PDA

View Full Version : May/June Lite Challenge Entry: UNC 201.F

jtougas
05-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Carol Mayer couldn't quite believe what had happened. The planet Valkos had been stripped clean of all life by the USMG bombers and she had sat in the briefing room of Interworld CEO Parker Northrup's personal transport vehicle and WATCHED. She nearly vomited on the smug bastard when he smiled at her and reported the news. Valkos had huge deposits of Uranium and Nexium. both immensely valuable. Valuable enough to make the extermination of Valkos viable. Mayer wondered what the intelligent inhabitants of the planet thought was happening to them. The surveys had shown that they were pre-technology. The probably thought they had angered their gods and were being punished. Mayer knew that the plasma incendiary bombs used left little time for any kind of reflection. They ignited and everything not made of rock turned to ash. The thought made her desperate for a drink. Now barely 6 weeks later after her complete lack of conviction after all her brave self-talk and complete cowardice. The Interworld Survey Ship Nebraska was orbiting another green world. Mayer wished with a passion that approached prayer that they would find nothing. But somehow deep in her guts she knew better....

Here we go again.. I decided this challenge sounded like a good excuse to follow the continued adventures of that tortured soul Survey Captain Carol Mayer and the Giant Evil Conglomerate known as Interworld Energy. I also wanted to work on my planet building skills. I'm pretty proud of this one. now for all the "survey" bits....

###LATEST WIP###

Ascension
05-21-2011, 07:45 PM
That's a good-lookin planet, man.

Jaxilon
05-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I agree with Ascension, that looks really great. Well done and would like to know how you created the planet. Look forward to seeing the rest man.

jtougas
05-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I agree with Ascension, that looks really great. Well done and would like to know how you created the planet. Look forward to seeing the rest man.

Thanks guys. Jax I used THIS (http://mygimptutorial.com/the-ultimate-gimp-planet-tutorial) tutorial. The only thing I had trouble with was the script that the actual planet base was made from. For some reason it just wouldn't run for me. I figured out how to emulate the results by using various shadows and gradients with layer masks (something else I hadn't done to this point.) The really tricky part of the tut is the textures. It's very time consuming to piece all of the different parts of the image together so that they make sense. I did it the tutorial way and did not like how the image looked after the apply lens effect so I went back and created my own texture with just some rocky texture that I had. The coloring was tricky too but I got the result I was after. I tend to like "lacy" landmasses so that it doesn't look too much like earth. I'm not 100% on the clouds I would have liked them to be a bit more transparent but they are multiple layers turned this way and that and all in all look ok for now.

jtougas
05-23-2011, 05:26 PM
"Godam..." Carol Mayer was so angry she found herself sputtering. The looks from her bridge crew were enough to make her stop. "Those bastards" she continued to herself. "They installed remote filtering and tracking software during the last upgrade" She wasn't all that surprised given her reaction in orbit around Valkos. They would have wanted to control the reports and who could see them. She had hoped that she would be able to alter any anomalous readings that might draw the Survey Office's attention but they had made that impossible. She couldn't even view the survey report from her ready room or from her remote monitor in the captains chair. The only place that she could see it was from the Survey Station, where everyone else could see as well. She had no doubt that all the survey information was going straight back to the Interworld offices where that genocidal maniac Parker Northrup could view it at his leisure. She pulled her flask from her pocket and took a deep drink from it. The whiskey burned like fire and Mayer enjoyed every last bit of it. She couldn't care less about the stares from her crew that the action caused. "To hell with it and to hell with all of you" she said to herself before taking another long drink.......

I added some "planetary data" to this (don't beat me up if it's horribly wrong I have no idea about any of that sort of stuff I was just going for a fairly earth-like world. :) ) I also added some borders and some "touch here" areas to show that this is a monitor.

