PDA

View Full Version : July/August Challenge Entry: The Arcane Academy

Moe
07-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Hi mates,

I liked the idea of this challenge and so I decided to come up with something.
Severel attempts went straight into the bin. But finally I found a way being worth to be followed.

Here is my latest WIP of 'The Arcane Academy'. No Lables so far. Currently I have some trouble
deciding if i should fill in a lot of textures and work on a semi-realistic setting
or if I keep it simple (of course not empty) being able to add a lot of information and some artwork...

What do you think? Realistic or artwork style (e.g. some kind of old parchment notebook with a lot of notes)?

>Moe

### Latest WIP ###

AlexTna
07-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Firstly I want to say that the structure is very interesting and as you said, worth putting a lot of work in to it, congratz! And my personal opinion is making it more artwork style, I believe it fits better with this kind of structure (as you said with parchment and notes, really interesting).

Chashio
07-27-2011, 02:59 PM
I vote parchment and notes, too. Anything looking this intriguing needs some sort of story! Please =)

Moe
07-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Sorry folks,
It tourned out to be no sketch style...

I fooled around a little with some texture work and I liked it that much, that I'll continue from this point.
Nevertheless I still like the notebook idea.

What if I came up with some additional blueprint version (like this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6d/Waldhaus_Gasterntal_Plan5.JPG/719px-Waldhaus_Gasterntal_Plan5.JPG) one) arranging both together for the final version?

Todo list:
- Add textures to empty rooms
- Add signs of usage
- Add furniture, small lightsources
- Add light layer
- Add lables
- Write background information

Here's my latest WIP (low quality). I am thankful for any kind of criticism!
>Moe

### Latest WIP ###

jfrazierjr
07-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Wow! I got to say Moe, that this is quite magnificent on first view(don't have time to scrutinize closely). I think I know who's winning this go around...or at the very least who is getting at least one of my votes...

Chashio
07-28-2011, 12:01 PM
I rescind my biased suggestion for a sketchy look and will remain more open to digital textures in the future. Thank you. ;) I especially like the colors you chose for the center room but I'm not sure the green and purple really fit as they are. Perhaps they could use some toning down? Looking good! The elevation view would be interesting to see side by side, if you have time. Good idea. As an afterthought, the stairs (all of them) might benefit from some shading; it's difficult to tell what's up from down. Good luck with the challenge (though I have to agree with jfrazierjr).

eViLe_eAgLe
07-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Oh crap moe.. Your gonna make this hard for me aren't ye'?

Moe
07-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Oh crap moe.. Your gonna make this hard for me aren't ye'?

I hope so - I put so much time in that damn thing... testing this... trying that - hopefully it is no lost labour ;-)

It tourned out that the texture work had only been a basis to set up a proper parchment style.
My latest WIP includes a lot of changes and is probably half of the finished map. Some background information about it:

The Arcane Academy is a long forgotten enclave of education for wizards. It has been a thousand years since it's walls tumbled down during the Second Eclipse.
Recently Robard van Erestria, Archmage of the Blaze and Lord of Lytant found an old folio with floorplans of the Arcane Academy. Since he knows of it's powers, hidden within the unique architecture which concentrates the arcane sources of Ahr, the First God, Robard decided to take this chance to rebuilt the Academy.

Robard had been warned by the great council of wizardry of summoning old god's powers into the world of Teneran. The council is convinced, that it was the Arcane Academy itself as it shelters the spirit of Ahr - also known as the Orcus' Guard - which led to the Second Eclipse.

But Robard ignores them. He is driven by the vision of initiating a new era of magic education and follows his plan by all cost.

The final version is ment to include a new sketch by Robard showing his thoughts and annotations. This could be in the form of a blueprint discussed in an earlier post within this thread.
I welcome any kind of criticism!

>Moe

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
07-30-2011, 09:33 AM
This is really coming along quite nicely.

Chashio
07-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Nice. Very nice. What steps did you use to change the style? I'm sure I could fiddle it out eventually, but if you wouldn't mind sharing. =) Something to do with a sketch filter and overlays?

Had to laugh when I read the bit in the lower right... thought it would be another piece of backstory (you could go somewhere with that).

Moe
07-30-2011, 01:22 PM
This is really coming along quite nicely.Thanks a lot!

Nice. Very nice. What steps did you use to change the style? I'm sure I could fiddle it out eventually, but if you wouldn't mind sharing. =) Something to do with a sketch filter and overlays? Thank you ;-) There is no big secret behind the technique but I have to admit that I didn't record the steps in detail. At frist I changed the image to greyscale - then I took some filters such as cutout, colored pencil, graphic pen, underpainting and so on until the picture looked more like a drawing. The results were manually corrected with the clone stamp tool, a pencil with altered brush presets (e.g. scattering and dual brush) and the background eraser. I added a parchment texture as the bottom layer and changed the blending mode of the painting to pin light and a duplication above to screen

Had to laugh when I read the bit in the lower right... thought it would be another piece of backstory (you could go somewhere with that).
I hope you hadn't been able to decrypt the text though... It's actually an answer to another post somewhere in the forum which I wrote at the same time. But nevertheless the unreadability has something to do with the background story as the original builders of the Arcane Academy spoke another language. The red notes you can see were added by some anonymous guy some years before Robard purchased the folio. In the next WIP you will see that this guy analyzed the hidden meaning within the architecture. Robard uses this annotations which help him in understanding the purposes of the chambers... but the warnings he ignores ;-)

Working on the next WIP

>Moe

Moe
07-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Finally I am done with the next WIP...

I did the blueprint version, edited the parchment file, added a sheet showing some notes and arranged them together.
The text written within the notes was a quicky - not much thoughts went into it and i already noticed that there are some
mistakes - but as it is a WIP-file be assured I will work on it again.

