PDA

View Full Version : [Withdrawn] June 2011 Challenge Entry: The Battle of the Argentium

Diamond
06-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Wow, I can't believe no one's started yet! :shock:

My entry is going to show a three-day battle in the Great War Between the Really Really Bad Vampires and the Squeaky-Clean Humans. (Name subject to change. :D)

In this battle, considered by many scholars to be a major turning point in the war, the legions of the Valtan Empire held the Great Bridge over the Argentium River for three days, holding off and eventually routing one of the largest armies of the Long Night.

**Placeholder for now; WIP to come**

LonewandererD
06-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Nice ideas and imaginative names, should be interesting. I think the reason no one has started is that everyone is waiting to see what everyone else is doing, or are like me and still can't make up their minds as what to do.

-D-

Diamond
06-09-2011, 02:18 AM
This is probably going to cost me some points, but I decided to use Ascension's fantastic 'Swiss Atlas' style for my base map(s). There will be three duplicates of this map, depicting from top to bottom day 1, 2, and 3 of the battle, showing various troop placements etc. on each day.

### Latest WIP ###

jtougas
06-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Oh boy here we go...I still can't decide what I'm going to do and already people are firming up ideas. :) Great idea Diamond this one looks to be another contender. :)

ravells
06-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Oh cool, I'm so glad you're using Ascension's swiss atlas style....I love it and have been meaning to try it myself for ages.

Diamond
06-09-2011, 11:33 PM
I decided to do without the contour lines; they cluttered things up too much, and I don't want them to distract from the unit placement, which is the main focus of the map, after all.

### Latest WIP ###

mmmmmpig
06-11-2011, 12:15 AM
oh, but I LOVED the contours... I would try pushing the texturizing of the terrain down and re-introduce the contours... the contours made it something very different, in my opinion.

Diamond
06-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Hmmm. Let me try that and see how it works.

RjBeals
06-11-2011, 02:46 PM
yeah I liked those contours also. Already a kick-ass entry.

Diamond
06-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to withdraw from this month's challenge. Real world issues are preventing me from doing any mapping for the next few weeks. May have to drop a commission too, although I'm frenziedly trying to complete at least that...

ravells
06-24-2011, 03:41 AM
Rats, your entry was looking really good too. Lot's of withdrawals this month which is a real shame.

Hope r/l gets less frenzied soon.

Diamond
06-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Yeah, my brother was hospitalized and a bunch of other crapola all kind of descended on me at the same time. Ah well. Life goes on.

arsheesh
06-30-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm sorry to here about your brother Diamond, and your other troubles. I will be lifting you and your brother up in my prayers.

Yours,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
07-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks, 'sheesh. My bro was released back into the wild a few days ago, so at least that's one less thing to worry about...