PDA

View Full Version : Islayander - WIP:Refining a technique

Jaxilon
05-31-2011, 09:08 PM
Been working on commissions when I have had the time/energy but I just had to go through the steps I have been using for a style I am working on so I didn't forget them and here is the result.

Still tweaking but I hope eventually this technique will come out the way I want.

The one area I'm looking at most critically is the coastlines. Not so much the undersea area but the actual edge of the land. So I guess I need some feedback at this point.

The idea here is along the size of Madagascar, maybe a bit smaller.

eViLe_eAgLe
05-31-2011, 10:31 PM
That mountain is beautiful :]

Jaxilon
05-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks, maybe I should think about creating the entire island as the mountain and then just highlighting the area I want for the peak...hmmm. I may try that next time.

MSZ
06-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Nice work,

I also like the mountain. The rest looks a bit flat untill now. Maybe you add some bump to the coastline.
For my taste the difference between light and dark is a bit to much on this map, particulary at the sea and the mountain.

arsheesh
06-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Hey that's looking terrific Jax! Haven't seen much of your recent work, so it's nice to get a peak at what you're up to.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Ramah
06-02-2011, 07:38 AM
I'll go against the other and say I like the mountain least on it. It's a very stylistic style you've got there with the oceans and the forests etc. but that mountain is totally at odds with it, being all shiny and visibly patterned. Personally I would prefer to see something as bold as your other elements.

Jaxilon
06-02-2011, 12:01 PM
I started working on more texture for the rest of the piece and after Ramah made his point (which I'm thinking is right) I also toned down the mountain so as to better go with the rest.

Here are both results. I'm going to work and I'll look at them later to try and figure which direction I like best.

arsheesh
06-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Hm, I respect Ramah's opinion, but for what it's worth, I still prefer the earlier version.

Ascension
06-02-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm indifferent to the mountain, my thing is the forests. I like the first one. The new ones look like they don't fit somehow. Maybe it's the dark stroke around them that resembles a hand-drawn element or maybe it's a scale thing in that they look too big compared to the mountain. I dunno, just looks odd. If you like it then disregard. :)

Jaxilon
06-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Added some labalage so it feels more finished :)

jtougas
06-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Pretty awesome Jax. I like the whole thing but the coastlines are a bit "odd" Maybe the colors are too bright?

Jaxilon
06-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Pretty awesome Jax. I like the whole thing but the coastlines are a bit "odd" Maybe the colors are too bright?

Are you talking about the undersea area or the actual land's edge?

Jaxilon
06-09-2011, 11:57 AM
A modification to the undersea layers as well as some touch ups for waterfalls which I thought were a cool touch. I'm going to use that again in the future I think.

jtougas
06-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Wow. That looks amazing. I love your "soft" style. The undersea bits looks much better now and the waterfalls are very nice too. Great job. Have some rep. :)

Rittmeister_Krefeld
06-11-2011, 12:59 PM
I love the style, and textures.
I am a bit confused about the scale though.... You said it's the same size as Madagaskar, so about 975 mi (1,570 km) long and 355 mi (570 km) wide (which is the size of Madagaskar!). Your island looks alot smaller... maybe 10 km, with 1 dominating mountain in the centre. Theoretically it should be a mountain range, like the alps or Himalayas...