PDA

View Full Version : May/June 2011 Lite Challenge Entry: A Planisphere of Her Majesty's Martian Colony

Hai-Etlik
06-02-2011, 09:34 PM
OK, we'll see where this goes. It's going to be a dual hemisphere stereographic map of Mars as colonized by the British Empire under Queen Victoria.

So far I've begun tracing over some Equidistant Cylindrical martian texture maps in QuantumGIS. Given the nature of the map as a bit of pseudovictorian fantasy, I'm not going to be to persnickety about getting canals flowing along the DEM correctly or putting the right terrain in the right places. I'll just use our modern knowledge of areography as a rough template.

### Latest WIP ###

In case you were wondering what I mean by "dual hemisphere stereographic map" I mean something like this:

tilt
06-03-2011, 06:08 AM
good to see you enter the challenge ... looking forward to seing it progress :)

Hai-Etlik
06-08-2011, 02:32 AM
OK, here it is re-projected to stereographic, converted to SVG, and fitted in to my template. I really need to work out a better way to do this as it took far more work than it should have.

That's all of the complex technical stuff out of the way, and now it's just a matter of making it pretty.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
06-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Whaddaya mean, make it pretty? Looks good to me. :) Heh heh.

Hai-Etlik
06-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Some Progress

### Latest WIP ###

Hai-Etlik
06-09-2011, 02:30 AM
More progress

### Latest WIP ###

Hai-Etlik
06-09-2011, 11:08 PM
More progress, I'm rendering it at a higher resolution to make the fine details a bit more visible.

### Latest WIP ###

Hai-Etlik
06-13-2011, 03:39 AM
Some more updates and a bit of texture, though I think it may be a bit too much.

Still need to do symbolize Argyre Planitia and the mountains, and I need to add some more craters, but otherwise it's pretty much done.

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
06-13-2011, 03:46 AM
I think this entry may well have one of my votes. Lovely work, Hai.

Hai-Etlik
06-13-2011, 07:23 AM
I think this entry may well have one of my votes. Lovely work, Hai.

Thanks, I really wasn't sure about this one when I started on it but it's turned out better than I'd hoped.

And here's another update:

I've added some more craters to the southern highlands, finished off the reservoirs that the canals are feeding, and hachured the mountains (Elysium Mons in particular was a pain)

I've added a faint colour wash since it wouldn't be much of a map of Mars if it weren't red. It also helps highlight the reservoirs and ice caps.

### Latest WIP ###

I'd be happy with this going into the contest but I may make a few more changes.

ravells
06-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Have to say, I liked it without the colour wash. Maybe make the graticule red?

Hai-Etlik
06-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Have to say, I liked it without the colour wash. Maybe make the graticule red?

Yeah, There was something about it bothering me too, but at the same time I felt the map needed something. I'd like to keep all the 'ink' the same colour but looking at some real Victorian maps has given me an idea:

### Latest WIP ###

I get the red, the highlighting of the ice caps and reservoirs, it's not so overwhelming, and I think it helps give a bit of depth.

ravells
06-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Looks way better!!

Hai-Etlik
06-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Added lines for the tropics and polar regions, changed the title font to something that works a bit better at such a large size, and made a few other minor tweaks.

### Latest WIP ###

Hai-Etlik
06-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Another idea though I'm not sure if I'll keep it, two more insets displaying Mars's orbit along with that of the other terrestrial planets, and the orbits of Mars's two moons.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
06-14-2011, 01:35 AM
I think this is the best map entry. The only thing I think that might hurt is it doesn't strike me as "scanner-ish". It looks fantastic though.

Hai-Etlik
06-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Those blank bottom corners were bothering me so I've tossed in some more insets. Scale references for the inner planets, and the moons.

### Latest WIP ###

Hai-Etlik
06-15-2011, 12:44 AM
As it seems to be the thing to do this time around, I'll add a bit of description about the context for the map:

The basic idea is to incorporate some roughly Victorian ideas that have since been discredited, canals on Mars, and the Luminipherous Ęther. The canals are actually constructed by the colonists, rather than Martians but I could hardly have a Victorian Mars without canals. The Luminipherous Ęther is a discredited theory of electromagnetism that has since been replaced by Quantum Mechanics and Special Relativity, it posited an 'intangible stupendously rigid substance' which acted as a medium for electromagnetic radiation (like light) the same way normal matter carries sound waves, ocean waves, etc. If it existed and we could 'push' on it, it would make for an effectively reactionless space drive which is how my Victorians managed to reach Mars.

If you look closely, a few of the cities are named after Queen Victoria and her family, a few after the local geography (Aereography technically) and most are jokingly named after people, many of whom were born significantly after the Victorian period. I leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure them out.

Some clues though: two of the cities are named after the same person, one of the cities has a double meaning, another has a different double meaning, and one has a triple meaning, though two of those meanings are the same person.

bartmoss
06-15-2011, 05:08 AM
Love this... but then I am a weird-Mars-freak. No canals though? ;-)

Hai-Etlik
06-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Love this... but then I am a weird-Mars-freak. No canals though? ;-)

The river looking things are the canals channelling the meagre supply of water to the reservoirs.

Hai-Etlik
06-15-2011, 07:01 PM
The canals now have names

### Latest WIP ###

Thanks to bartmoss for reminding me that it's not entirely obvious that they are canals otherwise.