PDA

View Full Version : Hiborea: A Commission

jtougas
06-18-2011, 09:33 PM
This is a commission for Depravus this is the continent of Hiborea. There will be three more continents in this series.

This is the basic land shape along with some texture and the major rivers and political boundaries.

bartmoss
06-19-2011, 03:23 AM
I like the shape, can't wait to see how this will turn out.

ravells
06-19-2011, 06:34 AM
Lookin' good so far, JT!

Steel General
06-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Looks like a fine start...

arsheesh
06-19-2011, 12:07 PM
JT you must be the single most prolific artist here at the Guild! How you manage to find time to craft all these maps I'll never know. Keep up the good work though my friend, I'm always excited to see what you've got in store next.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Jaxilon
06-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Nice start man, look forward to where you take it.

jtougas
06-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks everyone. arsheesh. I have WAY too much time on my hands. This map actually encouraged me to go start up another nation in Nationstates. (more time gone..). Anyway I decided I didn't like the texture in the previous version. I think I use too many textures in my maps and I'm going to go in a different direction with this one.

jtougas
06-21-2011, 03:47 PM
So I'm having a bit of a struggle with this, I need to several mountains (one long chain and several more dotted about) I've tried a grunge brush and an emboss filter but it doesn't seem quite right and the full on wilbur mountains are a bit too much for the style that I am going for. Any suggestions? :)

ravells
06-22-2011, 05:07 AM
It's kind of hard to say without knowing what the overall style is going to be. Have you tried hatchures? (Hairy caterpillars)? Or you could just use a single contour line for the chain?

Hai-Etlik
06-22-2011, 06:10 AM
It's Baffin Island?

Steel General
06-22-2011, 08:16 AM
You could my stacked textured layers, there's a short tutorial I created a while back.

Jaxilon
06-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I agree with ravels, it's hard to say what you might try without knowing what style you are moving towards.

What I have found works best for my satellite top down mountains in Gimp is a combination of filters and in the end just hand tweaking them with shadows and highlights. I've sort of gotten to the point that if you want it right you have to paint it yourself. Sometimes you can get pretty good using the software but it's no guarantee. Maybe PS has better stuff. If you look up Dj's tutorial on hand painting mountains it's an awesome place to start.

As someone said the hairy caterpillar might work as well. I'll have to check out the 'stacked textured layers' tutorial I don't think I've seen that one.

arsheesh
06-22-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm taking notes here, I too have yet to land upon a Mt. Style that I'm completely satisfied with. I'll have to take a closer look at some of these suggestions.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

jtougas
06-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Sorry everyone I should have been more specific about what style I was trying to achieve. As this is for Nationstates I am going for an atlas style. I have never done this style before and it's proving to be a challenge. I think I might at least have the mountains sorted. Thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions. I could use some feedback on this as the more I look at it the more I don't like it. (I think I feel a mojo loss coming on) :(

Steel General
06-23-2011, 07:51 AM
The current 'style' on your map seems a bit blurry (or it might just be me).

bartmoss
06-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Doesn't look blurry to me, but the pattern on the mountains seems repetitive - especially on the SE one.

Ascension
06-23-2011, 05:09 PM
The little gray things look more like clumps of gray forest to me. If I were you, I'd use the more symbol-style of mountains (you know the upside down Vs) to go along with the linework of the country borders. If you really want to go atlas style then you need more of a shaded relief style mountains and not satellite style mountains.