PDA

View Full Version : RPG Fantasy Map Concept

Vokell
07-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Hello everyone.

I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I come here today for advice from those willing to give it for a map I am making. This map is going to eventually become a place that friends and I will use for stories and possible RPGs. I started out sketching a few concept worlds first, I won't post all of those, I'll just show you the one that I settled on:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36861&d=1309802199

From there I drew the outline of the world on a larger piece of paper and then scanned it on to my computer. Using Photoshop CS2 I played around with colors and eventually settled on an old world look. Then came the hard part, mountains and forests. As you will see I eventually came up with something for both, I used a tutorial from this site the make the forests I believe. Here is the current state of the map with some the nations on it already shown:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36860&d=1309802184
(**Sorry for the slight blur, the quality went down when resizing it for the web**)

The mountains are okay, but not great in my opinion, they don't really show the scale I was going for. The world, a continent in a world really, is supposed to be around the same size as North America and it's not really feeling like that with the current state of the mountains. The forests might not even be needed for something of that size either, but I may be willing to scale the size down to something more manageable since it does look good with forests.

I am hoping it is possible to get some tips and help with the mountains, I would like to see them be not so symmetrical and similar. I would also welcome any other comments and suggestions anyone has. Thanks!

P.S. I don't remember where I got the compass from, it's been on my hard drive for a long time.

Valtharius
07-04-2011, 04:32 PM
I like the map! The shape of the continents, the colors used, the names. Great job! Only thing I would like to see is a larger map size so i can see the finer details.

~Val

Vokell
07-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Thank you Valtharius for your kind words. I've uploaded the original size of the map in to my gallery now, plus I will post it here as well:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36890&d=1309841119

Hopefully the details of the map look as good up close to you.

jfrazierjr
07-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Vokell, you should actually attach the larger image using the thumb-nailer instead. For one, the larger shows much more detail, for another, page loads are faster with small thumbnail images than full size ones.

Anyway, overall, I think it's really pretty cool. Are you planning on adding more to this such as roads, cities/towns, etc or is this the final?

bartmoss
07-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Okay, I am the color blind dude here, that map looks really, really pink to me :-( The ocean, anyway; the land has kind of a sand color.

Surely that ocean is not really pinK?

Ghostman
07-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Doesn't look pink at all to me. It's either your eyes or your PC screen messing with the colors.

Vokell
07-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Here is the map attached using the thumb-nailer:

This is not the final version yet, I do plan on adding major cities and maybe major roads. Also I plan on adding names to various landmarks as well, like island names, mountain ranges and the bodies of water. As you can probably see there isn't even a name for the whole place yet.

Bartmoss, the oceans are not pink, they are more like a light grey with a slight texture to give it a wavy look.

jfrazierjr
07-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Cool.. do you plan to add any color to it, such as a very slight green for the forests or leave colors as is? I am not real sure I can visualize in my head if I think it would look better or worse with a bit of color...

Vokell
07-06-2011, 02:35 PM
An interesting idea, here is what it would look like with the green color I chose:

Doesn't look too bad in my opinion, maybe I should try something similar with the mountains.

jfrazierjr
07-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Yea.. looks pretty good.. just a dash of color. I kind of like the mountains the way they are(though a bit more variety in brushes would not hurt), so if you do color the mountains, I would think a nice pastelish color would probably keep them from being overwhelming...

Opps... looks like your first post noted about wanting to change the mountains anyway...I think as a whole they are fine, at least in the scale of the above attachment. The big version in your gallery... that's another story. Anyway.. keep it up... nice work going on here.

bartmoss
07-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Doesn't look pink at all to me. It's either your eyes or your PC screen messing with the colors.

Oh, definitely my eyes ;)

tilt
07-07-2011, 10:57 AM
looking good - yes, as you yourself have mentioned, the mountains could use a bit more variance - and one other thing that springs to mind is that the forest, although looking better now its green, is missing some shading which is making them insignificant looking in comparison to the mountains :) ... looking forward to seing more :)

Vokell
07-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Just a quick picture-less update. I've started redrawing the mountains by hand using a Wacom Tablet, I'll post the 'finished product' when I'm finished.

jbgibson
07-09-2011, 10:17 PM
This is already looking quite effective, Vokell. When you place your new mountains, try varying their alignment more. See north and west of Sylvandias where you get what looks like NW to SE lines, as the NE sides of your mountain symbols line up?

Jaxilon
07-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Looking good. I like the green tinge on the forests as well.

You do know you are asking for the River Police to question you about that lake draining towards the Sea and splitting into three branches before it arrives, yes?

Redrobes
07-14-2011, 08:27 PM
I like the map and think the green adds to it. Of all of it the coast is really nice but I am less keen on the mountains. I think this is because Im just not a fan of top down maps with side on mountains (any kind of terrain details side on). With the trees it kind of works because there are so many it just looks textured but where the mountains are big icons then it looks odd to me. There are other types of line art mountain representations which I think look better in this sort of map. I think Djekspek has posted some but I cant recall exactly where I saw them now. But generally, I like it.

cantab
07-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Well I'm going to say I think the lake and river are alright. The bay the river drains into will likely have low tides (assuming the world has a moon to create them in the first place), making conditions good for delta formation rather than an estuary. Set against that that the river won't carry much silt (because most will get dropped in the bottom of the lake) - except perhaps in spring floods when snowmelt from the mountains raises the lake level - and I think the depicted "mini-delta", with its land forested, may be reasonable.

(In this argument I'm assuming that the lake surface is at a relatively low altitude above sea level, so the river flowing out is fairly gently flowing. Of course that may not be your intention.)

Vokell
07-15-2011, 03:44 PM
To tell the truth, the river has begun to feel out of place to me. When I first put it in I did so with a delta because I thought it looked cool, that and I thought that most rivers have deltas. I'm not even sure if I want the lake to be fresh water yet or not, it is large enough to actually be more of an inland sea anyways.

Unfortunately for you Redrobes I am doing mountains in the same style, however since I'm doing them all by hand they will have more varying details on each mountain. It is taking me some time however, real life can be busy at times, but I hope to get it done soon so that I can show everyone.