PDA

View Full Version : June/July Challenge Entry: Anadnac Empire

timallen
06-22-2011, 11:29 PM
I was fooling around with perspective today. You will note that I did include the black blotches, although technically I did not "use them to make a map". I hope that this is still within the legal limits of the contest! I"m not really that happy with how this has turned out so far and may have to go back several doz. steps.

### Latest WIP ###

bartmoss
06-23-2011, 05:57 AM
Uh, looks like a map to me, really... ;)

ravells
06-23-2011, 07:10 AM
As long as they are incorporated in some recognisable way, it's fine. Ultimately the voters will decide anyway.

timallen
06-23-2011, 10:47 AM
You know, the more I look at it, the more I realize there isnt much "map" in this map. I was too focused on creating an evocative background and playing with perspective. I think I need to back up, dump the perspective and concentrate on making a map first, then put the holes into it, and only then see about using 3D perspectives.

Ascension
06-23-2011, 05:05 PM
It's a very simple road map, sure, but mappy nonetheless. I'm more distracted by the gray clouds at the top than anything else. I think it looks fine, shrug.

timallen
07-05-2011, 03:39 PM
I"ve started on a new map, but I don't know if I will have enough free time right now to finish. At least I feel better about this map. I am starting from the beginning and will only add the black blotchy "holes" once I am done. I want to keep the concept of the holes, but the rest of the map will be new.

tilt
07-06-2011, 09:20 AM
fun idea - and its definitly a map :)

timallen
07-08-2011, 10:22 PM
ok, so here is a pirate-y map. This is looking more like what I wanted. Still need to add some detail, but I think its got the right feel now.

timallen
07-08-2011, 10:45 PM
And here is the map made "holey". Not bad. I may see how the holes look more to the right and perhaps enlarged.

### Latest WIP ###

timallen
07-08-2011, 11:59 PM
And here is what I got after a lot of messing about. Hmmm...its still not exactly how I wanted it, but I dont think i will be doing much more to it. there are a few extra glowing words and marks on this one- the idea being that you can only see these when you hold the map up to a light. Meh...that maybe didnt work all that well.

The main thing is that the holes are there and distinguishable as the blotches we were supposed to use in the contest. But instead of taking them and making something out of them, I decided to make Nothing out of them! ;-)

### Latest WIP ###

bartmoss
07-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Hmm except, I hate to say it, the shape was supposed to be a feature of the map itself, not holes in it.

Ascension
07-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Props for making nothing out of something - holes was a cool idea but I think I have to agree with Bart. But I'm just 1.

timallen
07-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Well.

Guess I will take myself out of the running, then.

Jaxilon
07-09-2011, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't take it out timallen - it does say "whatever kind of map you can imagine" and to me I think it's fine. I've put some entries in that were perhaps a bit odd compared to whatever everyone else did and it all comes down to the voters anyway. Sure, there may be some who might love your map but choose not to vote for it because they feel it's outside the idea but there are also those who will salute you for thinking outside the box.

I think it looks really cool and I for one hope you leave it in.

jbgibson
07-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Speaking as someone who took a stab at the last competition from so far outside the box that I needed binoculars to SEE the box :-), I think you're cool. Folks may go "meh, holes..." and not like it, but I think it is a map where you can see those shapes clearly. Please don't withdraw it! Note I'm not saying there's AnYtHiNg wrong with the judgement that my Bluemarble Battle or your motheaten map Anadnac is skirting the edge of legitimacy and unworthy of a vote - I have fun just entering: I hope you do as well.

Now, if the place is Anadnac, I would almost expect a few more holes.... maybe one like so?

:-)

timallen
07-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Exactly!

;-)