PDA

View Full Version : Cartographia

tilt
05-27-2011, 07:57 AM
I've been tossing a thought around in my head for a long time now and after being swamped with work these last months I feel like mapping again, so what better time to realise my idea. So this is the map of Cartographia - an "homage" to the guild and its members. I'm planning to name countries and landmarks after the good folk on here :)
My idea is looking at the membership lists and seing the highest ranking post and rep wise and somehow combine that to reflect their place in the guild and thus their place on my map. Community leadership counts as well of course ;)
If anybody have a fun idea, feel free to come with input.

my thoughts are like this: Name: Arcana => Kingdom of Arcania
and so on... with duchies, baronies, cities and so on...
and as mentioned.. any ideas- just post here or mail me :)

So.. for now, basic shape is done. Took a long time to handdraw the contours. As the document is 12000 x 16000 pixels, its too big to upload here, but I made a smaller version of the whole map + cut out a piece of the big map to show the few details ready yet.

I hope you enjoy and participate :)

jtougas
05-27-2011, 09:46 AM
What a great idea. :) I think you have the "order" right of members vs important locations. I should be the 3rd tree towards the middle of the forest. :)

tilt
05-27-2011, 09:49 AM
*rofl*... actually according to my primary calculations (which I just did) you qualify for a County ;)

Master TMO
05-27-2011, 10:09 AM
I'd like to claim the shade tree right over there -->

It's got a good view.

Jaxilon
05-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Man, I think I'm just jealous that you can do a map 12000 by 16000 pixels in size....if I tried that my PC would cough once and laugh at me just before keeling over in a rock solid position. It's funny how I built this thing as a gaming rig but it wasn't until I started doing digital art on here that I realized just how lame most gaming rigs are. This stuff takes real power if you want to go big.

Excellent idea for a map. I think we had a thought along these lines for a challenge possibility but who knows if that will ever happen anyway. I'm excited to see this taking shape, keep up the good work.

Also, I totally know what you mean about work taking it out of you. I'm struggling myself and I'll likely be doing so until summer is over. When I do have energy after a long day I end up doing some more work on my commissions. Hope to get those done asap though so I can do some more maps here with you all.

tilt
05-27-2011, 10:28 AM
hehe... shade and a good view... not a bad choice ;)

so... first mountain test ... what'ya think?

size fits? style ok?

tilt
05-27-2011, 10:33 AM
yes... get those commisions out of the way jax, so you can have fun with us all :)
and thanks for the kind words - yes, I remember seing the challenge suggestion some months ago and thinking that great minds think alike *lol* ... wasn't ready to work on this then though :)

Sapiento
05-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Funny and fascinating idea!

tilt
05-27-2011, 11:28 AM
thanks Sapiento :)

LonewandererD
05-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Are we going to see the Ancient Fortress of the Riveria Polita? Or the Tower of Ascension? Or the Lonely Rock of Wanderering Hamsters!? Nice, an idea like this has been thrown around a fair bit now so it's nice to see something do it. You should definately use the guild's compass/icon as the compass for this one.

-D-

moutarde
05-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Fun idea Tilt! :) I like the mountains, though the different directions of the shading lines looks a little strange to me (but that might just be me).

tilt
05-27-2011, 11:46 AM
good idea with the compass.. .who made it? and could they please make a top view also? :)

I was planning to make most of you royalty and nobility - but if anybody rather wants a mountain range, forest, tower, volcano, ocean, lake, swamp, city, hamlet, ruin, crevice, meadow, ... named after you - just say so :)

LonewandererD
05-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Pretty sure it was arcana's compass, you could blow up a copy of his avatar and make a compass from that.

-D-

tilt
05-27-2011, 11:49 AM
thanks moutarde - I'll look into the directions... they are handdrawn so pretty much just "slapped" on there. The shadows are easy, as they run along the land (ie east) - but the shades of course depends on mountain height and shape... thanks for your input.
I personally think they look really good when you don't zoom in... however when zoomed in, they are a little rough.

moutarde
05-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Stupid full zoom :) The shading itself looks good, it was just at full zoom, seeing the mountains shaded with up/down strokes and their shadows with left/right strokes. If it looks good at the intended viewing size though, then don't worry about it ;D

tilt
05-27-2011, 12:04 PM
no you're right - cause the supposed viewing size is the full zoom size. I just experimented with "artsy" brush strokes instead of marking and filling an even color, to give it a little more dynamic feel :)

and note to Jax, - just got a 2 gig warning from photoshop :(

Clercon
05-27-2011, 12:38 PM
What about bribes? I must be able to pay to get a bigger country in my name ;-)
Great idea btw :-)

tilt
05-27-2011, 12:39 PM
bribes always works ;) ...thanks :)

Diamond
05-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Oh, this is a cool idea! I'm looking forward to seeing progress on this, not least of all because I want to see what kind of two-bit barony you give me... :D

Yandor
05-28-2011, 03:23 AM
It'll be interesting on how he pulls this off, there are some legends who aren't around anymore... kind of like a huge city gone to ruin... anyways it'll be fun to see!

