PDA

View Full Version : [CG Choice Map] The Butcher, The Baker, and that Other Guy

Ascension
06-23-2011, 12:15 AM
I wanted to finish this up while I had some time to do so. I came up with names for towns - took the easy way out and picked musical terms that most folks don't really know too well. Naming the terrain features was also fairly simple as I used a translator (Babylon 9) and once I decided to name my desert "The Bakery" I then decided to name my volcanoes "The Candles"...all I needed was a butcher and I had my title so the forest became "The Forest of Butchery". I know my translations are technically incorrect but I didn't have enough space to cram all that text in that some of the languages require so I took some shortcuts. The languages are Swedish, Irish, English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Turkish. The parchment was one of CoyoteMax's that I tweaked out the bright areas. I am bad at drawing ships so I used the Ships n Boats font for those. The only other font on the whole thing is Bouwsma Uncial and since it doesn't have any numbers I had to use Roman numerals for the scale (0, 50, 100, 150, 200, 250). So the parchment, font, and ships are not mine but the drawing and painting are. I wanted to do something nice for the title text but I am also really bad at designing swirlies and swashes; that's also why I didn't do a proper cartouche. The rhumblines, shrug, just something I threw in instead of doing a compass. The color scheme might seem odd but I wanted to use a 19th century palette like they use in the old "bird's eye" style of city maps. It was mainly for practice and learning how to set my layers up a little better (which I failed at miserably ending up with over 100 again because each little icon has 3 layers with it, 4 with text). This version is scaled down to 66% and quality reduced from 12 to 9 to fit the forum limits. The original is 22 x 18 (6600 x 5100) and full quality jpg is 28 megs.

What I learned: work on a smaller canvas when just practicing because it may turn into something huge :)

What I still need to work on: using less layers, learn to draw boats and swirlies and cartouches, make it all "less busy" which should be easier if working on a smaller canvas.

~A~

Sapiento
06-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Great map, full of detail!

arsheesh
06-23-2011, 01:08 AM
This is impressive work A! My hat is off to you sir!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Jaxilon
06-23-2011, 01:13 AM
Dude, that is awesome. I love how it looks.

I feel you on the making things too big for experimentation - I recently dealt with continuous crashes and slow motion while attempting one of these. In the end I was so frustrated and lost as much work as I accomplished. The lesson I learned was the same as your's, go smaller for experimentation.

At least yours turned out so sweet.

NeonKnight
06-23-2011, 02:00 AM
WOW!....simply just wow!

ravells
06-23-2011, 04:40 AM
What a glorious map. Glad you finished it. It's got that trademark Ascension small scale!

Steel General
06-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Ascension you never cease to amaze me. Very Nice!

TheRedEpic
06-23-2011, 01:46 PM
I LOVE this map. Fantastic old world feel, muted colors and excellent design... it actually reminds me of the Medici maps that i saw when i was in Florence. This is truly an inspiring piece of cartography, you never cease to amaze me with your skills! The only thing i find not as fitting for such an individual unique piece such as this, is the repeat use of some of your glyph designs, such as the mine symbol, or the temple things in the mountains. If you could just make them all look slightly different i think it would complete this epic piece. Just my 2 cents of course:)

~Jared

jtougas
06-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Maps like this make me realize that I have no business in this hobby. Truly Awesome !! :)

Ramah
06-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Lovely map, Ascension. :)

Glad you changed the roads from the little dots. They stand out a lot better now.

Ascension
06-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Thank you all very much. :) I put over 50 hours into this darn map and my will sort of began to ebb away so that's the main reason for it not being as diversified in areas as it could be. That and I'm not really creative when it comes to architecture. Hopefully it fulfills its secondary purpose to inspire others to always be awesome. In the end, I do it all for you guys to maybe, hopefully, spark something inside and inspire you to epicness. I tell ya one thing, though - this is the third poster size map that I've done in the past few months (2 commissions) and working that large for that long really drains ya. I need to do a city map and get my sanity back. ;)

Valtharius
06-24-2011, 09:56 PM
You are my cartography inspiration! What an absolutely gorgeous map!!! I would love to see the tutorial for this! *hint* *nudge* *nudge*

Thank you for sharing this marvelous work!

~Val

Katto
06-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Wow, wow ...WOW!

Aenigma
06-25-2011, 05:30 PM
I don't know what to say... It's just so awesome!

Beoner
06-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Wow! Good job. I really liked this map, just saved on my favorite ones :)

MrOmo
06-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Great job Ascension, really inspiring. Noticed some words in sort of Portuguese, Spanish or other Latino languages. Is that true or I'm going nuts??!?!

Ascension
06-25-2011, 09:42 PM
La marisma de muerte is Spanish (I think) for swamp of death.

Diamond
06-28-2011, 11:30 PM
This is just outstanding, Big A. Definitely in my top five fave maps of all time.

Jegol
07-20-2011, 04:42 AM
Quite possibly one of my favorite maps. Definitely in the top 3. Nice!

cantab
07-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Excellent art, excellent topography, and excellent settlement naming (picking names all from one source always gives a good unity.)

