PDA

View Full Version : Heya

jonthysell
06-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Somehow or another all of my map related Google searches lead me back here, so figured it's time for an account.

I used to tabletop game when I was younger, and found I had more fun world-building (and map making). Don't pen n' paper anymore (mostly video games, I work at Xbox) but I do write often enough. My most recent project (childrens animal fantasy) is starting to cover more in-world geography than I can keep consistent in my head.

Anyway, once I found myself estimating the average overland movement of field mice (~ 5.6 km per day) I figured it was time to bust out some maps so I could have something more tangible to reference.

/jon

AlexTna
06-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Hello and welcome! I am a new member also, just joined yesterday. You will find that this community is the perfect place to start working on maps, the tutorials you can find here (most in pdf format) are really helpful, i just did 3 maps using various tutorials, so good luck and patience!

Rythal
06-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Welcome to the Guild!

Steel General
06-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Ascension
06-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Those field mice only move that far if there are no Little Bunny Foo Foo's around scoopin' 'em up n boppin' 'em on da head. Welcome aboard.

jbgibson
06-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Welcome, Jon. Are the mice the main denizens of the land? I've always enjoyed map scales in units of "days of horseback travel" and such. Mouse-leagues will be a delightful variation on that theme!

If you're already adept with the Gimp and Inkscape, there's beaucoups of tutorials here that'll lead you to a variety of styles. What sort of effect are you going for?

NeonKnight
07-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Welcome to the Guild!