PDA

View Full Version : *** June/July Lite Challenge: Free for all ***

torstan
06-21-2011, 11:42 AM
This month it's a free for all in the lite challenge! (and apologies for the late launch of this month's lite challenge. Guilty as charged)

The challenge is to take this silhouette and turn it into any kind of map you can imagine:

It can be an island chain, the outline of an large structure of dark matter holding together a stream of galaxies or a region of poisinous fungus suffusing a dungeon cavern. Just make sure that the shape is clearly visible and recognisable in the map, and that it represents a key element of the map.

Each entry should be posted in a new thread, with June/July Challenge Entry: <name of entry> in the title. Each work in progress thumbnail should be preceded by ### Latest WIP ### to make sure the thumbs are picked up by the thumbnailer script.

The contest will end on the 15th of July.

The winner will receive honour, glory, a silver lite challenge medal and a $40 Profantasy gift voucher.

http://fantasticmaps.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/sponsor1.jpg (http://www.profantasy.com/)

eViLe_eAgLe
06-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Can we edit it a bit but keep the same overall silhouette?

jtougas
06-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Oof..here we go again.... Of course I'm going to enter but I really need to get outside of the box on this... :)

torstan
06-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Yep, as ever ultimately the agreement with the rules is judged by the voters, but if I can't see the shape as a major element in your map it might get disqualified. Obviously there's a grey area on how much modification you can get away with.

jtougas
06-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Ugh.. No way I can enter this. I can barely drum up the motivation to work on the commission I just took. Mapping Mojo...Disengage... :(

Master TMO
06-27-2011, 11:31 AM
I am contemplating entering, even though it's totally not my style. *shrug* We shall see what this week brings.

torstan
07-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Lots of entries this month. The contest will close on the 15th at midday EST (or thereabouts). Make sure you get your final edits done on time!

Jaxilon
07-15-2011, 02:23 AM
Wow, there are a lot of entries...what's the math on the number of votes we get again?

ravells
07-15-2011, 08:49 AM
I vote for every 5 entries rounded down.

torstan
07-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Yes, there will be three votes each for this one.

torstan
07-15-2011, 05:07 PM
The challenge is now closed. I'll get a voting thread up today (or tomorrow at the lates).

Jaxilon
07-17-2011, 01:59 AM
I just wanted to say thank you to those of you who month after month put in the effort to setup all the challenges. I know it's not all automatic so thank you this time to Torstan for taking care of things for all of us.

Jaxilon
07-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Anyone know if Torstan is ok? He does live in New York after all.

torstan
07-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Sorry! Totally my fault. I'm on it right now. Voting will be up shortly.

Jaxilon
07-18-2011, 12:13 PM
No worries, I was just concerned because you are usually right on the ball so I thought maybe you had gotten mugged or something. Thanks again man.

torstan
07-18-2011, 12:29 PM
No worries. There was a wedding (not mine) and some very nice cocktails involved. I think it is fair to say that yesterday I felt like I had been mugged, but all the pain was self inflicted :) Challenge voting is now up, and the new lite challenge will be posted later today.

altasilvapuer
09-04-2011, 10:19 PM
So, I'm rather late for this challenge, but while browsing the forum today, I stumbled across the results of this challenge and by correlation this shape, and it resonates well. Did it originate with you, Torstan, or with someone else? And more importantly, what does that mean for rights to the image? Does anyone have any problems with me making a world map completely unrelated to this challenge that features that shape prominently? I haven't done any major cartography in over a year, and I'm rather itching to get back in it, again, and this outline looks like a fun place to re-enter for a while.

-asp

tilt
09-05-2011, 04:09 AM
I'm sure that you can use the shape as you please, it was created for the challenge and thus was put up for anyone to use it, so map away :)

altasilvapuer
09-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Woo! Off to the land of the Photoshop for a couple hours, then.

-asp