PDA

View Full Version : A Leather Map

Chashio
07-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Okay, so this one developed from the background. I wanted to experiment with surface, texture, aging, environment, and lighting... and then see if I could make a time-worn, burned-leather map from all of it. It's not quite right, but that's why we call it an experiment. ;) I haven't done mountains or labels as of yet. Not sure how/if I want to proceed with them because the image size is rather small.

Maybe just a few key labels? Suggestions would be welcome.

Diamond
07-19-2011, 02:07 AM
Yeah, for something this small, I think I'd tend to go with just a few labels. As for mountains/forests/etc... I dunno. The tricky thing would be getting them to mesh with the rest of what you've got without making the whole thing look like a big blobby mess. If you'd done it at maybe twice the size, then maybe. The overall look of the leather looks awesome though.

Ascension
07-19-2011, 02:40 AM
The brighter edge across the top and left makes it look more like a slab of stone due to the bevel effect. The leather texture looks pretty good but maybe go a little more subtle. Looks like a pirate map so maybe a dashed line to a big X.

Chashio
07-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the ideas - I'll see what I can do with them.

SilenBlade
09-25-2011, 04:32 PM
IMHO edges a little bit too blurry but good job!