###LATEST WIP###

jtougas
05-24-2011, 04:10 PM
The alert bell woke Mayer from an uneasy sleep. She fumbled about for her coverall and walked out onto the bridge." I must be quite a sight" she said to herself as she could feel the eyes of her crew on her. Last nights drunken tirade in the mess was sure to be news across the Survey Office by now. "Oh well" She said to herself "To hell with them" She made her way to the survey station as it was obvious thats why she was awoken. Half the crew stood around the monitor which showed various sets of data as well as a large photographic view of the planet. Her survey officer looked at Mayer with something akin to barely restrained disgust and began her report." Captain, there have been several anomalous readings coming from the planet." Carol's heart nearly jumped out of her chest. The survey officer continued." In the Northern Hemisphere the scans have indicated the presence of various ores including a significant amount of Uranium and Nexium." Mayer could feel the crew looking at her waiting for some kind of reaction. Strangely enough the news made her feel rather numb. She just wished the SO would get on with it so she could get back to bed. The survey officer obliged her unspoken request." The Southern Hemisphere however is a different story. The scans seem to be being blocked by something." Carol got a lot more interested at that statement. "Blocked" she said." By what?" Her survey officer shook her head. "We don't know and the scans have been locked out by the IWSO" her voice trailed off a bit at the end of the sentence and Mayer took that as a condemnation. Normally Mayer or the SO could merely touch the screen to enlarge the area of interest. This would bring up another screen with the scan data superimposed over the image of the AOI. Not any more. The lockout not only stopped the scan but it made it impossible for Mayer or anyone else to edit the parameters to get a "better look". Mayer sighed loudly and then noticed the bottom of the survey monitor's screen was blinking. "Son of a B.." she cut herself off mid curse. The IWSO was remotely uplinking to the Nebraska. This meant that not only could they monitor every piece of data coming into the ship but the could actually control any of the ships functions as well. Mayer knew with a dread certainty that this latest development would not end well...

Fiddled with the overall look of this some more. I am having a bit of difficulty deciding whether or not I like the boxes around the "touch here" parts. Also I'm trying to build the story onto this with the "anomalous" readings and things like that. All in all this is turning out pretty much how I envisioned it in my head. I just wish it wasn't quite so "boring". Hmm... :)

###LATEST WIP###

jtougas
05-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Carol Mayer sat in her chair on the bridge and stared at the view-screen. It had been three days since the anomalous readings had been reported and still she had received no word from the IWSO. The scans still couldn't penetrate the blocking field in the Southern Hemisphere. Mayer had spent a cautious afternoon trying to find the source of the tracking and filtering software in a vain hope of overriding it. All in all she had rarely before felt more useless. Why was she even out here? The IWSO could run all the scans review all the reports and even navigate her ship all from Earth, why did they need her and her crew? The screen shifted and a close up view of the AOI in the Southern Hemisphere came into focus. Obviously one of the egg heads in the IWSO had figured out how to penetrate the blocking field. Mayer stood and walked to the view-screen for a closer look. As the image finally came into focus Mayer was amazed. There in a valley between two massive mountains was a city. A honest to goodness city with lights and tall buildings and even some kind of vehicle moving about on what had to be streets. Mayer was stunned. Every scientist of her time had predicted that advanced intelligent life was so rare that Humans would almost certainly never contact it. And yet here she was in orbit around their planet. Mayer shuddered to think what that bastard Northrup and his cronies would think of this development.....

I finally had a idea about the buttons. I decided to make them look like buttons. (wow that was easy). :) I think I might be mostly done with this. The struggle for me in this challenge was to make something that looked like a bunch of data on a monitor without making it look like it came from Star Trek. (not thats there is anything wrong with that) And without making it look simply like a bunch of words on an image. I'm not sure if I captured exactly what I was going for but I think it looks pretty good. :)

###LATEST WIP###

Troedel
05-25-2011, 05:56 PM
The techspeak is amazing... How do you come up with this? Or else... where did you get it from? It reads very scientific ( for me ;) ). Keep up.

jtougas
05-25-2011, 06:48 PM
The techspeak is amazing... How do you come up with this? Or else... where did you get it from? It reads very scientific ( for me ;) ). Keep up.

