PDA

View Full Version : FTPro - Custom Rainfall/Temperature scales

Master TMO
06-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Asking here and the ProFantasy forums, and will post any answer I get on one to the other.

I am wanting to export a grayscale image of the rainfall and temperature models from my FTPro world. For Altitude, it's easy to create a custom color scale using a text editor, but apparently the scales for Rain and Temp are a binary file. You can build a custom scale through the GUI, but it is *extremely* difficult to do if you have many colors, and I'm wanting to do a full 256 color scale.

Does anyone know a way I can create a custom *.bcl file from an external source for this?

Thanks

waldronate
06-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I would recommend using the built-in tools in FT. On the rainfall tab of Lighting and Color, set # colors to 256. Then click the Lowest box and select black. Then, while holding down the Shift key, click on the Highest Value and (still holding down the Shift key) click white. The color list should be a full grayscale value.

This technique works for any two colors, because Shift triggers use of full RGB colors rather than the more limited Campaign Cartographer palette when picking and interpolating colors. Doing the above steps without holding down Shift will get you a 16-color step; holding down Shift gets the full 256-color ramp.

Master TMO
06-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Worked great! Thanks!

ravells
06-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Wow, I never knew about that shift-click trick! Thanks Joe!!!

Ramah
06-04-2011, 08:32 AM
<Thread hijack>

Waldronate, I'd just like to offer my thanks for your support of this community. I know rep is only another form of epeen and it's not why you do it but the fact that your rep is so low shows that it is basically a flawed system. The fact is that you and your Wilbur program (and the others you program and maintain through ProFantasy etc.) deserve far more rep than someone who just churns out a map a week, often with little thought put into it and often using the tools you've created (and I would include myself in that list btw).
Unfortunately your presence on this board is less visible than a new map, despite the fact that you always seem to be around to answer any problems people have with your programs in a matter of hours. Like with most things though the person in the background doesn't receive the recognition they deserve.

So again, thanks for the support, man... also... why no contributor badge?

</Thread hijack>

Steel General
06-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Well said Ramah, we should probably rectify that.

Ascension
06-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Well said, and seconded...thirded.

jtougas
06-04-2011, 02:49 PM
<Thread hijack>

Waldronate, I'd just like to offer my thanks for your support of this community. I know rep is only another form of epeen and it's not why you do it but the fact that your rep is so low shows that it is basically a flawed system. The fact is that you and your Wilbur program (and the others you program and maintain through ProFantasy etc.) deserve far more rep than someone who just churns out a map a week, often with little thought put into it and often using the tools you've created (and I would include myself in that list btw).
Unfortunately your presence on this board is less visible than a new map, despite the fact that you always seem to be around to answer any problems people have with your programs in a matter of hours. Like with most things though the person in the background doesn't receive the recognition they deserve.

So again, thanks for the support, man... also... why no contributor badge?

</Thread hijack>

Absolutely ! I feel guilty that I've never bothered to acknowledge how great a contribution your stuff has been to me and my mapping. I use Wilbur all the time. Thanks SO much :)

Diamond
06-04-2011, 03:00 PM
... also... why no contributor badge?

Another vote from me. I don't currently have Wilbur, but it's on my 'to get and master' list, and I'm sure I'll be picking his brains about it before too long. It just can't be beat for creating realistic landforms.

ravells
06-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Absolutely Ramah....could not agree more. Contributor's badge awarded!

Thanks Joe, and sorry for being so blind to all of the help you've given to people here for so long.

Greason Wolfe
06-04-2011, 06:44 PM
I couldn't agree more with what's been said. I don't have much rep to throw around, but I'll throw what I have in Joe's direction. He's helped me more times than I can remember over the last two years.

GW

arsheesh
06-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Yup. I'm with Greason Wolf and everyone else on this one Joe. I repped you a while back in your Wilbur tutorial threads, but I'm afraid that my rep is pretty piddly. So I guess I'll just add my voice to the chorus of gratitude for all that you do for this community.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

waldronate
06-05-2011, 02:53 AM
I appreciate all the support, but this is primarily an art community and my art output has been fairly paltry. Rep here is approximately proportional to participation, both in terms of number of postings and art items posted.

I see that I now have a shiny new badge and it'll be displayed there proudly with the rest.

Master TMO
06-05-2011, 02:57 AM
My name is Master TMO, and I heartily approve of this thread hijack.