PDA

View Full Version : Software wishes

wlievens
07-15-2011, 04:50 AM
Hello,

Love this forum, I've been visiting it every few days for the last half year or so.
I'm not much of an artist but I'm a pretty decent software engineer.

So I was wondering, is there any mapping software (in the widest sense possible) that doesn't exist yet, or that exists in a really crappy or really overpriced form?

I've got some ideas in my head but since I'm not an awesome map maker like many guys here, I don't really know the market well.

Any ideas for what needs building?

Greets!
Wouter

tilt
07-15-2011, 06:37 AM
hmmm... I think its hard to come up with something completely new - but that doesn't mean that one cant do existing things better :) ... a thing my GM asked for this tuesday was an android app to keep track of initiative an hitpoints in D&D (he has an asus eee tablet) - maybe apps would be the way to go? :)

I'd like a plugin for photoshop that could simulate the pibebrush-function from GIMP - I hate that photoshop don't do colored brushes cause then I can't take for instance a mountain and brush a range with it, cause the greys are semitransparent.

wlievens
07-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Okay, here's an idea of mine:

A grid-based tool where you can draw your rooms, select floor materials, and then it generates an image of the floormap with procedural textures. Meaning, every floor tile is different.

For instance:

tilt
07-15-2011, 08:31 AM
sounds nice, always good to avoid tiling (except on tiles ;)) - just be sure to add curves and of course the option of adding elements (chairs, stairs and crosshairs... ok.. maybe not the last one) ;)

wlievens
07-15-2011, 08:44 AM
I've seen some of your room maps. They always seem to align perfectly to the grid. Is that the rule or is it the exception?

ravells
07-15-2011, 09:39 AM
If you want a real challenge, how about a program that makes procedural cities?

Check out 'City Engine' for the expensive version. There is also the RPG City Generator (free), but work on it appears to have been abandoned. Something like RPG City Generator which does vector exports would be fantastic.

tilt
07-15-2011, 11:50 AM
I align them to the grid for ease of use - the tiles I supply in my signature should be easy to cut out and put together :) ... In the real world, things don't nescesarily fit to a 5 foot grid, but in Dungeons and Dragons we pretend the world is like that - its so much easier :)

oh... and Ravells has a very good point - something that makes random (or not so random) cities in vector would be very cool indeed.

RobA
07-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Okay, here's an idea of mine:

A grid-based tool where you can draw your rooms, select floor materials, and then it generates an image of the floormap with procedural textures. Meaning, every floor tile is different.

For instance:

Look at by gimp dungeon prettier scrip. I does this by default.

-Rob A>

RobA
07-15-2011, 01:51 PM
I'd like a paint program that lets me paint on a spherical canvas, i.e. provides a rectangular viewport on a spherical canvas that you can pitch/yaw/rotate.

-Rob A>

cantab
07-15-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm still fairly new to creative mapping myself, but I think a creative mapping program that lets you work on a sphere would be good. No worrying about projection distortion when designing features!

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Midgardsormr
07-15-2011, 01:56 PM
I'd like a plugin for photoshop that could simulate the pibebrush-function from GIMP

YES. I've been kicking around the idea of learning how to code a PS plug-in expressly for the purpose of making that tool. Too much stuff to learn and do, though, so I doubt I'll ever get around to it unless I wind up turning into a professional matte painter.

tilt
07-15-2011, 02:13 PM
unless I wind up turning into a professional matte painter.

*crossing fingers*...please turn into a professional matte painter, please turn into a professional matte painter ... ;)

Ascension
07-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Aside from projections the thing I struggle most with is hand-painting height map terrain. Getting the grays just the right shade so that when you import it into a 3d program, like Bryce or Terragen, it doesn't turn into big cliffs and other drop-offs. Something that would help me blend the grays better, done mathematically, would take the hand-painting and blend things smoother at various ranges. Sure I'd want the lighter and darker parts to be not blended so that it generates mountain ridges and canyons with all the crackliness but blend the middle grays to avoid cliffiness. Like the lightest 15% and darkest 15% do not get blended. Something like that could help folks put their mountains where they want them instead of randomly putting them wherever Photoshop generates them. I can get around the random thing with hand-painting the grays but I get a lot of cliffiness, even in Wilbur.

Redrobes
07-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Does Z brush or its free clone do the painting on an object where object could be a sphere ?

Also for the height maps I think something where you can edit the height of a height map in 3D would be cool. I think Ravs was showing one a while back tho. You can use the sculpt tools in Blender to do that but that would be on a mesh not a DEM.

Something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM7Pz7CgTnc

but no need to do the full real time planet rendering, just the height map editing bit of it. If you could edit the height and color at the same time then you can do both requests above.

ravells
07-15-2011, 05:31 PM
You can paint on a sphere in PS CS4 and 5 extended now. It allows you to import an .obj model (e.g. a sphere ) and paint on it directly.

bartmoss
07-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Too bad PS is way beyond normal users' means :(

tilt
07-16-2011, 02:48 AM
yep.. it is rather expensive - and the price is double over here even though its the exact same program (I use the english version), but damn good program though.