Carnivale
07-22-2011, 03:43 PM
The colours and art style is pure joy for eyes!

RjBeals
07-22-2011, 08:32 PM
yeah man, I share the same feelings as the rest of this group. What a true masterpiece. The little details are amazing. I first read how you experimented to find a faster way to end up to your finished goal... then I read 50 hours - that seems more like it. You can surely tell you put the effort into this one. That cliff is amazing. And the mountains all over are as well. I love the colors you used as well, and that woodcut style border around the coast fits perfectly. Man.... I'll just stare at this one a while longer !!

silverhead
07-23-2011, 03:06 PM
I know I'm a month late to this thread, but I've just discovered it. Awesome!

Immolate
07-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Such a lovely map Ascension, and a remarkable departure from the styles you've perfected. This really showcases your artistry. I'm enchanted!

Coyotemax
08-14-2011, 03:20 AM
DId I not comment on this previously? I'm sure I did.. ahwell, ghostpost!

Every time I think "Ok I'm doing awesome" you come along and do something like this that puts me back in my place :) Seriously, this is one of the best maps I've seen from you (and that's saying a lot). I'm running out of unique comments so I'll just finish off with *snagged for inspiration*....

(hrmm.. less layers? heresy!)

OutcastGames
08-23-2011, 10:18 PM
I have just gone through all your maps, great stuff!

Ascension
08-24-2011, 01:49 AM
Thank ya very much.

Schley
08-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Nice work! Repped!

Needamedic
08-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Maps like this make me realize that I have no business in this hobby. Truly Awesome !! :)

I can relate to this statement. I can't even hand draw on paper. But I will keep trying and eventually post something up for you all to crit.

A. You are a true inspiration. Thanks.

tilt
08-29-2011, 10:50 AM
fantastic map - love the colors, and I know what you mean about layers, one tend to get 100+ ... but then again - I don't care as long as I can change stuff easily :)

Ascension
08-31-2011, 03:21 AM
Medicman...that's why I do what I do. And to have my mom hang it on the refrigerator. :) As long as you enjoy something then keep playing with it. Wait, that sounded bad. Anyway, thank you, man.

LordNightwinter
09-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Out of curiosity do you plan on possibly doing a tutorial for this style map?

Ascension
09-22-2011, 02:32 AM
Don't know if I could. It's 99% digitally drawn and colored - the parchment comes from Coyotemax with some brightness tweaks by me, the woodcut waves are a bunch of filters I forget, and the icons I drew on a napkin and cleaned up in Photoshop. If I did a tut results would vary widely so that might be rather useless since everyone draws differently. I could try, I guess. You'd get an understanding of the process and some technical bits about tool functionality in Photoshop. I'll see what I can do over the weekend.

LordNightwinter
09-22-2011, 07:04 AM
Ah, you're a pro I think you can do it. *wink wink nudge nudge hint hint*

Bruno Cabral
10-26-2011, 07:06 PM
When i grow up, i want make maps like this!

m.s.jackson
01-21-2012, 01:00 PM
This map is simply amazing, stunningly so. Any publisher out there should snag you up immediately for some map work. Great job!

nerull
01-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Awesome map!!! Congratz!!!

dangerdog15
01-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Ascension, you continue to amaze me! Really beautiful map, with incredible detail.

mindcloud
01-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Ascension, that is an absolutely wonderful map. I would like to use it for a campaign my wife and I are running. Is there any way I might get a copy of the uncompressed version for personal use?

Kiarelle Alaisdair
02-06-2012, 08:30 PM
This map is just glorious and very very inspiring, it was fascinating to go through the WIP thread. Thank you for sharing the progress :)

wally-d-feed
02-10-2012, 06:59 AM
I love it. especially the whole darkness about this map and the way you did the coastlines with those wavy looking lines

Also it made me notice how awesome it looks to indicate cold climate by using the colour white ... might sound stupid but I haven't thought about that before though it's a pretty obvious idea... :D

Lemon
03-05-2012, 07:01 PM
*Thumbs up*

medecinqui
03-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Awesome musically-themed town names!
Presto, indeed!

domnic
06-21-2012, 12:33 PM
That map is a delight to pore over.

I particularly love the completely meaningless Italian names, like "Oppure" and "Troppo". This map got a laugh out of me as well as a sigh of envy.

Lyandra
06-24-2012, 06:17 AM
Beautiful map! I really like the color scheme and the immense amount of detail. Great place names too. ;)

Raederle
07-04-2012, 08:38 AM
I actually like the color scheme and the "busy" aspect of it.

Would you mind if brushes were made from your drawings on the map for other people's maps?

~ Raederle

PS: This is one of my favorite maps I've seen on this site thus far. Definitely in my top three.

aegean
07-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Just simply epic

NordRek
04-24-2014, 09:16 AM
****ing epic map..great..!!

kazik126p
04-24-2014, 10:53 AM
That is amazing! Quick question for you: what pattern did you use to make the horizontal "waves" all around the map's coast? I have been trying to find a tutorial on making those, but I can't find one...