PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit Pics

Redrobes
07-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Some pics of the dwarves from The Hobbit film being released. Now to me these look like concept art but they have accreditation as "Photo by..." and names the actors involved so I am guessing that they are the real deal...

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/movies/blogs/the-hitlist-blog.aspx?feat=2001455c-fe15-47c0-9c93-321e454c7f80

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-20110713111341600-000.jpg

But anyway, these make for great character reference pics.

Edit - someone has shopped them all together here:
http://i51.tinypic.com/v63zfk.jpg

Now that I come to look at all of them I notice the weapon choice... Mace, No Weapon, Sword, Spear, Axe, Sword, Bow, Mace, Hammer, Glaive. An odd set I would say.

jfrazierjr
07-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Now that I come to look at all of them I notice the weapon choice... Mace, No Weapon, Sword, Spear, Axe, Sword, Bow, Mace, Hammer, Glaive. An odd set I would say.

He has a weapon... A book and his mind!!!!:)

But i have to agree with your assessment that the Bow and Maces in particular seem "off" for Dwarves as i know them....

Midgardsormr
07-14-2011, 12:31 PM
The food would not last for ever; it was in fact already beginning to get low. They tried shooting at the squirrels, and they wasted many arrows before they managed to bring one down on the path.

So bows are specifically mentioned in the book (although the dwarves are evidently not skilled with them). The only other weapons they had that I can recall were Thorin's sword Orcrist, which was taken from the trolls' cave, and the axe he used during the Battle of Five Armies (the sword having been stolen by Thranduil). The other dwarves' weapons are implied among the provisions but never specifically described, so they could be anything at all.

ravells
07-14-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm salivating already!!!!!

tilt
07-14-2011, 01:25 PM
yep, been following this as well -also watched the two video diaries of Peter Jackson. Don't know how I feel about those slim dwarves - although why shouldn't there be? :) ... they're are done with shooting block 1 - and one of the facts that amazed me was they they have 254 shooting days for the two movies (Lord of the Rings had 255 for all three movies) ... I'm looking sooo much forward to this - especially since I'm reading the hobbit for my oldest (6) girl at the moment :)

Jaxilon
07-14-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm salivating already!!!!!

Ha! I never would have pegged you for a troll but if you are hungry for Hobbit meats I guess that settles it :)

tilt
07-14-2011, 05:01 PM
@jax : *lol*

ravells
07-14-2011, 06:31 PM
lolol! I head that hobbit leg is very nice, medium rare.

Redrobes
07-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Yes but you would have to pluck it first !!!

Ascension
07-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Any food that you have to shave isn't very good...unless yer a troll, of course.

LS-Jebus
07-15-2011, 12:45 AM
I like to see creative takes on creative works. I would be very disappointed if the dwarves were all rotund with shaggy beards, axes, and Scottish accents.

I love epic fantasy stories. The Hobbit isn't a story I know much about, but the film is written and directed by talented people. I would like to add another great fantasy film to my movie collection. I am picky, but I have faith.

Jaxilon
07-15-2011, 02:08 AM
whoa! You never read the Hobbit? How can you live? I think you might have to hit a library or something and read that. It's like the primer for fantasy.

Ascension
07-15-2011, 02:20 AM
I never did either. Guess that makes us the oddballs.

Diamond
07-15-2011, 03:21 AM
*shakes head in sorrow*

A fantasy cartographer that hasn't read The Hobbit? That's like... an English teacher that's illiterate. :D

tilt
07-15-2011, 03:58 AM
yep ... the hobbit was mine (as many others) introduction to fantasy - started playing D&D shortly after - thanks Peter (dad to my friends as I grew up) for introducing that to your kids and me :)

and by the way - after having the picture of the dwarves in my head for some days now, I'm getting rather satisfied with it - I like the diversity - it just had to sink in *lol*

ravells
07-15-2011, 08:11 AM
When I was about 6 years old, my older brother used to tell me stories from the Hobbit while we were washing the car. Been hooked ever since!

LS-Jebus
07-15-2011, 12:08 PM
I also never read Lord of the Rings. I think I am a strange person because I started writing high fantasy stories (and making maps) in the fourth grade before I had ever read one (or seen a fantasy map). Rather than starting on classics, I started on essentially nothing but general themes from fairy tales and fiction, and then added fantasy novels as a source of influence over time.

