PDA

View Full Version : Guache & Color Overlay

AaronAugustus
06-13-2011, 09:54 PM
There are a few things I need.

There's a pattern in Photoshop that I'd very much like in GIMP. It's called Guache.
There's also a technique in Photoshop that I'm not sure how to do in GIMP if it's even possible. Color Overlay.

If anyone can help me with this it would be very very very much appreciated. I want to make the sexy oceans I saw here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?4768-Argent-Islands&highlight=argent), and the only thing keeping me from doing so in GIMP are those two things.

Ascension
06-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Color overlay is just a color with a blend mode of overlay...you can reproduce that fairly simple. Pick your color, fill the layer, set the blend mode to overlay, crop to fit the selection of land or use a mask. The gouache is a pattern, I'll upload it for ya. The swirly bits in the ocean are from a Xenofex filter called hair (I think).

AaronAugustus
06-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Awesome and thanks. While you're here.

Fairly simple. Start with a pattern, in this case a default PS pattern called Guache. Add a color overlay to that, steel blue, and set the blend of the color overlay to color. Make a new layer, fill it with clouds, run the Eye Candy filter Swirl, erase all but the lightest colors, add a color overlay to that of mint green with a blend mode of soft light, and add an outer glow of mint green.
I don't have the Eye Candy Swirl filter in GIMP. Does IWirl do the same thing?

Jaxilon
06-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Hmm, that's strange Ascension, how does one get that pattern. It shows as an attachment but then you can't click it. Maybe I just need to go drink my second cup of coffee so my brain works...

Midgardsormr
06-18-2011, 12:02 PM
It's not a thumbnail; that's the entire image. Just right-click and save.

Jaxilon
06-18-2011, 12:46 PM
LOL..told you I needed more coffee. I guess I was expecting a larger image but that works.