PDA

View Full Version : June 2011 Challenge Entry - Aloria Reuinted

ravells
06-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I was helping someone on another thread with FT Pro today...I kind liked the map that came out, so being the slacker I am, I'm repurposing the map for the comp. Going for a clean graphic look to this one and messing around with some ideas. It's not a single battle, more of a campaign but well such is life!

ravells
06-14-2011, 03:24 PM
And a little update

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
06-14-2011, 04:59 PM
This doesn't look anything like Riva, Cherek, Drasnia, and Algaria. ;)

ravells
06-14-2011, 05:29 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about, big A! (seriously!)

Next WIP (I think I'm finished).

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
06-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Aloria is the term for those countries that I mentioned in the Belgariad and Mallorean series of books by David Eddings. Change it or keep it, was just ribbin ya a lil.

ravells
06-14-2011, 05:52 PM
lol! It must have lodged its way into my brain from my teens when I read them. I hate coming up with Fantasy names and usually string a lot of vowels together to make something work, or end up choosing stuff like brands of whiskey, local street names and people's names. Problem is that most fantasy authors have done that already! Aloria, Malloria, Ballorean, Fallinia, Esandia etc etc. just lots of vowels.

Ascension
06-14-2011, 09:05 PM
That's why I prefer to just go generic like Nation 1, Nation 2, etc. I hate coming up with stuff only to find out later that it's too similar to something else. I never have to struggle with naming things that way either. If I feel particularly inspired I'll name some stuff but, in the end, all of the stuff that I make up will never be used for anything so why bother taxing my brain trying to come up with names.

Sapiento
06-15-2011, 03:11 AM
Really cool!

Hai-Etlik
06-15-2011, 04:03 AM
That's why I prefer to just go generic like Nation 1, Nation 2, etc. I hate coming up with stuff only to find out later that it's too similar to something else. I never have to struggle with naming things that way either. If I feel particularly inspired I'll name some stuff but, in the end, all of the stuff that I make up will never be used for anything so why bother taxing my brain trying to come up with names.

The last time I felt that way, I just wrote a quick and dirty little name generator. I even coupled it to another little program that would look through an SVG file looking for the strings "Elf Town" and "Dwarf Town" and replace them with names from the appropriate made up language automatically.

ravells
06-15-2011, 04:28 AM
Thanks Sap.

@Hai-Etlik: Yeah, I use Alfar's Wordbuilder program for just the same thing. Unless I have an absolute ton of labels to do I find it faster just thinking up stuff on the fly.

Juggernaut1981
06-15-2011, 05:25 AM
The DonJon Name Builder was the best one I've encountered.

ravells
06-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Some final fiddling about. Must check out the Donjon Name Builder

### Latest WIP ###

Juggernaut1981
06-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Here are the Donjon Tools
http://donjon.bin.sh/

I tend to use the Fantasy Name Generator, it has a LOT of nice features for random generation.

Steel General
06-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Very nice Ravs!

Though the font you used in the grey callout boxes is a bit hard to read (at least for me).

Candacis
06-17-2011, 09:52 AM
I really like the clean look of the map, very nice. May I ask what vector program you are using for this?

ravells
06-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Cheers SG and Candacis...the font I used was Firenze, I was bit worried about legibility at that size, thanks for confirming my worry. I'll change it. Cndacis vector program I use is Serif Drawplus X4. The original map was done in FT pro which I imported into Serif as a jpg and autotraced.

Candacis
06-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info ^^ Didn't know the program. Would love to see a tutorial for this map style some day.

jtougas
06-17-2011, 02:43 PM
This is really great Ravs. This is why I didn't enter this challenge this month. I didn't want to make an image I wanted to make a map. Yours is perfect. :)

Ramah
06-18-2011, 06:05 AM
Wonderful map, Ravs. :) I'll really have to have a crack at getting to grips with a vector program some day, the output can really be stunning.

I have to agree with SG though on the font in the boxes. Legibility is down and it just doesn't seem to fit the map.

ravells
06-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Cheers Ramah...I've changed the font from Firenze to Caspar.

@JT - you are producing some really good stuff, you should enter the challenges.
@Cantacis - no tutorial required, it's really as easy as making a random map with FT pro, autotracing it and then sticking the labels on top and doing the coast outline.

Thanks for all the compliments, I like the clean style of this one.

rdanhenry
06-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Four errors, all transpositions of adjacent letters:

Gatsbridge - "releif" s/b "relief"
Second line of main text: "Alroian" s/b "Alorian"
4.22, last line - "respectively" misspelled
4.24, third line - "capitulated" misspelled

ravells
06-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks rdan....I think I may be becoming dyslexic in my advancing years!

### latest WIP ###

Greason Wolfe
06-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Dyslexic or not, that's looking pretty sharp, ravs!

GW

Djekspek
06-24-2011, 01:15 PM
That looks very good man! Somehow the image only loads half-way for me, but that may be my browser.. cheers, DJ

ravells
06-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Cheers DJ, had a quick look at yours (really glad you stepped in this month - so many people have withdrawn) and frame looks just beautiful. Can't wait to see the rest of it, I'm sure it'll be another DJ special!!! I love the mushroom cloud!