PDA

View Full Version : June/July Lite Challenge Entry : The Lost Valley

bartmoss
07-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Let's see if I can do any kind of meaningful mapping in the eight days I have left. I'll start out with a rough prototype of what I want to map:

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
07-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Interesting start...looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

bartmoss
07-07-2011, 04:41 PM
First quick WIP: Elevations, Part 1.

### Latest WIP ###

Is the contrast okay, can you guys still recognize the shape? It looks fine to me, but my color perception isn't normal as you know...

Master TMO
07-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Random thought - since it's fairly well-known about your color perception, have you thought about just doing the map in black & white?

bartmoss
07-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Random thought - since it's fairly well-known about your color perception, have you thought about just doing the map in black & white?

I can see colors, it's just that I know it's not the same way other people do. Just need some feedback on borderline cases. The more I do that, the better I can judge how others will see what I see. Yah I could just go b/w but then I'd limit myself more than my disability warrants, and that sounds a tad counterproductive :-)

Master TMO
07-07-2011, 05:18 PM
I can see colors, it's just that I know it's not the same way other people do. Just need some feedback on borderline cases. The more I do that, the better I can judge how others will see what I see. Yah I could just go b/w but then I'd limit myself more than my disability warrants, and that sounds a tad counterproductive :-)

Makes sense. A good friend of mine is also colorblind, although non-typically so. In your pic, the source image is not visible to me in the thumbnail. I can see it in the full image, although mostly because I was looking for it. If you want it to be instantly visible, then you'll need to increase the contrast between it and the next color out. If you were wanting it to be a 'subtle, not obvious unless you're looking for it' thing, then it works on me.

bartmoss
07-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Better elevations.

### Latest WIP ###

bartmoss
07-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Makes sense. A good friend of mine is also colorblind, although non-typically so. In your pic, the source image is not visible to me in the thumbnail. I can see it in the full image, although mostly because I was looking for it. If you want it to be instantly visible, then you'll need to increase the contrast between it and the next color out. If you were wanting it to be a 'subtle, not obvious unless you're looking for it' thing, then it works on me.

Thanks. I think then it's fine for now, I'll revisit it when I've done the elevations properly.

bartmoss
07-08-2011, 01:21 AM
Minor update.

### Latest WIP ###

bartmoss
07-08-2011, 03:24 AM
Is the thumbnail script ignoring me? ;-)

Master TMO
07-08-2011, 09:55 AM
The thumbnail script is spotty in when it works or not. If it's not working at vote time they'll add the thumbnails manually to the voting thread.

bartmoss
07-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Yeah mine showed up in the meantime - thanks for your feedback tho :)

jfrazierjr
07-08-2011, 11:18 AM
I added it for you... for some reason, 3 of the entries were not being found by the script, so I had to add to them manually(mine being one also).

Map Vandal
07-08-2011, 12:15 PM
I really like what you have going here. I would recommend adding two rivers/streams coming out of the two valleys that lead to the mountains to the east. Snow melt and rain would logically gather in those valleys and flow into your river system.

bartmoss
07-08-2011, 02:19 PM
I added it for you... for some reason, 3 of the entries were not being found by the script, so I had to add to them manually(mine being one also).

Ah, thank you.

I really like what you have going here. I would recommend adding two rivers/streams coming out of the two valleys that lead to the mountains to the east. Snow melt and rain would logically gather in those valleys and flow into your river system.

Thanks. Yeah, probably need more rivers than I have now. I'll have to see how crowded it gets. The current river system is just a quick & dirty doodle, of course.

### Latest WIP ###

Added an intermediate elevation layer.

bartmoss
07-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Added 2nd intermediate elevation layer. Need to add one last of those, the glacier, the volcanoes, rivers, vegetation, settlements etc - should be done tonight or tomorrow.

### Latest WIP ###

bartmoss
07-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Okay, this is gonna be the last WIP for the day. As you can see I added many things, and should be able to finish this map off tomorrow.

### Latest WIP ###

bartmoss
07-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Little progress, due to being tired.

### Latest WIP ###

bartmoss
07-10-2011, 07:06 AM
A few more minor changes. The map is too crowded, so I will probably not put in any forest etc. I may still touch it in the next few days, or I may leave it like this. As the mood strikes me. But I am fairly happy with this map - especially since I know it can easily save a real purpose for example in someone's role playing game. And to me that is quite important too.

### Latest WIP ###

flocko
07-15-2011, 03:52 AM
I really like what you have here! I also think this was a clever way to use the required shape. However, your font choices really detract from the the overall quality of this map for me.

bartmoss
07-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks for your feedback! Sorry you don't like the font. I picked it because it's clean and yet has a hint of hand-drawn lettering. I didn't want anything too grungy on the map, since I felt that it is fairly cluttered already.