PDA

View Full Version : Possible freelance gig with Paizo...

Gamerprinter
07-07-2011, 05:22 AM
Nothing definite yet, but I've been invited/recommended to possibly design the capital city for Paizo's upcoming Jade Regent adventure path - Paizo's oriental setting. If I get this, it will be more than designing a map though, I'd be expected to write the gazetteer for that city. It would be used in the final adventure of their AP. Nobody has ever accused me of being a writer, however! :P

This is not something I've been working toward, just an opportunity that fell in my lap, today.

While it kind of competes with Kaidan, it would be good experience in designing my own imperial capital, plus get my name as a developer/cartographer having worked for the big boys - giving me better credentials to promote my own Kaidan setting and other future products.

Wonders never cease (geekgasm!)

GP

tilt
07-07-2011, 07:15 AM
congrats on that opportunity GP, sounds exiting :)

ravells
07-07-2011, 07:16 AM
Sounds great indeed! Congrats!

Steel General
07-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Neat Stuff! Here's hoping it all works out for you...

Jaxilon
07-07-2011, 09:04 PM
That is exciting for you. I hope everything works out the way you want it to.

Diamond
07-08-2011, 02:35 AM
Woohoo!! I'll be rooting for ya!

Midgardsormr
07-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Regarding competing with yourself, why don't you ask them if you can have an ad for Kaidan in the back of the book as part of your compensation?

rdanhenry
07-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Good luck with that. Sounds like a great opportunity for you.

Gamerprinter
07-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Its looking more likely. Though at present the cartography requirement is only sketch level, but then I create finals from the start, so we'll see how that goes. And my direction and choices made in creating the gazetteer (with Paizo feedback, of course) will direct the play of the campaign for the final adventures of the Jade Regent AP...

GP

Qwilion
07-11-2011, 03:23 PM
First let me say congratulations,

Second, if they have not signed you to the gig you should not be talking about who your going to be working for publicly unless they you have been given permission, if Paizo hires you they will want to put you under a Non-Disclosure Agreement.

The most I would ever say publicly is that as a major publisher has become interested in you because of your knowledge of the specific genre of setting material they want you to work with.

Again congratulations.

That's just my two cents.

Gamerprinter
07-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Well, I have signed and submitted my NDA - so I am done talking about it. I will say... this is gonna be fun!

GP

Jaxilon
07-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Quick get some sleep...store it up in your hump!

LOL, that's what I always say anyway.

Gamerprinter
07-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Too bad I can't show it, but the city map I've hand-drawn so far, with the number of buildings placed could support a population of 100,000 people. I have yet to create the palace/fortress (what comes next), but this is a huge city - worth seeing. When I'm finished I'll have to ask Paizo if I could show it (maybe not you never know...) Basically only two days drawing so far. I didn't think I'd be able to detail such a huge city, but it was 'easier' than I thought.

GP

Gamerprinter
12-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Well Paizo told me that Pathfinder #54 The Empty Throne - the 6th and final part of the Jade Regent adventure path has been sent off to the printers. I will be getting that adventure book (and paid) for my contributions in the city of Kasai map design, as well as the written parts of the gazatteer I created sometime early next year. I did the writing part as shared work with Frank Carr - but the map was my main job. Wes Schneider, the managing editor of Paizo has said, there should be more freelance work for me in the near future... fingers crossed!

GP

torstan
12-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Congrats! That's great news.

tilt
12-15-2011, 05:06 AM
congratulations GP, thats great - I hope you get to show us your work :)

Lukc
12-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Congratulations GP! Here's hoping for more gigs for you. :)

Sapiento
12-15-2011, 08:31 AM
Great! I hope we can see the result in some form.

Gamerprinter
12-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks, guys! Woot - I got my commission check today. Paizo said, we wouldn't be paid until 1 month after product release. Since the release won't be until February, my assumption was that I'd be paid some time in March. Well, I'm glad to be wrong - I got my check this morning. One thing to note, when I originally took on this commission from Paizo, there was a pre-determined amount of money we'd be paid. Once I sent my initial trials of what the final map would look like, Paizo increased the pay by $100.00 based on the quality of the map alone. It's always nice when the publishers want to pay more than they said, and sooner than they said!!!

GP

Studpuffin
12-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Congrats! It's good to see some other Paizo folks doing well! :)

Patrakis
01-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Consider me impressed.

Congratulation !

Pat

Gamerprinter
02-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Well, the sixth and final adventure of the Jade Regent adventure path will be released on February 22 - after which I'll post my version of the city of Kasai map, so you all can see it in it's full glory.

In the meantime, here's the product release text on what's included, and I see my name is with Frank Carr as writers of the Gazatteer for this adventure... yay!

Chapter 6: "The Empty Throne"
by Neil Spicer

Revolution brews in the empire of Minkai as the people take up arms to throw off the yoke of their unnatural oni masters. With the populace rising, the heroes lay siege to the capital of the empire, the ancient city of Kasai. There, they must discover the secrets of emperors past and seek the aid of ageless beings, gathering all the allies they can for a final assault on the bastion of the murderous Jade Regent. Will the heroes and their companions be able to bring an end to the warlord’s tyranny? Or will Minkai remain locked in the grip of true evil? Confront the powers of destiny and shape the fate of a nation in this, the exciting final chapter of the Jade Regent Adventure Path.
This volume of Pathfinder Adventure Path includes:
•“The Empty Throne,” a Pathfinder RPG adventure for 13th-level characters, by Neil Spicer.
•A gazetteer of the city of Kasai, capital of the mysterious nation of Minkai, by Frank Carr and Michael Tumey.
•Plots and high-level threats to continue your Jade Regent campaign, by Patrick Renie.
•Deceit and revelation in the Pathfinder’s Journal, by Dave Gross.
•Four new monsters, by Jesse Benner, Tork Shaw, and Owen K.C. Stephens.

This is so cool, I can't wait to get my copy in the mail, soon!

GP

Jaxilon
02-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Wow, congrats GP, this has gone quite nicely.

AlanShutko
02-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Well, the sixth and final adventure of the Jade Regent adventure path will be released on February 22 - after which I'll post my version of the city of Kasai map, so you all can see it in it's full glory.

The PDF came out today... I can't wait to see the print version!