PDA

View Full Version : EL-Hazard reborn

alucard339
02-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi again,
It's been 1 1/2 month since I receive cc3 and FT and start working on this version of my world. I finaly finish the new version of my world map today.

Below you will find the original cc2 version and my first try with PS (that was at best, not really good).

alucard339
02-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Now here's the new verison in full.

terrainmonkey
02-16-2008, 04:26 PM
really....

ok, you win. if this doesn't make it into the featured maps thread, you will be robbed. excellent work, my freind, truly an excellent piece of work. words beyond that fail me.

alucard339
02-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Now part 1/4 of a zoom on the map itself.

alucard339
02-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Now here's the other 3 parts.
By the way, I u see any spelling error or upgrade for the map just tell me, cause next week I will print it and laminate it.

Thanks, Alu.

NeonKnight
02-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Fan-tas-tic!

pyrandon
02-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Wow--the level of detail (and the sheer size!!) of your map is in and of itself an accomplishment. Wonderful--so much to read and enjoy here. I'm afraid to even ask how long this took. I am especially fond of your coastlines: very realistic, rich, and interesting.

Alucard, you have topped yourself. Well done!

alucard339
02-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks all.

Last week-end, my wife made me realize that the real size of the map is 400 cm by 250 cm and not 40 by 25 has I first thought. Also the final png version is 70 mo.

The longest part of this map making process was the search for the good pic: I've got more than 10,000 pic of D&D related stuff, so ...

Also I pass more than 25 hours on PS trying (and learning) to get the good effect for the river, the forest, and so on.

- The first part was the making of the relief FT (+PS for the touch up) : it took about 10 hours (2 for FT and 8 hours to get the good coloring of each country).
- Then I started the recreation of each country in cc3. It was quite fast since I already got the original map in cc2 : it took about 2 hours to fit the old symbol and then replace them with the new ones.
- Then I lost 1 week in brain storming and testing to figure the good way to put the map in the final version.
- After I found my idea, it took about 2 hours for the making of the scroll plus the used effect on it.
- Then came the finishing touch with all the pic around the map to help peoples figure out the style of each country (about 10-15 hours of search and 1 hour of styling).

So in all, about 1 1/2 month of time, but now I'm quite sure I can do it again in less than 1 week since all the testing is done and learned.

Hope u like it &
Sea u hall A-Round,
Alu.

delgondahntelius
02-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Ya, its beautiful. In my professional amateur opinion, that map is art. I would have thought it taken longer... but then I'm basing it off how long I think it would take me... but excellent work :) its something I can aspire too...

Del

Gamerprinter
02-17-2008, 03:32 AM
Nice seeing the Clans of Rokugan, not in Rokugan. I've been looking at an Oriental Adventures campaign. I've got L5R as well, but I've always hated Rokugan itself, geographically speaking.

Rokugan is an non-peninsular Korea, or Eastern China, whereas, IMO, it should be an island like Japan. Japanese culture is defined by its island nature and having a continental bound Rokugan seems very unJapanese like.

I'm working on a similar island of the Clans setting, but I wanted to have more content in my Ukiyo-E style to create the maps using those objects, we'll see.

But I'm very glad to see someone else working on the clans sans Rokugan! :D

alucard339
02-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Nice seeing the Clans of Rokugan, not in Rokugan. I've been looking at an Oriental Adventures campaign. I've got L5R as well, but I've always hated Rokugan itself, geographically speaking.

Me also, I find the setting too much like a stew: throw everything in it and it should still taste good.

I also decide that since nothing else in my world had a oriental like felling, I will put them into an island. And because of the culture style, I've decide to create only a small Island, much like the real Japan thing: too many people for the space, so killing is a legal way keep the population under control.

The creation of EL-Hazard:

El-Hazard begun in the mid 90 as a Birthright project, then the true version of El-Hazard came into being in 2001, when Margaret and Tracy left Dragonlance to create Sovereign Stone. Then around 2004 then drop SS to go back to Dragonlance letting us with only the draft of their new world, I've had to find something to finish it. So I decide to look into my personal stuff ,that comprise of about 90% of everything done by TSR up to 2000, and came up with the following setting for each country:

- Vinnengael: palladium rift, the medieval Timoro kingdom, populate with humans and dwarfs.
- Tromek: L5R (oriental) with only a human population.
- Tir Na Nog: Slain d20 (celtic) with humans and orcs.
- Po'Gah: South ergoth from dragonlance 5th age, with only humans on it.
- Nimra: Azcan (aztec) from D&D Mystara hollow world with gnolls and lizardman.
- Midgard: nothing in particular (I still have to find an Ice setting) compose of only a human population.
- Grak: D&D Mystara the Genghis Khan expansion.
- Dunkarga: Darksun + Ravenloft, the Har'Akir domain, with only the humans in it.

Take care,
Alu.

alucard339
03-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Iíve just made another version of my world map, because the last one didn't look so good once printed.

The changes: I decided to drop the blue ocean; change from RGB to cmyk & I stretch out the map itself.
P.S.: Take note that the river should be dark blue, cause I forgot to turn off the lighten river layer.

I think it look better that way.

