PDA

View Full Version : *** July/August Lite Mapping Challenge - a magical education ***

torstan
07-19-2011, 07:02 PM
So with a certain major franchise wrapping up right now in the cinemas it seemed like an opportune time to run a challenge based in that most loved institution of fantasy literature - the school of wizardry. This could be Hogwarts, the Unseen University or the Isle of Roke or some bizarre college unrelated to any of these.

The requirements of the challenge are:
It must clearly depict some part of a learning environment for people to learn about the arcane
It must be complete by the 15th of August when this challenge will close.

For each entry start a new thread in this forum with the title:
July/August challenge entry - <your title here>

Before any thumbnail write:
### Latest WIP ###

This will allow the thumbnail scraper to pick up the thumbs to create an array of the posts for people to check out.
The winner of the challenge will win fame, glory and a $40 store voucher from Profantasy (http://profantasy.com/). Good luck! Accio Entries!

http://fantasticmaps.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/sponsor1.jpg (http://profantasy.com/)

bartmoss
07-20-2011, 03:23 AM
That:

It must clearly depict some part of a learning environment for people to learn about the arcane

is harder than it seems at first glance!

tilt
07-20-2011, 04:57 AM
hmmm... maybe a little magic school on the Prarie with room for 12 kids :)

torstan
07-20-2011, 10:00 AM
That:

is harder than it seems at first glance!

I think it can be pretty open actually. A river of lave with the title - Environmental defence class and some notes down the side would probably scrape through :)

Jaxilon
07-20-2011, 10:53 AM
I think it can be pretty open actually. A river of lave with the title - Environmental defence class and some notes down the side would probably scrape through :)

Now if I can just figure out how to draw a river of bathe..and if it is to teach defense it might be time to find new friends to bathe with. What exactly are we trying to learn here? :)

lave
O.E. gelafian "wash by pouring, pour (water)," possibly an early Eng. or W.Gmc. borrowing of L. lavare "to wash," or its O.Fr. descendant, laver. L. lavare is from PIE *lou- "to wash" (cf. L. luere "to wash," Gk. louein "to wash, bathe," O.Ir. loathar "basin," Bret. laouer "trough," O.E. leaor

DOH! He means lava! ;);)

Sorry Torstan, in my weakness I could not resist an interesting typo.

torstan
07-20-2011, 10:54 AM
:) Yep, that was an unfortunate one. That will teach me not to type before coffee...

Beoner
07-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Well, that is an interesting one. Let's see what I can do, thinking on doing a circle tower/school for wizards :)

timallen
07-25-2011, 11:48 AM
"part of a learning environment..."

Hmm...well, since I work in a university library, I guess I better make a magical version of that.

Ascension
07-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Cool...I love stacks. Especially the dark, out of the way places where ... uh...never mind.

MrBenn
07-27-2011, 05:12 AM
Before I start rummaging around my head for inspiration, are there any size restrictions that I need to be aware of (ie minimum or maximum sizes)?

Ascension
07-27-2011, 04:01 PM
4.7 megabytes is the hard number for file size, for image size it varies depending on compression ratios and formats.

MrBenn
07-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks ;)

I was kind of expecting some kind of image size restriction as I'm used to working to solid constraints! Looks like I'll need to get myself some inspiration, and start pushing myself :P

vman3force
07-28-2011, 05:05 PM
I just recently was thinking of a magic academy, i might work on a map for this...

Len Wolff
07-30-2011, 05:50 AM
Does a herbalist academy count as 'some part of a learning environment for people to learn about the arcane'? The students learn to brew potions and elixers there and learn about the plants that have special powers.

tilt
07-30-2011, 06:01 AM
the challenge says "learn about the arcana" so if they are magic potions I think you'll be safe :) ... however, it is always up to the voters in the end if they deem your entry within the parameters of the challenge or not. :)

Len Wolff
07-30-2011, 06:16 AM
ah, I see. The voters decide. I thought there would be some preselection. Now I just have to figure out how to make it look 'magical'. Thanx

And the potions are indeed magic potions.

tilt
08-15-2011, 06:43 AM
just a quick reminder to all that today is the last chance for entries :)

torstan
08-15-2011, 02:38 PM
All threads will be locked at 5pm EST so make sure you get any final edits done in time.

jfrazierjr
08-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Ok... I THINK I gots all done. Damn slow ork artists...

tilt
08-15-2011, 03:25 PM
fighting to upload the latest version now... tried 5-6 times now - keeps failing. (and its the same size as the last one) .... :(

tilt
08-15-2011, 03:52 PM
succes.. all done :)

cantab
08-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Arrrrrrrrrrrgh

I just finished what should have been the final version of my entry, only to find the threads are locked :-@

(No major changes lookswise. Just added the market, air race stuff, and some walls, and put the labels on.)