PDA

View Full Version : The Tremontine Continent: A map for a fantasy novel series

MeiLin
05-21-2011, 02:50 AM
Hi folks--

I'm neither an artist nor a cartographer but I'm having fun working on this map. It's way overdue--book one is already out--and it's a good way to avoid writing book two. I'm using the Saderan tutorial to work on this, but I'm using Gimp 2.6 so it's inexact. I don't have the vegetation layers in nor the rivers, country/duchy lines or major cities marked, and I'm not happy with the mountains and general elevations. I have no idea if I've even got the right scale; the continent was randomly generated, but within a couple of difference cloud applications I got a shape that was scarily accurate for the world that's lived in my head for four years now so I went with it. Thanks for all the info you guys share so generously here. I've been looking for something like this for a long time.

jtougas
05-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Looks good. The scale seems massive enough based on the size of your mountains. Speaking of your mountains you may want to try to lower the opacity of the "snow" layer. Although from this altitude they would look pretty much like you have them. :)

MeiLin
05-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I just laid down the snow layer; I only just started "carving" it, in fact I just spotted a giant artifact I meant to get rid of before posting. *headdesk*

Thanks for the comment. Looking at it now I think I'm happier with the mountains. I think I need to post it with the rough overlay of the duchies and cities and give some idea of distances to see if I'm totally high or what. :)

MeiLin
08-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Hi folks--

I haven't had time to either work on this map or come by here until today. Here is where it stands now:

It's far from done; I haven't placed the cities or rivers yet, for instance, and I'm not 100% happy with the contouring. Thanks for sharing this community with me.

tilt
08-26-2011, 03:15 AM
looks good. I'd spend a little more time on the labelling, lot of your labels are very straight, and that often seems a little of, also try keeping the labels inside the landmasses (or bodies of water) - but very nice - looking forward to seing your rivers and cities added as well :)

and have some rep :)

arsheesh
08-26-2011, 02:42 PM
I agree with Tilt. I also think that the labels are a bit on the large side, but otherwise I think it looks really nice.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

EDIT: BTW, nice to see another member here from P-town!

MeiLin
08-27-2011, 01:34 AM
Yay, Portland! :)

I wasn't sure how to handle the labels. Good to know. I was just thrilled I figured out how to set type on a path. :) Thanks, guys!

tilt
08-27-2011, 01:56 AM
you could try looking at other maps for inspiration - in my signature try clicking finished maps and then look at "Mountain Realms", I've labeled using size of text for size of element (mountain, forest, city etc) and also used colors to differentiate between the countries and different elements :)

Steel General
08-27-2011, 07:46 AM
This is coming along quite nicely.

zaffu
08-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Nice! I really like the watercolor effect of the background colors.

MeiLin
08-28-2011, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the praise, guys. It makes me feel like I might have something worthy to put in the books when it's done. I've showed the preliminary map to some of my readers and they're demanding posters, which I think is premature. :lol:

tilt
08-28-2011, 03:34 AM
hehe... also remember, if you're talking posters, you have to make sure you have sufficient resolution in your maps. Multiply the needed size with 300 to get the amount of pixels needed to make a professional print :) ... so 20 x 30 inches would be 6000 x 9000 pixels :)

MeiLin
08-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Right now at 300 dpi (I'm working at that resolution because this is being made for print--just not any bigger than a book) it works out to about six inches square; I hadn't really intended on posters.

jbgibson
09-04-2011, 09:45 PM
You have a poster-sized image, it'll just have a Really Wide Margin :-). Ahhh..... room for autographs, that's what the white space is. But you say there's only the one of you? Not so. Each of your friends with distinctive penmanship does a different character from the books.....

MeiLin
09-04-2011, 10:02 PM
JB, :D

Actually what I was thinking of doing was making a second map of the capital city and possibly commissioning my artist to paint the fortress/castle there, and bunging them all onto the one poster. We'll see how book two presales go; they start Tuesday. If I get enough $$ I'll definitely commission the painting, but I'll have to do a lot better than book one's presales. I raised $2500 last time; I think I need to raise almost twice that for book two if I want the extra artwork. I may Kickstart the poster separately. We'll see.

I need to work on this map this week, but I've gotta finish the book, too!