PDA

View Full Version : EastHaven Port - WIP

wynn
05-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Here's a map I started a couple days ago. It's for my world building project that's been a personal project for years and am using for my pathfinder game. Let me know what you think!36199

jtougas
05-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Wow what a great start. :)

Larb
05-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Looks great so far! All those buildings are going to be a lot of work, eh? =P

arsheesh
05-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Oh this looks very promising! What software are you using for the map?

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Clercon
05-31-2011, 05:11 PM
A great start. Good to see that someone else also likes to test his sanity with a larger than life city map :)

wynn
05-31-2011, 06:42 PM
jtougas: Thanks!
Larb: haha yeah.. not looking forward to that part. Hopefully I won't lose interest while I'm placing those down.
arsheesh: Thanks! I'm using photoshop cs5
Clercon: Heh.. I'm sure it might be a close call when I'm in the midst of drawing the buildings.

Larb
05-31-2011, 08:07 PM
I find on huge city maps, if you do a big section at a time, then zoom out and look at it, it makes you think "yes, that's more like it!" and it keeps you going because you can't wait to finish. But that's just me! Stuff like this and others like Clercon's map is a huge amount of work though and the effort always shows so I look forward to the end result!

wynn
06-01-2011, 02:17 AM
Hey thanks Larb, yeah that's actually good advice. I think keeping the big picture in mind helps us get through these big projects. Zooming back every once and a while I can actually start seeing things come together, i see that with my other art

Here's and update!

Steel General
06-01-2011, 07:20 AM
This is coming along quite nicely...

Gluhoded
06-01-2011, 09:17 AM
I love the style! it's beautiful.

As a complete beginner, I'd be much grateful if you could share some tips on your style. For instance - how did you make the fields & vegetation surrounding them? they look so natural...

wynn
06-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Steel General: Thanks!
Gluhoded: I used a lot of references for the veg. and the fields. I stared at quite a few maps, to see how the tree lines were placed in between fields. And basically, I created a "tree" brush that put down scattered color, then used a pattern to fill in the so it gave it the tree texture. For the fields, I basically color sampled satellite images of farms from google maps, used different brushes to add some variation to the colors, then applied a couple distortion filters on it to give it a painted type look. Most of the techniques I'm using on this map have been done through trial and error while making the map itself... but when I'm done I'd be happy to make a tutorial for you guys if you'd like, to show how I did a few things..

Should have an update either tonight or tomorrow!

RjBeals
06-02-2011, 10:31 PM
amazing. How do you get such smooth borders without using vector lines? Unless you're using the pen tool in PS? The fields are beautiful - I'm also working on a large scale port city, and this gives me some much needed inspiration. Looking forward to the updates!

Jaxilon
06-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Hey, this is looking great! I look forward to seeing your updates. I feel almost inspired to attempt a city myself, hehe.

wynn
06-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Small update here, just plotting out some of the roads and I replaced the green in the city area.

RjBeals, Thanks I appreciate it! Well, for the walls I used a pen tool, and then applied a stroke to it. And then for the roads and other things it's just a very steady hand and my Wacom tablet :) I also erase and redraw a lot lol. I'm drawing the buildings using the line tool but with a thickness around 4-10.

Jaxilon, Thanks! You should, I think theyre a lot of fun.

landorl
06-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Wow! This is a gorgeous map! I am looking forward to seeing more of this!

Schattenherz
07-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Absolutely stunning! I love the fields and the texture of the water. And all the rest. :D
Inspiring and depressing at the same time ;) I'm looking forward to the final work!

Conaruba
07-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Such an amazing piece of art! Your attention to detail and the thought that you must have put in to this makes this map just mind blowingly cool!
Sorry I'm kindof geeking out about it :)

Really, really fine work. I look forward to seeing it grow over time!

mwsasser
08-04-2011, 11:49 AM
I am feeling the envy, it really looks nice.

ravells
08-04-2011, 11:59 AM
This map just rocks! The fields are stunning. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Midgardsormr
08-04-2011, 12:43 PM
I think it's fascinating that you painted the wakes created by the bridge supports before the bridges themselves. I was trying to figure out if those were supposed to be rapids or waterfalls, and then I noticed that they coincided with the road network.

Piscivorous
08-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I really, really, like this map. I do have one niggling criticism.

As a tactician, the woods along the defensive walls would have to come down. My archers need a clear line of fire and I can't hit the enemy though the trees as they invest the walls.

wynn
10-12-2011, 03:36 AM
Hey folks, long time no post! Work kind of got crazy for a bit so I lagged behind on finishing this. Now I'm finally set to wrap this up I think, shouldn't take too much longer now. I appreciate all the comments!

Piscivorous, I see what you mean about the trees... makes sense really. I think I'll probably cut those back a bit.

Here's another update, just working on the buildings now. They're sort of driving me crazy since there are so many, but I think it will be worth it when its done!

feanaaro
10-12-2011, 06:51 AM
If I may ask, how do you manage to get your buildings so (relatively) "crisp" using photoshop? Mine tend to degenerate into shapeless blob because of anti-aliasing (I guess). Perhaps you just wotk with a very high resolution?

wynn
10-12-2011, 05:00 PM
The resolution of the jpg you see, is the same that I use in Photoshop, I haven't made it any smaller. I actually use the line tool for all my buildings. Usually with a weight of 3-6 px. I just kind of shape my buildings around with that, and then apply a layer effect to get the drop shadow and stuff. Before I save out as a jpg I apply a smart sharpen filter to make it extra crisp.

Here's a screen shot of my layer effect settings.

wynn
10-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Playing around with the street details, dirt, trees and nailing down a style.

Blaidd Drwg
10-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Looking good! Especially the general layout of the place. :)
I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

Umberfane
11-29-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm not what you would call a cartographer but this appears to me to be a truly staggering project but looks absolutely magnificient!!!!!

KJSEvans
01-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Definitely nicely done.

wynn
01-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks everyone! I should have an update later next week. Work and moving got in the way of the project, but I'll be able to jump back on this next week.

ravells
01-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Kewl! I was hoping you'd come back to it!

Lukc
01-15-2012, 04:13 AM
Yes, I want to see someone else sharing the pain of mapping loads of tiny little houses in digital software! :)

Elzevir
01-23-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm just amazed by the quality of your work. Even the fields around the city appear so natural... I will look forward too.

AMXPariah
01-26-2012, 12:39 AM
I'm a sucker for trees and fields. I like the way you did yours. I'm guessing there's a tut for them?

Arkaalis
01-30-2012, 04:30 AM
My jealousy is eternal.

dangerdog15
01-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Great work wynn. The complexity of the map had me looking at it for a while. I love the final touches on the buildings.

wynn
01-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Hey thanks everyone! I should have a large update this weekend on this map, might even have most of the buildings drawn in by then.

AMXPariah, no tutorial as of yet. It's a style I developed after hours and hours of laboring :) It's fairly easy once you know what to do. When I'm done with the map ill make one up and post it on the site. The trees help sell it as well, I have a few specific custom textures and brushes I'll share.