PDA

View Full Version : Shared Worlds?

magicalbookworm
07-10-2011, 09:39 PM
I've noticed that this board has a shared world, but it looks very over populated with people working on it. Is there more the one world on that board? Or just one everyone works on?

I thought about started a shared world - I love world building and it's always a lot more fun when there's a group. But I don't want to step on anyone's toes if there's an active one here on the boards.

vman3force
07-10-2011, 10:10 PM
i have no idea but id be interested in getting on on something like that.

magicalbookworm
07-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Cool, if another shared world is started. it could be done outside this forum. so not to interfer with the one that this site has.

Ascension
07-10-2011, 11:25 PM
If you're talking about the Community World-Building Project (CWBP) then that's just a bunch of maps for a world that was created. We all mapped out various sections and towns and stuff like that. There are probably many towns and villages left to be finished or even started. I'm not real up to snuff on what's to be done and whatnot so drop a post in that thread and those more familiar with it will be able to help you. I know some of the guys are currently running a D&D campaign in this world.

If you're talking about the guild-sponsored adventure that we're planning on putting out for Pathfinder, well, that sort of stalled.

magicalbookworm
07-11-2011, 12:08 AM
I was leaning toward something that has all the back information of the world, yes maps and cities and things like that, but what creatures, magic, people etc this world has. Which may lean more toward a writing group vs a map group, but I thought I'd ask here :D

vman3force
07-11-2011, 12:17 AM
im sure theres plenty of overlap of interest within the guild for that sort of project.

if you think you'd want to start one up you could probably requit enough people to do so. Ive run a couple of open ended world building projects over on the wizards of the coast forums, and theyre always pretty fun.

magicalbookworm
07-11-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm hoping that there will be some overlap interested. :) I'm just wondering how many the group should have. Small group or a large group.

vman3force
07-11-2011, 06:43 PM
that would depend on the size of the project i suppose

magicalbookworm
07-11-2011, 07:30 PM
True, do you know of any other mapper or gaming sites that would be interested in something like this?

Master TMO
07-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I might be, but my strengths are all at the beginning, in coming up with the whole world outline. I haven't done much yet on a smaller scale, although it's on my list of things to do someday.

magicalbookworm
07-11-2011, 09:25 PM
I think creating a world from the start takes all sort of people that have differnet strenghts. A mapper could be able to help a lot more in how a world works before anyone else.

Master TMO
07-12-2011, 01:58 AM
I can commit to generating 3-5 potential world maps for a group to pick from, and then export slices and views as necessary for folks to start fleshing out. And I would probably also help work on smaller sections, but I won't guarantee anything just yet, since we're nowhere near that stage of development.

magicalbookworm
07-12-2011, 02:42 AM
Right, need at least a handful of people before anything is started.

vman3force
07-12-2011, 05:10 PM
you could try recuiting here, on the WoTC forums:

http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75882/136074/campaign_38;_adventure_workshop

Also, maybe Obsidian Portal? they provide campaign building wikis and so many people use it as a tool for writing out worlds - you could use that as the home for the project.

magicalbookworm
07-12-2011, 06:50 PM
I've never heard of Obsidian Portal. I'll drop by the wizards.com forum too!

bartmoss
07-12-2011, 06:58 PM
http://www.obsidianportal.com/

That said, the problem with shared world projects is that they usually die after an initial spurt of enthusiasm. You'll need to recruit a serious core of worldbuilders to keep it going past a few weeks/months.

magicalbookworm
07-12-2011, 07:30 PM
I put together a shared world about 6 years ago with a group of writers. It was fun, though I think only me and one other person took stories from the world. But that was all right. I do want to see if there is away to really continue with a shared world for a long period of time. That's why I've been looking into the RPG forums, seeing if there is a market there.

bartmoss
07-12-2011, 08:35 PM
I'd love to do a shared world some day. Maybe even turn some of my designs into shared worlds, using a set of loose rules for fiction similar to what they used for the Thieves' World anthologies.

I don't think there's much of a market for worlds. There's so many of them. Yeah you can probably sell some world books if you create something reasonably interesting, but you won't live from the proceeds. ;)

You need to come up with something different enough to sell it, and turly new unique ideas - or mixes of ideas, rather - are HARD because the market is so flooded.

That said, there's a market for related products - things that build on such a world, like fiction, game emodules, tv shows, whatever; and if they are successful the world suddenly becomes an IP. Big if, though.

magicalbookworm
07-12-2011, 09:14 PM
I really think most worlds do lean toward something like the Thieve's world and such. More of a writing background rather then anything else.
And it's getting to be very hard to design something differnet in a world that's never been seen before. I think that's where a group comes in, more than one person can come up with something cool.

magicalbookworm
07-13-2011, 06:34 PM
I have a website set up for this, 3 people strong so far. If anyone is sure they want to join, please send me a PM here and I'll send you a link

magicalbookworm
07-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Still room for a few more people :D

Undreamt
08-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Did this ever get off the ground?

Master TMO
08-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Yep. We've had a few hundred posts discussing histories, backgrounds, magic systems, biology, all the fun stuff. We had a map picked out, but I've put that on temporary hold waiting for FT3 to be released, since it may not be compatible with FTPro-beta maps, and I may have to start over from scratch. If you're interested in participating, I would contact magicalbookworm.

waldronate
08-11-2011, 12:19 PM
FT3 should be able to read maps from older versions.

Master TMO
08-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Good news!! Thanks! I'll get back to work on the map then.

Undreamt
08-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Yep. We've had a few hundred posts discussing histories, backgrounds, magic systems, biology, all the fun stuff. We had a map picked out, but I've put that on temporary hold waiting for FT3 to be released, since it may not be compatible with FTPro-beta maps, and I may have to start over from scratch. If you're interested in participating, I would contact magicalbookworm.

Oh, great! I'll probably do so after I finish the map I'm working on. Would'nt want to abandon either down the road.

magicalbookworm
08-18-2011, 06:21 PM
We're still looking for a few more people, if anyone is interested. It's been great fun and we have a ton of ideas going on. But we need some more people to create more ideas for this world!

Karsten Li
05-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Hey,
as I am only at me 3rd or so posting, I cannot send you a pm right now, but you can count me in, if you still need help with the world. I am very good at ideas, but sometimes lack the endurance to finish the ideas, when I get stuck somewhere on the line and have no one around to confer with about this or that. So this would probably be right the project I am looking for.

pm me, please. Greets. :)