SilenBlade
05-28-2011, 04:36 AM
Great idea ! Congratz! and whey you finish we will googleMap it :D

tilt
07-10-2011, 04:57 PM
mountain test ... so I think I'm pretty close to how the mountain will look - rather satisfied with this one except the shadows, gotta work a little more on those.

jbgibson
07-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Ooooh, tasty mountains.

Consider putting Gibsonsburg (or whatever appropriate political unit) between the Mea Culpa Fault and Mesa Up.

Surely RobA gets a river :-)....

RobA
07-10-2011, 07:04 PM
How big will the final map be??? Best of luck finishing a labour of "love" :)

-Rob A>

tilt
07-11-2011, 02:17 AM
@gibson - lol ;)
@robA 16000 x 12000 pixels .. which is rather slow going - I've allready had to flatten the background (saved in another document of course) to avoid Adobes 2 gig limit on files. and thanks I believe I have many month ahead of me as real life has a tendency to creep in and disturb my mapping ;)

Aenigma
07-11-2011, 08:10 AM
So... If I start spamming the forums with thousands of comments, Will I be crowned Emperor of Spamania?

tilt
07-11-2011, 10:56 AM
yep something like that ;)

tilt
07-11-2011, 03:18 PM
first mountain range sketched up - the easternmost mountains are done, the western shows the way it looks before shading :)

jfrazierjr
07-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Cool Tilt... I hate to say this now that you spent all of the time, but most of the mountains look like pyramids. Not that it's horrible or anything, but I figure if your hand drawing all of them, you might want a bit more variety in shape to make them stand apart from each other. One "good" one is in the middle of the horizontal run, there is a largish mountain that's got a nice big crack in the "light" side. It would help to have some "jaggies" or cracks on the perspective line forming the "front" of the mountain and likewise on the back right edge on occasion.

Aenigma
07-11-2011, 04:49 PM
This is going to be epic.

Aenigma
07-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Btw, will you name countries after all users, or at least all "active" users? Or will some be the namegiver to rivers/mountains/forests etc instead?

SkinnyKazoo
07-13-2011, 06:51 PM
As a permanent active lurker, and an occasional map poster, I think i speak for all lurkers in saying that there should a "Lurker Slums" in the capital lol....

...and I am their lord lol

tilt
07-14-2011, 02:08 AM
@jfrazierjr : I agree - but drawing all those mountains made me just work to reach the other side of the continent ;) ... I will change one here and there, and I am also going to break up the very straight line that most of them follow also an effect of getting to the edge fast *lol*
@aenigma : thank - and I think it will be a mix of countries, mountains and rivers etc.
@SkinnyKazoo : hehe ;)

bartmoss
07-14-2011, 03:02 AM
The guys on the ZBB did something like this a long time ago, I love the idea. Could you please name something after me, too? On the ZBB map it was the Bartmoss Tarpits. Maybe the Bart Moss Wetlands this time? ;-)

Ohh and YES The River Police needs a fortress, a titanic structure with attached waterworks and experimental river flow garden, kind of a River Police forensics lab.

Hai-Etlik
07-14-2011, 04:27 AM
Ohh and YES The River Police needs a fortress, a titanic structure with attached waterworks and experimental river flow garden, kind of a River Police forensics lab.

And the Geodesy Police need a small shack in the middle of nowhere, so we won't bother anyone with ramblings about projections and distortion.

jfrazierjr
07-14-2011, 07:22 AM
@jfrazierjr : I agree - but drawing all those mountains made me just work to reach the other side of the continent ;) ... I will change one here and there, and I am also going to break up the very straight line that most of them follow also an effect of getting to the edge fast *lol*.

I know EXACTLY what you mean.. My current contest entry, it took me 3-4 hours to ink, color, and high/low light a fairly small mountain range and a few hills, though I have to say that I LOVE how it has turned out for that few hour effort...

I can REALLY see the value of people wanted to use pre-made brushes, but hand drawn just looks sooooooo much better to me(plus it gives me a chance to improve on lacking skills). I guess I need to come up with some type of hybrid brush/handdrawn tweak approach<sigh>.... it's always a lack of time...

Anyway, keep going on this... I really like what you have going on and want to see more....

