PDA

View Full Version : May/June 2011 Lite Challenge Entry - Rayr 2 Orbital Analysis

Greel
06-07-2011, 01:28 AM
A bit of a late entry (I forgot the Lite Challenge existed) but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to play around in space.

I'm going for a Star Trek main viewscreen style look here as a ship approaches a planet to determine how viable it is for Fuel Gel extraction, a highly unstable material which posses extraordinarily high energy output when burned. Even the sun's rays during the day time are potent enough to ignite Fuel Gel, so mining can only commence during the night hours of a planet.

###LATEST WIP###

Troedel
06-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Looks very good and promising. Go get it!
The overlay seems to take hold... ;)

Master TMO
06-07-2011, 10:41 AM
One of the things I'm glad about in my challenge submission is that I won't have to post all those spatial survey statistics. I think I can generally understand what everybody is posting in their maps, but there's no way I know enough to make up my own believable stats. :D All the submissions are looking good, too.

One question, are the golden lines Fuel Gel deposits, or coastlines? When I first saw the thumbnail, I thought it was coastlines, but looking closer it looks like it might be indicating the Gel.

Steel General
06-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Looks like a fine start, but even at full resolution some of the smaller text is a bit hard to read.

Greel
06-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Yeah, those are the Fuel Gel deposits.

The stats part was the easiest part, being in love with space and astronomy, I wrote a small flash program that randomly generates planets, so I just generated a couple until I liked the results, copied and pasted

The really small text (I'll assume you were talking about the stuff in the corner) was just supposed to be fluff, I wasn't even going to have real text, but even at that size it was readable enough that if I just put gibberish it would have been very noticeable. But I got rid of those windows as I didn't really like them.

jtougas
06-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Very Nice. Mining seems to be popular this time around. :)

Greel
06-07-2011, 06:02 PM
I wasn't liking the way it was looking so I completely redid the style of the HUD. I think it looks sleeker now with a more unified color scheme, and a definite boarder between viewscreen and HUD.

###LATEST WIP###

walterful
06-07-2011, 07:19 PM
(In my best George Takei impersonation) Oh my...

That's a fantastic revision, I love the new HUD. All of this new competition, perhaps I should revisit my entry...

Though I am sad you named the nebula; I really kinda liked the lazy apathy of "Some Nebula."

Diamond
06-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Damn. Another awesome entry...

arsheesh
06-07-2011, 09:55 PM
I know right?! This is going to be a really tough one to judge. Great job Greel.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Greel
06-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Added a few fluff details, and fixed a few errors (my axis' were almost 90 off) and changed the Fuel Gel layout so it didn't look so overwhelming. Some things are intentionally left a little vague (like the highlighted moon) to try and convey the sense that the people who are actually piloting this vessel are trained pilots who are very familiar with the systems, and don't need their hands held.

### LATEST WIP ###

Greel
06-11-2011, 02:00 PM
I should probably call this one finished, otherwise I will continue trying to add stuff, and risk making it look too messy/busy. I've tried to include as much information as possible without overwhelming the image and without explicitly presenting the information. Everything has a purpose and serves to tell a little bit about the planet in some way. The edges of the HUD represent various location/positional information, the magnetic field lines indicate that the planet has an active core and that delicate equipment/personal will be protected from the solar wind, the arrows on the equator indicate rotational direction etc.

*** Latest WIP ***

ravells
06-14-2011, 10:20 AM
That's a real stunner, Greel!!!!

Jaxilon
06-14-2011, 07:57 PM
This is really awesome, it looks like it belongs in a video game too!