PDA

View Full Version : New style try-out

Djekspek
05-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Been messing around a bit with brushes to come up with some new style. The landshape and compass were inspired by Terry Marandas Daedonas map and the cartouche by tolkiens map. All textures are handpainted (except for the background parchment). The waves/woodwork need some work and I think the compass does not really fit in (yet). Also figuring out how to label this properly. Anyway, not sure if I will finish this, but I think it got potential as a style, so who knows I'll do one "for real" like this. cheers, DJ

Steel General
05-28-2011, 09:17 AM
I like what I see so far.

Tyo Solo
05-28-2011, 10:10 AM
That looks really good. I especially like your mountain regions and map texture.

Tyo

craggles
05-28-2011, 11:02 AM
WOW!!!! :o That is amazing!!!!

I was going to leave it at that but as it's a new style you're trying out, I went and checked your current/old style...

WOW!!!! :o That's even MORE amazing!!!!

I can see why, as brilliant as it is, you consider this one to be an unfinished piece. :D

eViLe_eAgLe
05-28-2011, 02:10 PM
I think you should drop the fill and maybe opacity on the coastlines.

Ascension
05-28-2011, 02:10 PM
If you could do those mountains hatched instead of shaded you'd have something like those old 19th century bird's eye view maps. I think those are outstanding and you're on the verge of it. Well done, man.

Djekspek
05-28-2011, 08:16 PM
thanks guys, indeed the coasts may need some work although I like the sketchy look of them (apart from the wood-work-waves). I tried some extra line-work on the mountains before to fit them in, but it didn't work. But hatching the shadows may be exactly what is needed (Thanks A, you really have a keen eye on this). I never hatched before so I did some first try. It's a pretty nasty technique to learn. I think it could take years to really understand what you're doing. Anyway, my first hatch :) cheers, DJ

Ascension
05-29-2011, 03:48 AM
You're totally right about learning hatching, I've been trying since I was about 10. Your basic lines work well at this scale to sort of imply hatching, though, so...good job.

tilt
05-29-2011, 09:27 AM
looks really good djespek, nice style indeed and as Ascension said reminds me of the 19th century maps... keep up the good work :)

arsheesh
05-29-2011, 12:31 PM
It my not be fully developed yet DJ, but it's a lovely style!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Ramah
05-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Looking beautiful man. I think I prefer the first image but maybe that is because you haven't got the hatching quite right yet.

Djekspek
06-10-2011, 05:16 AM
some more practice on hatching in 3d and top-down views. For the topdown view I created a brush to speed things up a little but needless to say it's a lot of work to make things like this. But... I'm learning ;)

ravells
06-10-2011, 06:08 AM
Oh my word, those mountains look amazing. Especially with the hatching. I'm not sure if the mountain style goes with the woodcut coast style though. I don't know why (and am probably imagining it), but from memory, usually when you see a wood cut coast the mountains are either hairy caterpillars or symbols but not shaded. It might have something to do with the tech advancement and materials that were available at the time.

Absolutely stunning, DJ!

Steel General
06-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Great stuff there Djekspek, wish I had the time and ambition to do something. :(

Djekspek
06-10-2011, 11:49 AM
thanks, aye I need to find out how to do coastlines. But I recon first see if I can get the hang of the hatch-shading of mountains/hills and then bit by bit move to other types like forest, coastlines, etc. This will be a long learning process but I just started practise and will see where/when it ends (if I can keep the interest, and the creative juices flowing). And SG, I also have times that I just cant get anything done. I usually force myself into doing the challenge as I know then once my mind is brewing on something, ideas tend to pop up (but I have an odd brain). cheers, DJ

Ascension
06-10-2011, 05:36 PM
No way in hell anyone is getting me to do all that much hatching. Dude, you're crazy.

LonewandererD
06-11-2011, 12:30 PM
He's crazy and my jaw is somewhere on the ground. Bravo you crazy man! :)

-D-