Thanks. The planetary data is just a mish mash of stuff that I looked up on Google (I'm sure it's all scientifically garbage but I don't worry about that too much) The rest is straight out of my head. I was/am a HUGE sci-fi fan so all of the geek-speak kind of stuck in my head. :)

Ascension
05-25-2011, 10:03 PM
The text in the boxes on the planet I can't read...the stroke is the same width as the letters, which are small, plus there are black and red text. Maybe we aren't meant to be able to read the text and if so, then perfect :) but if we are then maybe just make the text white.

Ares96
05-26-2011, 11:37 AM
This is well done, but I still have two pointers:

1) The technological information is not very good. This planet is only slightly larger than Mars, and yet it has almost Earth's surface area and gravity.
2) HOW DARE YOU BRING JPEGS INTO THIS LAND!?

Greason Wolfe
05-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Have to agree with Ascension about the text in some areas. All in all, though, it looks good, and I wouldn't worry too much about the "techspeak." No matter how accurate you might be, someone's always gonna come along and point out the errors. It's just the nature of the game.

GW

jtougas
05-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Carol Mayer couldn't stop staring at the view-screen. Amazingly enough no one at the IWSO had turned it off or even contacted her. "Probably too busy running around trying to figure out what to do next" she said to herself. The city below was experiencing sunrise and the road network was getting busy. Mayer still couldn't adjust any of the scan parameters due to the lockout and she was aching for a closer look. Intelligent life had proved to be not so rare as the scientists predicted but in over 50 years of FTL space exploration, this was the first contact with a species at least as advanced as humanity. The entire crew had found an excuse to be on the bridge at some point during the night so many that Mayer had to order them back to work. She could understand their fascination. She returned to her chair to reach for her cup of coffee just in time to hear the proximity alert beep. The alert was mainly in place for docking to alert the navigator of another ship in their vicinity. Mayer knew there were no other ships any where near the Nebraska. She was proved wrong as a small vessel sped by the view-screen. She ran to the survey station. "Track whatever that was!" She shouted at her survey officer. The SO shook her head "I can't the damn lockout...." Mayer cursed loudly and went back to the view-screen. For a moment she had a terrible vision of Parker Northrup and the USMG bombers......

Thanks for the comments everyone. Ascension you're right as usual. I've been working at a pretty high zoom level on this and was trying to force the text into a small box.Of course making it virtually unreadable in the process. I fixed it so that it looks better and is readable. Ares96 I figured I'd get called out on the planetary data. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to that stuff and I was just looking for some numbers that sounded good. I did go back and make the planet "bigger" to maybe make some of those numbers make sense. I don't understand the jpeg reference though? :) I added some "science station" stuff to make it more monitor like.

###LATEST WIP###

Ares96
05-26-2011, 05:08 PM
I don't understand the jpeg reference though? :)

Isn't that a JPG?

jtougas
05-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Isn't that a JPG?

The image is saved in jpeg format yes.

jtougas
05-26-2011, 06:23 PM
There had been no further sighting of the ship that had buzzed past the Nebraska. Carol Mayer had spent the rest of the afternoon alternately staring at the view-screen and arguing with the IWSO. They refused to lift the lockouts and even denied the existence of the small vessel that almost everyone on the bridge of the Nebraska had seen. Mayer actually understood why. If they acknowledged it's existence then they were acknowledging the fact that an advanced species DID live on this planet. That would be a serious problem when it came time to decide whether or not to mine this world. Mayer didn't delude herself she knew that Northrup and Interworld Energy would get the minerals off of this planet one way or another. The USMG was basically a puppet to Interworld due to the nations overwhelming energy addiction. As Mayer contemplated this development one thought came to her again and again. What if they fought back?....

One more update. I realized that I had spelled "presence" wrong (I spell SO badly) and I added a few more "buttons" and a reticule. :)

###LATEST WIP###

Diamond
05-27-2011, 01:44 AM
Wow. Just... wow. I want to vote for all four entries so far.

