PDA

View Full Version : -~@ July 2011 Challenge - All About The Big Boys @~-

Ascension
07-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Ok, this one is simple, given that it has taken us some time to get it posted - take the image below and do what you will with it. Those of you with very keen eyes will notice that it looks very similar to the same image posted for the Lite Challenge. Well, it is the exact same...so there. We thought, let's see what the Big Boys can do with the same starting place. This is your chance to show the Young Pups how it's done so don't disappoint us. If you entered the Lite Challenge then you cannot enter this one as it gives you the chance to make two maps out of the same thing. If you would like to pull out of the Lite Challenge and enter this one then we'll have to discuss that :P

Master TMO
07-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Curses! My eevil plot to lose 2 Challenges in a row and then clean up in the betting pools by utterly sweeping the third one is foiled!

And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling site admins!

Jaxilon
07-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Hah...not sure what to think about this. I feel like I'm being forced to take a break since I won't be able to join this one. I might be forced to get cracking on that simmering idea that's on the back burner of my mind.

eViLe_eAgLe
07-08-2011, 03:17 AM
Pshhh.. You oldies :P

Yandor
07-08-2011, 04:22 AM
haha i love it, so can we add to it? like more blackness or connecting them etc etc? or does it have to retain its shape?

Ascension
07-08-2011, 08:26 AM
You can add shapes, no big deal. Just as long as these shapes are there in the form presented (no cutting the shapes up and moving them around).

bartmoss
07-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Was my rotating the shapes in the Lite challenge okay? I wanted my valley to run north-south.

Steel General
07-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Maybe, just maybe I can take a crack at this. I feel a ever-so-very slight ripple in the creative juices...

Jaxilon
07-08-2011, 10:53 AM
@bartmoss - You are fine. The main thing is that the overall shape they provided us with has to be visible. As long as they are still in their relative positions you are good.

LonewandererD
07-08-2011, 12:11 PM
This actually reminded me of an idea that I had dancing in the back of my mind for a while. Need to actually finish a map for this comp, some of us young whippersnappers need to step forward to reclaim the playing field from you big kids...

-D-

Yandor
07-08-2011, 01:27 PM
So just to be on the safe side, I did this super super quick, but this was the idea I had in mind to "change" the shapes up... will something like this be allowed then??

I outlined the original in red

Ascension
07-08-2011, 04:45 PM
If you were making a political map then the shapes would be there and easy to see so yes, it would be okay.

I was hoping this might stir you to action, bro. Been a long time.

Yandor
07-08-2011, 04:58 PM
hmm well poop, its not a political map... Well I'll post what I got, if its a no go then I'll fix it, but I'll wait for a verdict

Gamerprinter
07-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Well of course these days, I have very little time for challenges - heck, I have very little time for sleep... :o

My first thought in looking at the shapes is seeing it as negative space, as in lakes, or even a straight between two continents with lakes surrounding and an unplaced ocean or sea above and below it. I'd probably go that route, if I wanted to have no sleep at all and get involved. Unlikely, though.

Speaking of which, I think I'll go take a nap - having had about 8 hours sleep in the last 3 days...

GP

Ascension
07-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Uhhhm, ok then. Our loss I guess.

Gamerprinter
07-08-2011, 09:09 PM
No, the loss is all mine. Just sayin'. I wish I had the time to participate, but I never do any more - it sucks. I love the challenges... (I've participated in nearly 30 I'd say since I started here.)

See like right now, I'm behind schedule to create commercial maps, I've got probably six I need to create this week. While I love to map, when it's got to done and you're behind - it becomes work, and 'less fun'. Its hard for me to map for fun, when I have this nagging feeling I need to do other maps first, which inhibits my creativity. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that I get to create maps and earn some income, sort of 'playing D&D all week long in my head, while I map and get paid for it'. But I miss the challenges.

On top of that, I am writing the mechanics for 30 Ancestral Relics, a kind of 'weapons of legacy' type of magic item. I've got 15 done, and 15 to go. Then I have to make an intro, creation rules, tables, and I've illustrated 10 objects so far. Which according to Steve is more than enough, but I think every item deserves its own illustration. The book is intended as PDF only, so I have no page count limitation due to print costs. After that I have to do page layout.

Plus the other writer, Jonathan McAnulty is writing other supplements for Kaidan, with my interjection, and I have to do their page layouts and spot illlustrations when they are edited and ready - on a required deadline for layout and release schedule.

Its a dream job, being a self working D&D (Pathfinder) pubisher, writer, designer, developer, cartographer, and layout artist (and artist).

I have still a full time graphics shop to run in the day time.

It eats up all my time. I love what I do, but it keeps me away from the other thing I love to do - participating in CG challenges.

So it's my loss.

GP

anonymousfromyou
07-09-2011, 03:54 AM
I am a little confused on the objective of this challenge. Is this a free-for-all image? we can do whatever we want even if it has nothing to do with maps?
Thanks

Gamerprinter
07-09-2011, 04:33 AM
It's always a map challenge. Take what you see in the image as inspiration for some kind of map and create it. Maybe its a deserted island a pirate has been exiled with headhunters on the one of the other islands, or the site of ancient lost civilization now overgrown in jungle, maybe its a starport for an intergalactic vacation spot for a water world experience. Or as I thought, use the black shapes as water with land surrounding it, or adding in a sea on north and southern edge connecting them. Use the image to inspire your own idea of what those black shapes mean to you as a map.

GP

anonymousfromyou
07-09-2011, 04:38 AM
Thanks,

I sort of created a map.. Yeah, its a map. Just in space. It was too good for earth.

Steel General
07-09-2011, 07:34 AM
If its a map (even a map of space) and the shapes are recognizable you should be good.

MrBenn
07-27-2011, 04:08 AM
I was just beginning to gear myself up ready to have a go at something, but then realised I may have left it a little bit late. If the closing date is 4 days before the end of the month, that's today, right? Oh well...