PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Crashed, now my map is corrupt - any way to recover?

RjBeals
06-14-2011, 10:29 AM
I spent the past few weeks working on my masterpiece map ;)
It was much larger than I've ever worked with, and had illustrator smart objects placed into it.
Last night, I saved as I normally do. I opened the file this morning and saw this:

http://gyazo.com/6a5c955813e8356812e57124bd512bea

http://gyazo.com/6a5c955813e8356812e57124bd512bea

The file is 417 mb. But it's just 1 layer of red/black noise. From searching this morning, It seems I'm screwed. I don't have a backup (dumb). there is no tmp file to restore. I've tried those freeware apps that claim to recover psd, but they didn't work.

I'm just reaching for any last shred of hope.

Jaxilon
06-14-2011, 11:21 AM
I had something similar happen to me a long while back and had to move forward using a .jpg I had posted as a WIP. I don't even know what smart objects are but it sounds like you lost a ton of work and that sucks. :(

I remember that sickening feeling deep in my stomach too. I feel for you and wish I had something to say that might give you a ray of hope but I don't. I do hope one of these other guys who are experts with PS know a trick or two to help you out.

If not, just know that I am standing beside you in sadness as you gaze into the chaotic fires that destroyed your hard work.

ravells
06-14-2011, 11:25 AM
All I can do it add my commiserations as well. It's soul destroying when that happens - it's happened to me a few times. I know it's closing the stable door, but nowadays I do incremental saves for just this reason.

:(

Midgardsormr
06-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Oooh, sometimes I hate Photoshop! There is a vanishingly small chance it will work, but you might try opening it in the Gimp to see if anything can be recovered. Looking at the file statistics, though, I'm guessing not.

RjBeals
06-14-2011, 11:48 AM
I think it's hosed in every sense. And I did not have any wip threads, i had no older saves, just 1 file. But yeah, it's a sickening feeling deep in my stomach. At the very least, it was practice.

The reason I didn't save more often, was because the file was so large, and each save was like 4 or 5 minutes. Interrupted the flow too much. But man, did I learn my lesson.

I'm still open to any/all suggestions. I may try the Gimp thing also - but i have little hope for that.

Gamerprinter
06-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Xara, my preferred app has crashed before, even as I was saving a file. So I also do incremental saves of all map files on a regular basis. Sometimes I've forgotten then a crash occurs and the file is lost or corrupted. Xara doesn't do this a lot, but it does happen. Sorry for your troubles, wish I could offer some better advice to help you right now, but I don't.

GP

Midgardsormr
06-14-2011, 02:02 PM
I know it doesn't help much now, but you might turn off the option in your save dialogue that creates a preview. That feature seems to take up a lot of time when I save complex files.

arsheesh
06-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Flaming poo on a stick, that sucks! Sorry to here about your loss, I'm feeling sympathy pains right now.

Condolences,
-Arsheesh

Quabbe
06-14-2011, 03:11 PM
I know very well how you feel right now and I feel with you. This happened to me long time ago with one of my very first maps and I was near a collapse. Since then I always safe as often as I can, even if the process takes 10 minutes or longer. And each map has two or three backup files. That is what I've learned from photoshop: don't trust it.

Q

Djekspek
06-14-2011, 04:05 PM
sorry, no advice here as well, just sympathies... it sucks man. Happened to all of us I see (including me) and indeed incremental saves (even if they take 10 minutes) are worth every minute of their time. PS doesn't have an autosave option as far as I know, which they should have for that kind of money.... cheers, DJ

Ascension
06-14-2011, 04:51 PM
I'll add my condolences as well, happened to me a few times. You put so much work into something and then it poofs and it sucks more if it's your personal pet project or world. I tried every product on the market for psd recovery (and the Gimp) and none of them worked so I feel your pain and desperation.

DevinNight
06-15-2011, 01:25 AM
As far as saving copies, remember you don't have to be in PS to make copies, just make a copy to a new directory, that shouldn't take any time at all, then just give it a new name. In PS I make a new file about every day I work for more than a couple hours on a file. I lost a whole summer of stuff once when my hard drive crashed, since then I do daily backups to two different drives, and rotate a third drive in once a month, that drive is then hidden in the house somewhere out of sight.

This is a last ditch effort and not sure it would work on a PC, but you might try putting a .PDF extension on your PS file. I've managed to salvage a corrupted file that way, but I was on my Mac at the time. Sorry about the loss... I know it hurts.

Redrobes
06-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Im with Devin here. I have two internal HDDs in my PC and the second is an XCopy mirror of all files in first HDD done now and again - like every day or two. Then about every few weeks to about a month or so I plug in a USB HDD and do the same XCopy to that and let it chunder, then it gets unplugged and stored. I have several of these USB HDDs - actually its one USB caddy and several raw drives with no casing cos its a lot cheaper. About once a year I take one of the drives and swap it with an off site version of it.

I also save all my maps, files and everything that I put a lot of work into as save1.png, save2.png etc as I go. I don't overwrite the last one EVER ! If I need more space I delete 1,2,3 in order leaving at least a few between the starting ones and my latest.

For those interested, make a BAT file out of something like a list of these:

xcopy C:\MyImportantStuffDir\*.* D:\MyImportantStuffDir /K /O /X /E /Y /D /C /R /F /H

and then its just a double click to backup everything thats important to you. It costs nothing but HDD space and thats cheap these days. Certainly cheaper then my time to redo it !

RjBeals
06-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I'm part of that club now. Nothing could be done to save the file, but I've already started over - and I've come to grips with that now. ha.. it's like I lost a loved one almost. But I will most definitely save and save again more often, and backup. The good news is that I had the region borders, highways and secondary roads all created in illustrator, so I had that as a starting point (again). It at least gives me a base. I had a lot of reference pictures i had found on the internet pasted in the ps file though, that I'll have to look for again. But ah well. I'll probably start a WIP thread here also - just to give me a reason to post some jpegs.

ravells
06-16-2011, 07:01 AM
I'm surprised that photoshop doesn't have an incremental save option. It would be so easy to do, so everytime you hit ctrl-S (in windows), it would save a new copy rather than overwrite the one you're working on.

Ohhh look what I just found as freeware: http://www.creativecrash.com/downloads/applications/photoshop-plugins/c/incremental-save-photoshopcs

and here: http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6337

ravells
06-16-2011, 01:52 PM
I've downloaded and installed this one (costs 5 Euros): http://autosave.cz/en/about-autosave.html

This one does an incremental autosave (you can set how often you want it to save and how many increments you want it to have before it overwrites the _01 file) and it will save to a second directory at the same time if you want it to.

I had some problems getting it to work and the guy who wrote it was very quick at replying. We traced the problem down to the fact that I have both the 32 bit and 64 bit version of photoshop installed (I use the 32 bit most because it supports the 3rd party filters I use). It will work only with the 64 bit version unless I uninstall it and then it will work with the 32 bit version....I'm a bit loath to uninstall the 64 bit version if I don't have to. I've renamed the 64bit .exe extension to disable it.

My verdict: This works well if you are running only one version of photoshop. Bit of a pain but doable if you are running two versions of photoshop (you will need to disable one as above or uninstall it).