Ares96
05-27-2011, 10:50 AM
The image is saved in jpeg format yes.

Try not to, the compression causes the edges to blur in a very bad-looking way. It kind of spoils this whole entry (which is great otherwise).

tilt
05-27-2011, 11:42 AM
or you could save in jpg uncompressed (or with a higher setting) ... its mostly contrast edges and stuff like text that suffer from low compression :)

timallen
05-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Pretty amazing detail and great back-story too! The details are what I'm not good at. Now I have to go and tweak my own map! ;-)

As to jpgs; what tilt said. I use 'em and just make sure the res. is high and the image large.

jtougas
05-27-2011, 12:16 PM
There had been two more sightings of the small fast vessels that day. Carol Mayer knew she wasn't going to be able to sleep so she stayed on the bridge. The survey computer had been busy during the afternoon and into the night. It had discovered another AOI or Area of Interest. Of course due to the IWSO lockout Mayer and her crew couldn't see just what it was. Mayer imagined it was another city. After all any species advanced enough for spaceflight would be advanced enough to build more than one city. Mayer found herself excited about her job for the first time in years. She was also furious at the IWSO for not letting her do it. She had so many questions. What did they look like? Were they humanoid? How did they perceive the Nebraska? Mayer was forming the impression that who or whatever they were they were just as curious as she was. The IWSO had been silent for almost a day now and Mayer knew that that wasn't good......

Thanks everyone for your comments. As far as the jpeg issue goes I apologize for not understanding and for making a false assumption. I've always saved in jpeg format with the quality slider set to 100% (I use GIMP) I never realized there was a problem (this image is 2000 x 2000). Thanks for the info. :) Todays update: I wasn't happy with the giant information "balloons" that I had made. they just didn't look right to me. I went back and made them smaller and color coded them depending on what kind of scan was running. I also color coded the text to match. I added some "data" to the reticule (it's just nonsense there for atmosphere). :)

###LATEST WIP###

jtougas
05-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Carol Mayer couldn't believe it. The small ship had taken station five thousand meters off of the Nebraska's bow. It had just held there for over an hour now. Mayer was amazed. It was surely a small fighter of some sort. Although the scans of it's interior were being blocked, she could surmise a few things about it from it's exterior. It was black which to her said "military". Of course she could be wildly wrong about that. It was very powerful and maneuverable. Odd for a space-faring craft that didn't have some kind of military function. It was just out of the view-screens current zoom level so she could not make out whether or not it carried any markings. It had not moved not signaled the Nebraska or done anything else. Mayer found herself to be both riveted and nervous. She knew with a certainty that Parker Northrup and the USMG were seeing exactly what she was seeing. She hoped it scared them to death...

Last update on this, lest I just completely fill it up with too much stuff. (so easy on a map like this). I added some buttons for the AOI s and put in a little fighter craft that I found on the internet. :)

###LATEST WIP###

Ares96
05-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Carol Mayer couldn't believe it. The small ship had taken station five thousand meters off of the Nebraska's bow. It had just held there for over an hour now. Mayer was amazed. It was surely a small fighter of some sort. Although the scans of it's interior were being blocked, she could surmise a few things about it from it's exterior. It was black which to her said "military". Of course she could be wildly wrong about that. It was very powerful and maneuverable. Odd for a space-faring craft that didn't have some kind of military function. It was just out of the view-screens current zoom level so she could not make out whether or not it carried any markings. It had not moved not signaled the Nebraska or done anything else. Mayer found herself to be both riveted and nervous. She knew with a certainty that Parker Northrup and the USMG were seeing exactly what she was seeing. She hoped it scared them to death...

