PDA

View Full Version : June/July Challenge Entry: Junjul Isles

Jaxilon
06-28-2011, 12:02 PM
I was thinking about not doing this so I'm going to force myself to put this up in the hopes that I will find the time and energy to complete it. Depending on workload I may be able to get into it. I have ideas yet for this including and not limited to tossing the entire entry out the window and starting over but here goes.

The Junjul Isles (I know, creative isn't it? hehe)

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
06-28-2011, 05:22 PM
I like the colors but I think it could stand to be "smoothed out" some. It looks very texturey or choppy or something, words escape my brain at the moment. I know that you've been doing this style for a while now, and I can dig the experimental side of things, but I think something smoother might be even more cool. But, you know, it's your baby so whatever, shrug. :)

Jaxilon
06-28-2011, 07:03 PM
I totally agree, I got home early and have been fiddling around with it for a bit. I most want to do something about the jittery shorelines I ended up with. I should have an update here in a bit.

And thank you for your honest input, I'm interested in taking this as far as it can go and like you said, I've been doing this for a while now and I'm starting to run out of ideas on what to tweak next. Ideally I would like to have 3-5 images using this style for my portfolio so I show that I can reproduce the look and then I'll probably move on to something different until someone requests the style again.

Jaxilon
06-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Some updates, mostly messing with things I haven't used before and some hand work on the mountains.

To Do List
1. something with the Ocean.
2. compass rose
3. Map border (probably try out Arshesh's new tutorial
4. locations on the map.
5. I would like to do some illustrations for some of the locations but I'm not sure how I'd incorporate that yet.
6. Other ?

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
06-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Not much time today but I added some forested areas and adjusted some layers as well as coloring. On the leftmost upper island - the straight line in the mountain side is the entrance to a Dwarven civilization. I may add some township down near the shore for shipping and trade. I still have much to do but this next week is going to be a killer for me so we'll have to see how far I can get.

### Latest WIP ###

AlexTna
06-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Sea-faring dwarves...hmm, could become my second favorite race after dwarves :). Anyway I love the way you "painted" the sea, with no zoom it really kind of seems like watercolour! Nice job!

Jaxilon
06-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks. Hehe, it seems Sea-faring dwarves are a theme of mine : Dwarf-Fortress-Aquatic (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?11024-Dwarf-Fortress-Aquatic). I have been thinking about including this somehow in a side image or something but we'll see.

waldronate
06-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Seafaring dwarves. The mass-to-volume ratio strongly suggests that they'll be spending a whole lot of time running along the bottom with their little cheeks bulging with that last breath of air...

Master TMO
07-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Nah. They'd just be the only race to invent flotation vests during the Stone Age.

Jaxilon
07-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Added some labels. I also sketched out a side view of the entry chambers to the Dwarf city of Dharvos and some of you may recognize the ship from a previous entry of mine. If not you can see the link mentioned above to the Dwarven Aquatic Fortress. This is the story of those seven ships.

I've struggled a bit with putting the illustrations down on here and I'm still not entirely certain I'm happy with my format. At first I created a separate pane for the illustrations but I scraped that. I've not put pictures on top of my map before so I figured I needed to try.

The Side view image is actually very reduced from it's original. I could post that if anyone is interested in seeing it full size.

Still to do - Compass rose and scale.

edit: text corrections

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
07-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Added a compass rose and my wife said the entry chambers should be moved lower so it could be larger.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
07-05-2011, 03:52 AM
Not a lot changed here, some tweakage to the compass rose to add a little depth.

Big shout to Arsheesh for his excellent border creation tutorial! The border is result of following his tutorial as closely as I could. It worked like a charm and I can't wait to experiment.

I did find one typo on page 2 "..with a starting canvas size of 1080x1800px (which will then.." should be 1080x1080 I believe.
Also for some reason I had a one pixel gap along the top edge of the bottom gold line in "Gold Top". I just cut the gold line and the layers beneath it and pasted them up one pixel to fix it. I may have been off in my math or something but I'll keep an eye on it.

I still have to create the scale but that's not a big deal and I'm tired so I'm going to bed. I should be able to get back to this Wednesday for any final touches I can get to.

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
07-05-2011, 03:13 PM
This is looking magnificent, Jax!!!

arsheesh
07-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Hey thanks for pointing out the typo Jax, I plan on going back and editing the tut here in the near future so I appreciate you pointing this out. As for the map, it's looking really nice! I particularly like the zoom in image with it's stylized cross hatching. I also really like the compass rose, but it seems to me that given the heavy grunge (and hatching) style of your map, the compass would look more at home in the map were it likewise grungy. Either way though, it's looking mighty fine man!

EDIT: just took another look at the compass and it looks fine.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Jaxilon
07-07-2011, 02:33 AM
Thanks guys for the encouragement.

When does this thing end, the 10th or the 15th? I think last time it came up quicker than I was used to. I just want to know so I can think about what to do next and how much I have time for.

ravells
07-07-2011, 06:16 AM
It could be anywhere between 10th and 15th (or possibly even after 15th). Just depends on which one of us has time to close the threads and do the voting poll.

Jaxilon
07-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Added some rivers, tweaked the coloring on the compass (I think I like this a little better), Added a Mine entrance to the Northernmost Island and added a cavern lair entrance on the southern island. Also modified the frame border to look like it has some depth.

I think I'm about finished on this (which is good because the 10th is in a few hours and that could be the end). If anything catches your eye that perhaps I should give attention to, I thank you in advance for pointing it out.

### Latest WIP ###

Gallifreyan
07-10-2011, 09:33 PM
It looks great. I think the new colors for the compass are much better.

rdanhenry
07-11-2011, 08:32 PM
1st paragraph: Extraneous apostrophe in "god's".

Jaxilon
07-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Wow, thank you for catching that rdanhenry - most excellent of you.

Corrected god's.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
07-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Added some Villages and roads to the settled areas.

### Latest WIP ###

RecklessEnthusiasm
07-14-2011, 01:45 AM
I love this style, Jax! Keep it up!

Jaxilon
07-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks RE!

Lightened up the trees again as I think it was a bit too dark in coloring. Looked more like a Pine tree forest the way it was.

### Latest WIP ###