PDA

View Full Version : Taur Cordof WIP

Coyotemax
05-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Ok that's it. I've had enough! I gotta do it, the bug has bit me again!!

I may not end up being as prolific as i used to be since my fulltime job is in full swing, we're researching and saving up for Restaurant startup, and I'm applying for a new position at work - same job but work-from-home which would save scads of travel time and means I can lay on my back while I work from a laptop...(back is still painful but now bearable to sit up and walk thanks to creative application of meds) (and that probably explains my rambling and overuse of parentheses lol)

Anyhow enough pre-amble. I really liked the idea behind this map when I started it for the Big Apple gallery show. I just HAVE to complete it. Might take some time, since I'll only be working a few hours per day (as opposed to the 8 or 12 I used to be able to put in). Plus I'm a bit out of practice but this should be a great exercise to get me back in to hand drawing since I plan on 100% hand drawing, no brushes. Anyhow, the tablet is dusty, and I've really been feeling guilty about that - I positively love the thing and now it's sitting at the back of the desk all neglected..

So here's where I left off...
things to do include:
Translating labels to Elvish (elven?)
Redrawing forests and mountains by hand
add roads
add scale and flourishes
dunno if the style needs a border, maybe a simple one.

I'm thinking I should do the translations first, so I can draw the map features around the words.. If I ever do one of these by hand on actual paper, I suspect I'll need to do it in that order.

arsheesh
05-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Wow Coyotemax, great to see you back! I was wondering whatever became of you. Hope things work out for you in terms of working from home. Wow, this looks to be a meaty undertaking, but I am looking forward to seeing it unfold.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Steel General
06-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Glad to see you back... I miss the octoclops :)

Ramah
06-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Great to see you back at last, CM. And glad to see you finishing this off too. :)

Jaxilon
06-01-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm happy that you are feeling some better with your back and all. I'm also psyched that you are back.

And don't worry if you aren't as prolific as you used to be, I'm in the same boat until around October...stinking work, it's always cutting into my free time. :)

torstan
06-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Great to see you back - and I'm really pleased to see this map getting dusted off! Glad to hear the back's settled down a little too.

Aenigma
06-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Interesting and beautifully made. my thumbs go up as if they were strapped to a Saturn V rocket!

Coyotemax
06-05-2011, 01:56 AM
Yes I'm still working in it! haven't gotten distracted yet.. (well I have, but not completely). No visible updates at this time, but I am making progress in my excel spreadsheet.

First step was to make a list of all the current names for the real world locations I'm adding. Then I added a column for Feature type so i can filter location types and be consistent with the naming (Lake whaterver, River whatever, etc). English translation column, since a LOT of the names are based on Native American names and such, so I'm translating them into english first. finally, an Elvish translation column, at which point I'll start placing the names on the map.

Sometimes I think I'm overthinking this process, the rest of the time my "attention to detail" self is pleased with my approach :)

Ramah
06-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Yes I'm still working in it! haven't gotten distracted yet.. (well I have, but not completely). No visible updates at this time, but I am making progress in my excel spreadsheet.

First step was to make a list of all the current names for the real world locations I'm adding. Then I added a column for Feature type so i can filter location types and be consistent with the naming (Lake whaterver, River whatever, etc). English translation column, since a LOT of the names are based on Native American names and such, so I'm translating them into english first. finally, an Elvish translation column, at which point I'll start placing the names on the map.

Sometimes I think I'm overthinking this process, the rest of the time my "attention to detail" self is pleased with my approach :)

Wow.. far too much hassle. Gobbledigook rules the day as far as I'm concerned. :)

moutarde
06-05-2011, 01:11 PM

Perfectionism can really suck sometimes, but it's well worth it in the end :)

Coyotemax
06-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Wow.. far too much hassle. Gobbledigook rules the day as far as I'm concerned. :)

I may have to resort to that.

For example: I'm trying to translate Albany, which is a city in NY state. So far, the best translation to the original meaning goes along the lines of "Meaning of "Albany"
In Scottish, the name Albany means- Derived from a former name for northern Scotland.. Other origins for the name Albany include - Scottish, Latin-American, English."

Ok, great, BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN!!!!

moutarde
06-06-2011, 07:04 PM
'Scotland' was employed alongside Albania or Albany, from the Gaelic Alba.

From wikipedia's entry for Alba:

The term first appears in classical texts as Ἀλβίων or Ἀλουΐων (in Ptolemy's writings), later as Albion in Latin documents. Historically, the term refers to Britain as a whole and is ultimately based on the Indo-European root for "white".[1] It later came to be used by Gaelic speakers in the form of Alba (dative Albainn, genitive Albann, now obsolete) as the name given to the former kingdom of the Picts which had by the time of its first usage with this meaning, expanded around the time of king CausantÝn mac ┴eda (Constantine II, 943-952). The region Breadalbane (BrÓghad Albainn, the upper part of "Alba") takes its name from it as well.

Coyotemax
06-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I got that eventually for that specific example, I'm starting to build up a list of reliable sources. But in general, it can be very frustrating for some of the more obscure ones. Especially when it's an obscure family name that founded the town :)

moutarde
06-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I know exactly how you feel. Toponomy can be really, really, frustrating. I've been doing essentially the same thing with my antique wip, and most of earth's country names have pretty simple toponomy, but there's still quite a few where I just had to throw in the towel and say screw it, this one's getting made up.

Coyotemax
06-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Right there with you. The REAL fun part is yet to come, I've made a few forays into the "translate into elvish" already, and I have to say, Legolas would probably have a stroke if he read off some of the place names.
:P

the other thing impacting right now is that we just bought a sectional sofa.. and it's coming in a few days, so it's taking me awhile to get the house ready for it - and the wife has ALL SORTS OF IDEAS on other things we need to move around. By the time I'm done working on the house, I have no energy left for the map... probably would have worked better if I'd waited a week or two before picking this project up again. Still, half an hour or so progress per day is better than no progress.