PDA

View Full Version : Fa-Nija - WIP

Ramah
06-15-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm finding it a little difficult to work on the three or four maps I am currently in the middle of (including the one I started purely to work on during the times when work was a chore on the other maps etc... irony etc.) so I figured I'd start a new map. Well... newish. ;)

In the spirit of this being a WIP thread I thought I'd post right from inception onwards. So here is my (very) preliminary sketch with a rough idea of how I figure the landmass shape will be...

Ok, so not much to look at there then. But I will almost certainly have the shape locked down and looking a little better later on tonight or tomorrow at the latest. So hopefully it will get a little more interesting then.

Ramah
06-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Pretty gutted right now. Just had a power surge that reset my PC and I lost several hours worth of work on this map. Rookie mistake not having saved it for ages. :(

Ah well, I guess it could have been worse. I feared it had been even longer since I saved it. So, I would have had the base map finished by now to post but for now here is the base map with quite a lot more tarting to do. Most of the east and north coasts are done but I need to completely redo all the west coast and islands on the left side.

This is at 25%...

ravells
06-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Gosh, how did you get from the rough to the base map????

Ascension
06-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Looks good so far. I like that canyon/fjord thing in the top left. I call it the mouth of the pterodactyl.

Ramah
06-17-2011, 03:47 AM
Looks good so far. I like that canyon/fjord thing in the top left. I call it the mouth of the pterodactyl.

Hehe. I see what you mean. :) There is also a small part of the coast that I noticed when I was doing it reminded me very much of a polar bear's head. It might not be quite so easy to spot at the 25% scale but I left it in there and figured I might even call it "Bear's Head" or something.

Ravs, just lots of faffing and redrawing, adding bits and deleting bits till I get something I like enough to leave. I'm still narked at losing those hours of work as several of the areas I had done were quite awkward to nail down. Ah well.

Steel General
06-17-2011, 07:47 AM
...and the large westernmost 'chunk' of the landmass looks a bit like an elephant head. :D

Ramah
06-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Dumboland, of course.

ravells
06-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Ravs, just lots of faffing and redrawing, adding bits and deleting bits till I
get something I like enough to leave. I'm still narked at losing those hours of
work as several of the areas I had done were quite awkward to nail down. Ah
well.

Then you are Slartibartfast! I must try drawing my own continental shapes, I rely too much on filters and it makes me lazy.

Jaxilon
06-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Ha! this is looking great but I can't understand everyone's lingo. "Faffing"? It's all good if you don't mean anything specific by it but if "faffing" is how you get the nice fractalized/torn edges then I need more direction. I need to learn how that works. I know about oldguy's tutorial and I need to put some bench time in on that but I really like how your's is looking.

Thanks for posting right from the start, I'm sure I will be loving this thread as you progress.

Ramah
06-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Hehe, sorry Jax. Faffing is a british colloquialism I guess. It just means "messing around." :)

jtougas
06-17-2011, 02:47 PM
That is such an awesome landmass shape(s). Just looking at it I can envision a hundred stories. :)

Ramah
06-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks, JT. :)

Well, here is the finished landmass base image. I'm sure as I work on other parts of the map this will be edited slightly but for now it is done.

I've altered some of the landmass shape, especially in the SW area. This is for two reasons: one, I wanted to get rid of the elephant shape as it looked a little too distracting and two, I wanted to alter the composition a little when the bottom part of the map is added, making that part a little more to the left than dead center.

Edit: Oh, obviously the full continent doesn't end at that straight line like that. :)

Candacis
06-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Wow, very impressive. I'm curious about the bottom part and I hope we will see that soon. How do you do all those details?

lostatsea
06-18-2011, 09:22 AM
I am a sucker for interesting shapes. This one is that indeed !! I have trouble sometimes though with being drawn to "Negative" space. I assume the black is the landmass But it Would also make a excellent in- land Sea ! Nice Job !

Ramah
06-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks guys.

Ok, quick update here. Not had much time to spend on here today so I quickly added a background, a base colour, some coastal strokes and a border. All the coast and colouring etc. will have to be redone as I add rivers and such but for now it gives me something a little more interesting to work on.

Oh, and I also added the southern section in for a bit of a "tada!" moment to anyone familiar with my work.

Forum doesn't want to let the thumbnail work. Bah.

Ascension
06-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Works for me, looks pretty good. There might be too many rivers but I'm not sure what you're going to fill the space with so there might be too few :) I dunno.

Beoner
06-19-2011, 09:52 AM
As always a nice work Ramah. Interesting you added the Vanyia shape on the southern of the continent.

This map will be awesome....

Wish I could do something like your maps '-'. BTW, how do you make this old style paper?

Ramah
06-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks Beoner.

Yeah, well since I did Vaniya digitally (on paper it was a little different and the top didn't disappear off the page) I kinda wondered what was north of there. So I figured it was time to find out. :) Of course, this makes a country like Northerond appear to have a totally mismatched name and I think I may have to play the old "drop the first letter off the name to get a new name" game there. Hehe.

As to that paper, it is once again one of Coyotemax's papers that he posted. Check out the Elements forum to snag them all. I had to paste 4 rotated and mirrored versions of it together for it to be big enough though. And then some judicious use of the healing brush to get rid of the seams and most tell-tale features on the copied parts.

arsheesh
06-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Another auspicious beginning sir!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Eilathen
06-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Totally looking forward to this...because i also always wondered what is "north of there" ;) :D

Beoner
06-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Oh! Thanks Ramah, finally found the coyotemax tuto for old paper :)
Names are difficult to match sometimes that's why I search for some names on the real world or in other people maps, then i get some ideas. But the game is a nice ideia as well.

Totally looking forward to this...because i also always wondered what is "north of there" ;) :D

What a coincidence, me too xD

Ramah
06-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Quick update. This shows the preliminary positioning for the mountains. I'll probably add and more and subtract some as I go along.

Bah! Again the thumbnail is refusing to work.