Aenigma
07-14-2011, 07:48 AM
There could be a place called 'N00bs Landing' (From Kings Landing in A Game Of Thrones) where all newcomers arrive xD

Jaxilon
07-14-2011, 09:52 AM
I can REALLY see the value of people wanted to use pre-made brushes, but hand drawn just looks sooooooo much better to me(plus it gives me a chance to improve on lacking skills). I guess I need to come up with some type of hybrid brush/handdrawn tweak approach<sigh>.... it's always a lack of time...

I have stayed away from pre-made brushes unless I made them myself because I want to continue to develop as an artist. Starting out I really struggled with matching up my scanned sketch with portions I created within Gimp. I think I am doing much better after a year and a half but what I find is that I pretty much always go back over whatever I create within Gimp, touching it up by hand. That seems to bridge the gap. More time? Sure. Worth it? I think so.

Nothing against using other folks brushes and I have seen some wonderful maps made with them. It does blow just a little bit to loose a challenge to someone using pre-made brushes though :) but sometimes they just look so good.

And this is looking great Tilt.

jfrazierjr
07-14-2011, 10:08 AM
I have stayed away from pre-made brushes unless I made them myself because I want to continue to develop as an artist. Starting out I really struggled with matching up my scanned sketch with portions I created within Gimp. I think I am doing much better after a year and a half but what I find is that I pretty much always go back over whatever I create within Gimp, touching it up by hand. That seems to bridge the gap. More time? Sure. Worth it? I think so. Yea... that's kind of what I meant... I would create my own set of brushes(mainly mountains) for a quick "drop" and then go back over the resulting mountains and spend an hour or two blending. That's one of the BIG things I think GIMP has over PS is it's ability to save brushes in Color(at least concerning functionality alone). For me, that one feature(not to mention the hundreds of dollars I don't have to spend on PS) makes GIMP perfect for me...

tilt
07-14-2011, 12:31 PM
@bartmoss : of course you'll be in there :)
@Hai-etik : rofl
@jf and jax : yep.. there are some pretty beautiful brushsets out there - but I would never feel it was my map then. The same goes for my battle maps - I make it all from the bottom - so much more satisfying.
@aenigma : heheh.. I like that :)

Radu Vlad
07-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Great, funny and community-bonding idea; loving it!
And just in line with it, it popped me that a dedicated city-mapper (or a group thereof) might start working on a Great City, The Jewel of Cartographia, where the same idea should apply - scaled down to an urban horizon, of course. We'd then have districts, channels, slums :D, and honorable mansions, fitting places for our dignitaires, starting with the Palace of Ascension, Diamond's Colosseum, Ravells Consevatory etc... :D and maybe ending with Beggar's Reach, a shady district where all of us the scrubs can claim a woodenbox to admire the town from under :))). Dont forget to implement The Great Harbor, where all the newbs might find shelter for a week or two (good luck coping with the smell of fish :)), until they establish some rep for themeselves, and move on to the boxes... :D (is the Admirality still run By SteelG? :D)
Ambitious and fun project, cheers.

Ascension
07-14-2011, 09:56 PM
I just get a solitary tower at the top of the world so that I can look down and make satellite maps of it. :) Or maybe a cloud that goes where I want it.

moutarde
07-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Or maybe a cloud that goes where I want it.

And little spiny creatures to throw down at unsuspecting plumbers? :)

eViLe_eAgLe
08-27-2011, 03:28 AM
May I ask the workflow of how you made the mountains?

tilt
08-27-2011, 05:31 AM
May I ask the workflow of how you made the mountains?

yep :)
I've first drawn the outer shape, then on a separate layer I added the dark shading to the mountain. I added yet another layer to white highlights. Then I added two layers below the first, one for the shadows the mountain casts (backside) - and one for a shaded ground under the mountains (frontside). I used some "dirty" brushes for most of the work, except the linework. :)

jfrazierjr
08-27-2011, 05:21 PM
get back to this gigantic map soon please...

tilt
08-28-2011, 03:30 AM
thanks :) I've been thinking about it these last days :) ... just got back from holidays and been swamped with work (damn real life encroaching on my mapping *lol*), but hope to get some time to map again now :)

tilt
10-03-2011, 11:30 AM
finally got some time to work on this :)
The old mountain range was to straight, so I 've made a new one instead :)

arsheesh
10-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Nice work on the mountain ranges. However, and perhaps this is just me, I think the blending job on the left-hand side of the mountain range isn't really necessary. The mountains already seem to blend into the terrain pretty well without it, and, as the blending job is darker than both the mountain color and the land color it seems out of place to me. Otherwise though I like it.

Cheers
-Arsheesh

tilt
10-03-2011, 02:10 PM
thanks for the comment arsheesh - I thought they looked a little bare without the "ground", but perhaps I should lighten it a little. Still need to make the other major mountain range too - another days work there... my hand was getting pretty tired at the end of this one :)