My problem now is about the texts of each country I'm not sure about the color or the style. I want to find an easy way to identify the different country and more so around the border line (which town goes with which country). Also, I'm not sure I want to put real borderline.

I would really welcome comments and ideas on this, since my players are waiting for their map.

Thanks,
Alu.

pyrandon
03-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey, Alu: when I try to open your attachments, I get a message indicating they contain errors. Am I all alone on that?

alucard339
03-02-2008, 02:37 PM
For some reason, a cmyk pic doesn't work, so I put back the RGB version.
I hope this one will be big enough to see the details.

RobA
03-02-2008, 02:38 PM
It has something to do with his software. It doesn't seem to follow the png standard correctly. If you save it to disk you should be able to view it, but firefox dislikes it.

-Rob A>

Carnifex
03-06-2008, 05:47 PM
I’ve just made another version of my world map, because the last one didn't look so good once printed.

The changes: I decided to drop the blue ocean; change from RGB to cmyk & I stretch out the map itself.

You cannot print RGB. Always convert to CMYK (certain printers DOES a good job printing from RGB due to more colors used when printing).

If the maps are to be printed you should either work in cmyk all the way or keep the colors "cmyk-safe". In PS you can easily see this as a warning triangle shows up on the color palette. You can also see this in the info palette. See images below.

(But as RGB have a better gamut you could keep the RGB if you are to use the maps on screen and on the internet.)

alucard339
03-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the info,

But I still need to find a better way to define each of my country, without having to resort to line drawing.

Alu.

Carnifex
03-06-2008, 06:07 PM
And here's some examples of converting RGB to cmyk. I've tried to quick fix the last one a bit by lowering the saturation (didn't went too well actually but you get the point).

1st pic: original rgb, 2nd pic: converted to cmyk, 3rd pic: adjusted and then converted to cmyk.

(I've converted the "cmyk" images back to rgb here but they look the same in CMYK.)

Carnifex
03-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the info,

But I still need to find a better way to define each of my country, without having to resort to line drawing.

Alu.

What's wrong with drawing a red line for national borders? You could also make a special "political" map and coloring the countries with different colors.

alucard339
03-06-2008, 06:37 PM
What's wrong with drawing a red line for national borders? You could also make a special "political" map and coloring the countries with different colors.

I wanted to find another way to indicate political border else than red line.

I already have a political colored map, but the one below is for my game room: something in the size of 4' by 3' and laminated, so I must make sure I don't put it wrong...

I want to get easy readable texts and national border.

take care,
Alu.

Carnifex
03-07-2008, 06:06 AM
I wanted to find another way to indicate political border else than red line.

I already have a political colored map, but the one below is for my game room: something in the size of 4' by 3' and laminated, so I must make sure I don't put it wrong...

I want to get easy readable texts and national border.

take care,
Alu.

Ok.. if you are having trouble reading the text (due to small size or whatever) I'd choose a font like arial or a similar sans-serif style (Frankling gothic, calibri, tahoma etc). Choose black or white text and black or white background.

I really liked your first map - can't you try to make the color of the sea light blue?

Did a real quick job on your map just to try another type of border. Also painted the sea blue but I'm sure you'll do a better job. BTW how did you get the sea effect? PS?

alucard339
03-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks carni, I like what you did about the border sound cool.

I will try it.

As for the sea, I'll do a small tutorial by the beginning of the week,

Alu.

alucard339
03-08-2008, 09:58 AM
I really liked your first map - can't you try to make the color of the sea light blue?

I will try later on this week.

Did a real quick job on your map just to try another type of border. Also painted the sea blue but I'm sure you'll do a better job. BTW how did you get the sea effect? PS?

How did u do it? I'm quite sure that itís simple (once you know how).

Did u just draw a large color line then erase it partially to give it this fading look?

thanks,
Alu.

Carnifex
03-09-2008, 12:04 PM
I will try later on this week.

How did u do it? I'm quite sure that it’s simple (once you know how).

Did u just draw a large color line then erase it partially to give it this fading look?

thanks,
Alu.

Eh.. actually it was a little bit complicated but I couldn't think of any easier way of doing it.

* I marked the area that I want to have a border.
* Save the selection.
* Reverse selection and feather selection.
* Make a new layer.
* Fill with the color of your choice. (Fill several times to make a more distinct border)
* Deselect.
* Load the selection you previously saved and do "reverse selection".
* Delete (backspace or Delete button).
* Manually delete the border by the coast.
Finished.

(Quicker way but not as good: Select the country. Reverse the selection and paint the border with a quite large soft brush.)

Carnifex
03-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Ok. this one is simplier and better I think:

* Make selection of the country.

* Save selection for later use

* New layer

* Fill with the color of the border.

* Contract selection x pixels.

* Feather selection x pixels

* Press "Delete"

* Erase the border manually where you don't want it.

X pixels depends on the resolution of the image.

alucard339
03-09-2008, 01:10 PM
thanks, I'll try I today and let u see the result.

Kagehito
03-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Very nice work!

You can really tell that alot of effort was put into this, and you can;'t agrue that the final product doesn't reak of awesomeness.

Good Job!

*pats back*

alucard339
03-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Here is a version of my map with the borders.

Tomorrow, I'll try to post the version with the scroll and all for your comments.

Goodnight,
Alu.