PDA

View Full Version : Loftwick

delgondahntelius
02-18-2008, 11:17 AM
This is another old map done with CC2 Pro and features the city of Loftwick, capital of the Yeomanry in the world of Greyhawk. This one wasn't quite completed still lacking a legend, though as you can tell I had started one. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of CD3 so that I can update this one.

City of Loftwick (http://mysite.verizon.net/delgondahntelius/maps/loftwick.PNG)

JPG of Loftwick (http://mysite.verizon.net/delgondahntelius/maps/loftwick.jpg)

finally got a thumbnail up *del

NeonKnight
02-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Get the following when I click on the link :(

The image “http://mysite.verizon.net/delgondahntelius/maps/loftwick.PNG” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Try using the attachment and directly insert you image into the message (It is the paperclip icon above).

delgondahntelius
02-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Added a jpg link .. lets see if that works. Adding the map directly with the image button doesn't make a thumbnail and its like 3200x2400 ... that's huge

The Cartographist
02-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Just a question: Is it me or are the majority of the structures in that city pyramids?

Unusual if that is the case. Not bad--just unusual.

NeonKnight
02-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Just a question: Is it me or are the majority of the structures in that city pyramids?

Unusual if that is the case. Not bad--just unusual.

Nope, they are just peaked roofs. CC2's City Desgner Pro had different methods for making buidlings.

delgondahntelius
02-18-2008, 06:38 PM
What he said... and at the time I had a slower computer and the simple roof design reduced my redraw rate... and, doing each one of those houses individually with that style hurt the carpal tunnel less... :)

pyrandon
02-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Great map, delg.! I'm definitely interested in seeing what you do with it in the update! What were your thoughts in its design; I haven't worked in Greyhawk since 1984 or so, so are there design guidelines or maps to work from, or is this all your brainchild?

delgondahntelius
02-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanx, I could never find a map reference to what loftwick's layout might be, so its all from the dark recesses of my mind. The setting was current to present CY, that is after the Giants ransacked Geoff and made a run at the Freehold. The year and campaign to date was the only guidelines, so it was all pretty much from scratch. City maps are both fun and painful at the same time, very time consuming, or at least this one was.

pyrandon
02-18-2008, 10:42 PM
City maps are both fun and painful at the same time, very time consuming, or at least this one was.

Yes, I agree 100%. This is exactly why I myself spent so much time trying to streamline the creation process for myself--if I hadn't then I would almost never be making city maps, as they were too exhausting. But now that I have done the leg work I can create them in a few hours vs. days.

I'd imagine CC makes the process easier, right? (I use Photoshop)

delgondahntelius
02-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Yes, CC does have quite a few little tools that make the process easier, unfortunately I usually discover those after I've done a bunch of needless work... but chalk it up to experience eh?

I just found that I had Photoshop CS2 on here, and i'm having some fun with it, as well as seeing how great a map making utility it can be... I've had experience with PSP and some of the functions work the same (mask, raster, layers.. etc) but I feel it may be quite some time before I can make any useful or decent map with it...

pyrandon
02-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Ah, great. Be sure to check out the tutorials here at the Guild--there are some really good tuts/walk-thrus/links/resources for PS.

delgondahntelius
02-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks, have been checking those out as a matter of fact... PS is going to seriously enhance my maps and hopefully my mapmaking skills... I even went and ordered a graphic tablet... which I have a good feeling will provide greater precision with PS as well as saving my hand from mouse cramps...

I'm sure I'll have a few questions for you and those avid PS users here at the guild... so fair warning :D

GlennZilla
02-19-2008, 03:12 PM
You'll want to cruise through the tutorials. There's a cubic crapton* of stuff there that you'll love. I know I spent about a month in there when I joined without every posting a word.

*Texas-speak from a lapsed Texan.

delgondahntelius
02-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Lol.. texas speak eh, my native tongue. I'm fixin' ta grab a whole mess'ah these tutorials an' git'r'done... (btw, I hate that phrase... git'r done... it was funny the first billion times I heard it.. now it's officially annoying.)

I just hope when I get my PS setup with my tablet and get sitiat'd* that I'll be able to make it do what I want it to do... But from the looks of it, most of my questions can be answered in the resource section ...

landorl
02-20-2008, 02:43 PM
This is a nice looking map. You did a great job with the houses, I like the way that they fit together.

The one thing that I see as a problem is on the terrain features, you have a lot of sharp turns and straight lines. You might want to consider converting them to curved (or smooth?) lines to soften the edges.

BTW - Can't wait for City Designer for CC3!