PDA

View Full Version : June 2011 Challenge Entry - Golem Heights

Ascension
06-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Not many entries this month so I thought I'd jump in and muck about for a few days and see what happens. A desert town with wizards who animate golems out of the plateau that they live on; pretty simple.

### Latest WIP ###

Djekspek
06-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Good thing you're also joining the fun again! Already looking good. So, who's gonne battle who? cheers, DJ

Ascension
06-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Here's my update. Got some more dock bits to do, not much just making the architecture work properly with the bridge. Need to polish up the shadows for the walls and bridge (it's starts at the river bank and goes up to the plateau supported by arches over the river, looking sort of like an aqueduct). Then I need to figure out how I want to do sand dunes and then start putting little army dudes down.

### Latest WIP ###

Sapiento
06-27-2011, 02:10 AM
Looks good. My only criticism: the black outline of the structures seems to clash with the rest natural features of the map.

ravells
06-27-2011, 02:35 AM
Looks fab. I really like the powder green grass effect and the cracked mud texture. The river texture too....actually, all the textures!

Ramah
06-27-2011, 07:04 AM
Looking beautiful. This is gonna be a stunner. :)

Jaxilon
06-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeah this is looking really sharp Ascension. I'm excited to see the next stage.

Ascension
06-27-2011, 04:15 PM
I hear ya Sap, I'm always torn between the realism and the artsy stuff so I always end up with this hybrid thing. I have half a mind to just go full-on hand-drawn and scrap the realism but I don't have much time left.

Sapiento
06-28-2011, 02:14 AM
I hear ya Sap, I'm always torn between the realism and the artsy stuff so I always end up with this hybrid thing. I have half a mind to just go full-on hand-drawn and scrap the realism but I don't have much time left.

Nevertheless a very good looking map so far! I'm eager to see how you make the battle itself.

arsheesh
06-30-2011, 01:40 PM
This looks terrific so far A, but then I'd expect nothing less from you my friend. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

eViLe_eAgLe
07-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Wow, I love that wall.. Any tips on how to do something like that? Ill be getting my first tablet soon too.
Also, I must say this is bloody brilliant Ascension!

Ascension
07-02-2011, 11:28 PM
The wall I used the pencil tool, 19 pixel hard round, and used the mouse to draw a wall-like thing in black. I then put on a black n white checkerboard pattern overlay, color overlay, brown stroke, and brown drop shadow. Set the fill to zero and reduced opacity of the pattern and color overlays. I couldn't use a stone or blocks pattern as it would have been too small. I made a selection of the wall exterior, made it a path, new layer, then stroked the path with a square hard pencil with like 200% spacing with angle jitter set to direction. Then I erased the bits sticking out beyond the wall and gave the battlements the same layer styles but smaller drop shadow.