict the remains of previous inhabitants of the world. As to what happened to them, the crew of the Elysian will have to dig a little deeper. I'm thinking, however, that the previous inhabitants weren't overly advanced in terms of technology which, in turn, begs to question how an artificial satellite got into orbit around the world. Ah, but the mystery deepens.

In any event, I might take another stab at the LAPS portion of the map and see if I can pack in more buildings. If I do that, I'll probably try to reconstruct the rest of the textures as well, just to give a more overgrown look.

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
05-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Looking stunning, GW...I love those ...in progress bars!!! Please keep a few for the final product! It adds a sense of the map being created in front of your eyes (as a computer would). I've never seen that in any of the maps on the guild and it's a great device.

The HARS and LAPS Operations are an ongoing process, and this map captures the progress of those operations "in the moment," so those areas that are "in Progress" will remain so.

Ah you were there before me!

arsheesh
05-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Great looking map Greason Wolf, I am quite impressed.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Greason Wolfe
05-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Update - Re-fabricated the LAPS portion of the map to include more ruins, a few forested area, and a few structures that have remained intact. Admittedly, this portion of the map has been a bit frustrating given the limited space I'm working with, and I'm not sure if the ruins, forests, and intact structures are as clearly visible as they could be. Also re-worded a few things here and there just to get a little more consistency. Finding that I didn't particularly care for the "cross-hairs" used as location markers for the LAPS Operations, I tried something a little different. The new markers could probably be a bit cleaner, but my tired old version of Paintshop Pro is doing the best it can. I've pretty much given up on the idea of including application icons for the various windows as nothing I've come up with so far seems to fit the theme of the map as well as I'd hoped.

With all that said, at this point, unless I come up with any major new ideas for this map, I am going to call it finished, and try to get to work on the story behind the map. Ironically, that story has expanded significantly which, in turn, is forcing me to consider re-visiting this map after the challenge is over with plans for some major expansion. We'll see how that goes.

### Latest WIP ###

Ares96
05-31-2011, 06:49 PM
@ Ares69 - The HARS and LAPS Operations are an ongoing process, and this map captures the progress of those operations "in the moment," so those areas that are "in Progress" will remain so.

I see. And from now on, please try to spell my username right.

jtougas
05-31-2011, 08:30 PM
This just keeps getting better. And as for the story: Isn't that always the way. One map and your spinning off a whole new project. :)