PDA

View Full Version : July 2011 Challenge Entry: Shores of Sarric

Yandor
07-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Well I was plugging away at this waiting to here if my idea would be ok or not, seeing as its borderline (more on the no then yes) I'll post where I'm at. If this however isn't good enough (showing the original image) then I'll fix it up but until then let me know!

LonewandererD
07-09-2011, 05:08 AM
Liking what I see so far Yandor :)

-D-

Ascension
07-09-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm not sure if we can allow the shapes to be blended into another shape (like into the ocean here thus losing the shape). I'm 50/50 on it and will let consensus rule.

ravells
07-09-2011, 05:21 PM
I think the original shapes should be recognisable....but I'm happy for it to ahead and let the voters decide whether it is.

Yandor
07-11-2011, 01:08 AM
Well I made a bit more progress, I was waiting to hear for some responses (so thanks Ascension and Ravells) I guess I tried to make the original shapes more "noticeable". So what I did, was made the "Shallow Water" more prominent where the shape was, and also the seafloor cracks are the shape just set at different angles, I think thats considered cheating but does it pass now?? =P

haha well anyways its progress, and I guess the thumbnail doesn't like me... oh well! Anyways opinions?

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
07-11-2011, 07:17 AM
I think it more than passes now. A great idea to break the shape up into different elevations but still be noticeable. I may have to steal that idea since it's the best one so far.

Jaxilon
07-11-2011, 09:57 AM
That's great Yandor!

Yandor
07-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the complements everyone, and I've made some more progress, I lost the idea of what I wanted to do with this map, so I'm kind of just toying with stuff, let me know what you think! This might be close to being the final depending on if I want to change anything or run across some more ideas.

ps I don't know of the border really fits with this map...\

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
07-17-2011, 10:08 PM
I think just a color overlay of something different that has the end result of being subtle. What that color might be is hard to say but I'd start with the browns or tans slightly on the red or orange side. Maybe a pale purple, shrug. I dunno, I'd have to play with it.

vman3force
07-20-2011, 09:57 PM
i like the colors, however the water feels like it is above the ground somehow... almost like a plateau or something.

it might help to make the water actually blue in tint - this would make the eye push it back. cool colors tend to do that.

Yandor
07-23-2011, 03:29 AM
vman thanks for suggestion and if I can get more time I'll see if I can adjust it.

Anyways here is an update, I've done a ton of things, and probably will be the final set up, some minor tweaks here and there but yeah this should be it. Well let me know what you think. I fixed the border, added some more elements, and fixed the Banner.

### Latest WIP ###

Sapiento
07-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Beautiful map!

Ascension
07-23-2011, 01:12 PM
My eyes keep wanting to put a medium or light brown stroke around the coast. The title should be curved to fit the bend of the banner. Pretty, though.

Yandor
07-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Ascension - Do you mean have a stroke, like the lighter one I have, the light doulbe stroke? or another one added to it (or replaces it), that separates the land and ocean? But thanks of the comments, and I'll see what I can do!

Ascension
07-23-2011, 05:09 PM
I see two pale pink strokes on the pinky-purple sea. My mind wants more separation because everything is so light. I'm a big fan of subtle but I hit my limit here. :) Nothing wrong with what you have at all, mind you, just me. I keep wanting that standard brown stroke to separate things. It may look like total crap so maybe a bluey-purple stroke...I dunno. OR keep it as is since you're the only one who really has to like it. :)

Yandor
07-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Alright found a little more time to plug into this. I took all of your suggestions and thank you! Vman, I played with it a bunch, and well couldn't really get an overall good result (some decent ones) but I'll post the one I ended up liking (adjusting the ocean) and the normal one from the previous versions.

Thanks Ascension of the tips and it does help out a lot more!

First image is normal
Second image is the adjusted ocean

### Latest WIP ###

Diamond
07-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Awesome work as usual, Yandor.

arsheesh
07-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Nice work Yandor. I like how you've used quotations as flavor text to mark the various places on the map.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

rdanhenry
07-29-2011, 03:10 PM
"The Great Stars" text has an erroneous apostrophe in "God's".