Last update on this, lest I just completely fill it up with too much stuff. (so easy on a map like this). I added some buttons for the AOI s and put in a little fighter craft that I found on the internet. :)

###LATEST WIP###

Cool! Thanks for heeding my advice. It really looks much better now!

rdanhenry
05-29-2011, 03:09 PM
"Current Scan: Photographic (Long)" (missing "o")

Surface area should be in square kilometers, not kilometers.

jtougas
05-29-2011, 03:46 PM
rdanhenry
"Current Scan: Photographic (Long)" (missing "o")

Surface area should be in square kilometers, not kilometers

Thanks Fixed both issues :)

###LATEST WIP###

Steel General
05-30-2011, 08:51 AM
This is coming along quite nicely, my only critique at the moment is the small white text on the red 'buttons' tends to bleed into the background (at least for me). No need to change it, just wanted to point it out. :)

jtougas
05-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Carol Mayer felt like she was constantly in a sense of disbelief. The IWSO "Black Team" leader had contacted her. He was not a military looking man. He was a bespectacled man of middle age with a soft face and thinning hair. He introduced himself as professor David Hunter. Mayer almost laughed aloud. Professor David Hunter was the IWSO's expert on alien life. his team known as the "Black Team" for their secretive nature was en route to UNC 201.F to try to communicate with this species. Mayer was amazed that such a team even existed. Why not just send in the bombers as they had done so many other times before. Then it hit her. "Of course" she said to herself. They must have seen something in the scans that Mayer and her crew had not. Something that made Parker Northrup very very nervous...

Todays update: Thanks SG for the feedback. You were right if you looked at it long enough the optical illusion of the white text on the red buttons was very strong. I changed all the text to black and made it larger. I think it fixes the problem. :)

###LATEST WIP###

ravells
05-31-2011, 04:56 AM
Top quality, JT!!! I love the simple hairline map grid.

arsheesh
05-31-2011, 02:51 PM
JT this looks just incredible! Really great work on this one!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

ravells
05-31-2011, 04:09 PM
lol, I don't know why we bother with lite challenges....they're every bit as good as the main ones.

jtougas
05-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Dieter Warthburg was walking back to his quaters, the communiqe from HQ foremost on his mind. He had to find a good planet to mine and soon if he was to keep his job, not to mention his life. Interworld had just scored a major succes in sector 124 B and the Hannover-Rossik share was still way behind after the corruption scandal last fall. He sighed as he put his hand on the scanner. As the door opened he saw the screen flicking on - a message blinking - a private message. He knew who it was before he even reached the screen and he had no interest in talking to him now, listening to the threats, to how high his debts were by now. He sighed, sat down and poured himself a drink. Slowly sipping it letting it roll around his tongue... savoring the taste he leaned back... that Carol had given him some expensive tastes, but damn this was good whiskey. He wondered were she were now - probably gotten out while she was ahead. She hated the job, she told him on more than one occasion - in confidence of course - and drunk. Well they both were drunk, who wouldn't be with jobs like theirs. The glass was empty - already. He put it down on the desk and was just about to open the message getting ready to beg for his life when his com sounded.
"Captain - we got a promising planet only 2 jumps away." the ensign said.
Dieter smiled.

Carol Mayer was exhausted. She hadn't slept in days. She had been far too busy staring at the view-screen at the small ship. She sat in her ready room with a glass of whiskey. She looked at the bottle that to her dismay was nearly empty. "This was really good stuff" She said to herself. She fumbled for a minute trying to remember where it had came from and then it came to her. Dieter Warthburg. That poor S.O.B from Hannover-Rossik Mining. They were Interworld's European Union competition. Every bit as ruthless as IW just not quite as lucky. Her mind wandered back to those nights she had spent with Dieter. He was just as miserable about his job as she was about hers. She had, (in a drunken vulnerable moment) told him about her farm and her dreams of leaving Interworld and it's genocidal lust for energy far behind. He had also voiced the same goal. She wondered if he had made good on it. Dieter had confided in her that he owed a great sum of money to the company and was in danger of not only losing his job but in fact his life. Mayer sighed loudly at the irony of life. Two people both miserable and suffering trapped in a cycle of destruction that neither of them could change. She hoped for his sake that Dieter had figured out a way to escape. She downed the last of her whiskey in a great gulp and poured another voicing a silent toast to her lost companion.....