Though I've yet to produce something more than seven pages long... I am overcritical of my own work, and until this year I haven't been able to continue working on something after I decided it "sucked".

tilt
07-15-2011, 12:56 PM
I think that lord of the rings are great books, however fantasy has also evolved with the world and they are rather old by now. I love the movies and looking forward to watch the hobbit x 2 ... but I'm also glad to hear that Wheel of Time might get a shot, to hear that Mistborn is getting to the big screen and I enjoyed Game of Thrones very much.
These days I like the gritty fantasy but still enjoy the epic, black and white hat story now and then :)

@ls-jebus: one is often ones own worst critic (and if you're not, you might end up on SomeCountrysGotTalent having millions laugh at you) but its also important not to "dizz" your own work, cause if you don't believe in it - noone else will - so chin up and write that page number 8 ;)

Ascension
07-15-2011, 05:12 PM
My introduction to fantasy came before birth, my birth name was Valiant Prince Nailer as my mother was a big fan of the Prince Valiant comics in the newspaper. When I was adopted at 2 my name got changed but maybe that time sort of influenced me into the whole "knights in shining armor" thing but I don't really remember too much about that time except for the place I lived and flying on a plane with my grandparents. I never got into fantasy real deep until 14 and I saw the D&D books at the local hobby store where I was, at the time, into the RC car craze and tricking out my bike and skateboard to do those tricks like you see at X-games - mind you this was 1984 so wayyy before X-games. A few years later a friend gave me The Belgariad to read and that was first thing I ever read outside of D&D. I then got the "Time of the Twins" Dragonlance sequel, and some Thieves World stuff and the Willow sequels but never read any of the original stuff other than Belgarion, Sparhawk, and later Rhapsody. The Terry Brooks stuff I got seemed very crappy (couldn't follow the geography as the time travels seemed wrong) and once the Rings movies came out it seemed like a direct rip-off of Frodo. So, anyway...maybe I was just born into it. Shrug.

Redrobes
07-15-2011, 05:28 PM
I was intro'ed to fantasy via D&D from a friend but read Dragonlance first and thought (and still think) that its a great set of books. So the DL Chronicles first and Twins set after. Thats why I am Redrobes... anyway Belgariad was good stuff after then Malorian (clone of Belgariad tho right to the last page...). I read the first 100 pages of LotR about 4 times then The Hobbit then later on all of LotR before the films. Since then I have battled with The Hobbit again in french because I thought it would be interesting enough for me to stick with it instead of french text book crap which is so dull I switch off. I'm planning on reading the hobbit again in english once more before the films come out just so I have the official story in my head. Just finished Consider Phlebas by Ian M Banks sci fi which is an author I very much enjoy. Does he do any fantasy cos I'd probably pick some up if he did. So I ought to add that whilst I am in to tolkien, I am not into it like monks is on these boards. I haven't read the Silmaril yet for example.

tilt
07-16-2011, 03:58 AM
the Silmaril is a hard read ... and as I remember, not that good - a couple of nice things, but you don't need that background to enjoy the other stories. I enjoyed the DL chronicles when I read them in my teens, started to read them again some 10 years ago but couldn't really get into them again, read to much "dark" fantasy and they seemed a little to "simple" now - but I remember the stories with fondness. I now have them on hold till my kids are ready to hear them - problem is that I have to real-time translate them to danish as the actual danish translation you can buy sucks big time. Never got into the Belgariad cause they seemed a little to much like what I read in the later trilogy. Really liked Sparhawk and had a great time roleplaying in that world (using rolemaster as system).
And on a by note - I was reading the hobbit aloud yesterday and they arrived to Beorns house - I forgot all about him - and the eagles - so it looks like its good that I'm refreshing the story ;)

Midgardsormr
07-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I look at The Belgariad an early draft of The Elenium.

I quite enjoyed the Silmarillion, although it is indeed a difficult read. But I was quite a Tolkienphile when I was younger; I might not have the same patience for it nowadays.

Steel General
07-19-2011, 04:55 PM
I've never finished the Silmarillion, just a bit to dull for too long.

Anyone else see resemblance between the actor playing Gloin and John Rhys Davies as Gimli?

tilt
07-19-2011, 05:37 PM
well there should be resemblance between those two :)

Steel General
07-21-2011, 02:54 PM
well there should be resemblance between those two :)

True, but a lot of time that gets overlooked.