Thanks everyone for the kind words :)

This story is so much fun that I just had to do something to this map so that I could keep it going. I added a small "moon" in orbit around UNC 201.F (And of course it has no mineral value whatsoever) :)

###LATEST WIP###

tilt
05-31-2011, 05:37 PM
yeah :) ... I hope she gets out ;)

jtougas
06-01-2011, 03:26 PM
I added a bit of a shadow to the moon. Sorry no story I have the WORST headache. :)

###LATEST WIP###

jtougas
06-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Carol Mayer had nearly had to take herself off of the bridge of the Nebraska. The "Black Team" had arrived and had reported to her ship. Professor David Hunter was even more unassuming in person. As was his team. Made up of 5 scholarly looking younger people they introduced themselves and went about their business. The IWSO had contacted her and given her orders that the team was to use her ready room for all their activity. Of course this also meant that Mayer or her crew would have no idea what was going on. As amusing as she found David Hunter and his team she sincerely hoped that they knew what they were doing and would have the courtesy to inform her before the shooting started....

More story. more map :) I added a reticule around UNC 201.G (the moon) and changed the color of the grid text to denote..well..Something :)

###LATEST WIP###

Diamond
06-03-2011, 11:53 PM
You're gonna kill me for saying this, but... I feel like the moon was a bad idea. It looks too flat compared to the planet. Is there a way you can apply a Spherize filter to it (if Gimp has such a thing)?

jtougas
06-04-2011, 01:35 PM
You're gonna kill me for saying this, but... I feel like the moon was a bad idea. It looks too flat compared to the planet. Is there a way you can apply a Spherize filter to it (if Gimp has such a thing)?

Not at all. I enjoy the feedback. A lot of times I spend so much time looking at these things that I don't always see ways I could make it better, or in this case ways that I actually made it worse. I made the moon the same way I made the planet minus the "atmosphere" which I think is probably why it looks so flat. I'll try to map the texture onto a globe and see if that makes any difference. :)

jtougas
06-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Well that moon turned out to be more of a problem than I originally thought. After many "blurs" and shadows I think I might have gotten something a bit more "spherical" :)

###LATEST WIP###

Omnigeek6
06-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Well that moon turned out to be more of a problem than I originally thought. After many "blurs" and shadows I think I might have gotten something a bit more "spherical" :)

###LATEST WIP###

Given your published diameter and a viewfield angle of 60 degrees, the camera is at an altitude of 9000 km.

It has a mass of 0.97 earths and a diameter of 11567.6 km, so its roche limit is at about 20,000 km.

Given its angular size (200 pixels, 1/6th the size of the planet) your moon would have the smallest diameter if it orbited at the roche limit. Assuming that the planet and moon have an angular separation of 15 degrees, using the law of cosines, we find that the minimum possible separation between the camera and the moon is about 28,800 km. Therefore, given the moon's angular diameter of 8.57 degrees (The viewfield is assumed to be 60 degrees, the moon is 200 pixels wide, and the image is 1400 pixels wide).

Therefore, I calculate that the moon is 4300 km in diameter, so if it has the same density as Earth's moon, it has a mass of 1.89 moons. Since tidal force varies with the cube of distance, and your moon is also about 20X closer to its parent than Earth's moon is to Earth, tidal forces on this planet will be over 15000 times stronger than on Earth. Therefore, the planet will almost certainly be tidally locked to its moon.

Your moon should have an orbit 7.69 hours long, and with tidal locking that should also be the planet's rotational period. However, your planet's rotational period is 25.12 hours.

In short, that moon looks a bit big. You might wanna scale it down. For comparison, our moon would be 12 pixels in diameter.

tilt
06-05-2011, 02:50 AM
nerd!... lol... but damn cool calculations, couldn't even begin to do something like that :)

Aval Penworth
06-05-2011, 07:39 AM
You've come a long way since I was last here J.T.

Tre' cool.

Ascension
06-05-2011, 11:00 AM
OG6, that's some awesome calculating there, man. Very nice.

jtougas
06-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Given your published diameter and a viewfield angle of 60 degrees, the camera is at an altitude of 9000 km.

It has a mass of 0.97 earths and a diameter of 11567.6 km, so its roche limit is at about 20,000 km.

Given its angular size (200 pixels, 1/6th the size of the planet) your moon would have the smallest diameter if it orbited at the roche limit. Assuming that the planet and moon have an angular separation of 15 degrees, using the law of cosines, we find that the minimum possible separation between the camera and the moon is about 28,800 km. Therefore, given the moon's angular diameter of 8.57 degrees (The viewfield is assumed to be 60 degrees, the moon is 200 pixels wide, and the image is 1400 pixels wide).

Therefore, I calculate that the moon is 4300 km in diameter, so if it has the same density as Earth's moon, it has a mass of 1.89 moons. Since tidal force varies with the cube of distance, and your moon is also about 20X closer to its parent than Earth's moon is to Earth, tidal forces on this planet will be over 15000 times stronger than on Earth. Therefore, the planet will almost certainly be tidally locked to its moon.

Your moon should have an orbit 7.69 hours long, and with tidal locking that should also be the planet's rotational period. However, your planet's rotational period is 25.12 hours.

In short, that moon looks a bit big. You might wanna scale it down. For comparison, our moon would be 12 pixels in diameter.

WOW..Thanks for that. Again just showing that I stick stuff where I think it might be "pretty" without the slightest concern about what actually IS. :)

arsheesh
06-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Disproportionally scaled medium sized bodies aside, this map just keeps getting more awesome JT!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

jtougas
06-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I removed the moon as it was just being a giant hassle and not really adding anything to the map. I want to call this one done as it is FAR too easy to just start adding stuff to one of these and take it from being pretty good to ruined. This was a fun challenge and I got to write some more (always a plus for me) and I got to collaborate a bit with Tilt. Win Win Win. :)

###LATEST WIP###

Diamond
06-09-2011, 03:24 AM
I think it was a good call getting rid of the moon. This looks just fan-damn-tastic.

ravells
06-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Looking fab! The only small comment I can make is that the 'Screen Resolution / Image Source' label needs to be centred to the button background like the others.

jtougas
06-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Carol Mayer sprinted down the corridor to the bridge. "Dammit" she said to herself, "I knew it. And of course the first time I leave the damn bridge in three days.." Her self narrative was cut short as the Nebraska lurched violently once again. Something had gone horribly wrong with David Hunter and his "Black Team". Apparently the residents of this planet had an issue with Interworld mining their minerals. The call had come down from the bridge that the small ship had fired on the Nebraska and worse still there were 6 more of the small agile craft making orbit. Finally reaching the bridge Mayer turned to her operations officer and barked for a report. The operations officer to her credit didn't seem fazed by the recent turn of events and calmly delivered her report. "Captain, the alien ships have made orbit and seem to be maneuvering to surround our vessel. The original ship has opened fire on us and we have sustained damage to the forward sensors and the leading edge of the hull. I have no report at this time of casualties." Mayer stood very close to the view-screen and stared at the little ship which was much closer now. What the hell had gone wrong she wondered to herself. She couldn't return fire not with the lockouts. She was almost ashamed of the thought but she almost wished the USMG and it's fighter bombers would arrive. Regardless she knew that this was the opening round of what was sure to be a devastating battle. She couldn't help but wonder if she would survive it...

Hmm...Maybe a little "cross challenge" tie in there...? Anyway thanks for all the feedback everyone as usual your comments are helping me make a better entry. I fixed the "button" issue. It was way too big in proportion to the other buttons so I fixed that along with the text. I also added some "indicators" along the sides of the screen maybe "X" and "Y" ? Sounds good to me. :)

###LATEST WIP###