As always: I appreciate any kind of critique!

Time to go to bed now... 2 a.m

>Moe

(low resolution)

### Latest WIP ###

arsheesh
07-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Ooh, this looks very promising!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Moe
08-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Ooh, this looks very promising!

Thanks!
Here is my next WIP.

Changes:
-Blueprint edited
-renewed letter
-added ruler & pens
-colors adjustments

As I am not that overwhelming when it comes to the writing of an authentic english text I would love it if you'd had a closer look on the lables and the letter.
Please tell me of any mistakes or improper style as well as I'd be thankful for any kind of criticism. I'd like to be sure 'bout the final text before I start adding ink stains and so on by hand.

You would help me a lot!

>Moe

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
08-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Wow, this is looking great! I love the little turned up edges on the paper and the fact that the print deforms with it. Really top notch work.

tilt
08-01-2011, 10:12 AM
damn this looks good, great work Moe - looks like I have to pull some all-nighters if I wanna compete ;)

Moe
08-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Wow, this is looking great! I love the little turned up edges on the paper and the fact that the print deforms with it. Really top notch work.

damn this looks good, great work Moe - looks like I have to pull some all-nighters if I wanna compete ;)
Puh, I get rosy-cheeked - you're ungrudging :blush:

Nothing to change within the letter and the lables?

>Moe

Chashio
08-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks for taking time to recall the process you used. It helps. =)

My suggested corrections/changes follow. The final two are based on my perspective of the character and circumstance... you may feel differently. The labels look okay, except I think you want A2 to be loggia. The letter: ... keep RAISING ignorant objections ... / ... most effective FORM ... / ... insists on their BELIEF ... / Dubious FELLOWS, but they are willing to support my plans and the Academy must be rebuilt at all cost. / Strike the last title bit - it's a personal letter.

Len Wolff
08-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Very nice. I love how you started with a small sketch and really elaborated on that. This is becoming much more than just a map. There is a complete novel in this drawing.

290blue
08-02-2011, 03:53 AM
This is honestly fabulous, Moe.

Just a couple of corrections to the text in the letter:

... magical education in its most effective... (should be no apostrophe in its)
They are dubious fellows... (they instead of those, fellows instead of fellas)

Chashio covered the rest that I spotted.

Again, splendid work, looking forward to further updates!

Coyotemax
08-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Wow. Skimming through the posts, I thought the parchment version was a winner waiting to happen, the rest of it adds so much it's going to be tough for others to keep up with you in the voting :)

Moe
08-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Now it's my turn to say wow: Wow!
Your feedback stunned me.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions about the text (escpiecally to Cash & blue - sounds like an 80's actioner ;) ). I declare the following WIP
as to be a 95% progress version putting aside the last 5% for any spontaneous ideas there may come or mistakes you might find.

As the new stuff is not as easy to spot as it used to be, here are the changes:

corrected letter
added ink stains
added ink texture to letter
added seal
captions corrected (loggia)
edited blueprint info (upper left corner)
element's positions adjusted

I appreciate any comments.

Regards,
>Moe

vman3force
08-02-2011, 12:44 PM
You know what. I was going to put together a map for this challenge, but I'd rather just see you win this one. :)

Surveyor
08-02-2011, 11:21 PM
I agree with the other comments, your map is a stunner!
Surveyor .

MrBenn
08-03-2011, 05:14 PM
You know what. I was going to put together a map for this challenge, but I'd rather just see you win this one. :)I was also going to try and put something together but don;t think I could match this!

tilt
08-03-2011, 05:51 PM
@vman and mrB .... put something together anyway - its not about winning - its about challenging yourself to do something in a short time - and often out of your comfort zone. And every challenge will make you better at mapping. :)

Moe
08-03-2011, 10:20 PM
You know what. I was going to put together a map for this challenge, but I'd rather just see you win this one. :)

I was also going to try and put something together but don;t think I could match this!

Please continue on your stuff, if you want asides the challenge.
I don't really feel good about my work holding you guys off from doing your work.
I am sure it feels great to know, that one's own work is inspiring - but this feels anything but great.

As tilt said, it is all about practice. I've learned so much during this challenge and a lot of it didn't end up in the final version, but ended up in my
personal head library ;-)

Best wishes,
>Moe

vman3force
08-06-2011, 03:10 AM
Oh, dont worry, you're not holding me off. I have more on my plate right now than I need anyways so I really dont have the time to do another challenge map quite yet.

Im not discouraged or anything like that. Though your map does garner some envy from me ;)

Moe
08-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Glad to hear this - especially about your envy ;-)

RobA
08-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Nice job, Moe!

-Rob A>

Moe
08-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Thank you for all your comments!
In case the threads are closed tomorrow I'll upload the final
version. There are no major changes, I only added a signature and erased some very
small issues (it's 30% size and 9 in quality).

So let's see where Robard and his Academy will end up in the voting :)

>Moe

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
08-09-2011, 04:08 PM
the challenge runs to the 15th - it says so in the challenge thread (and is the usual way to run it) ... so feel free to change more if so inclined :)

Moe
08-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Okay, thanks - Maybe somebody should change the rules thread then? Because there it is said:

Entry deadline - Entries for each Challenge must be posted prior to the last five days of that particular Challenges month. The Lite challenge runs from the 15th of the month to the 10th of the next month with five days for voting.

... so feel free to change more if so inclined :)
Any suggestions? ;)

>Moe

jfrazierjr
08-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Any suggestions? ;)

>Moe

heh... yeah, make it not so darn good so I can win! :P

Seriously, of the few I have looked at, your's is the clear winner in my book.

Len Wolff
08-10-2011, 04:52 AM
your's is the clear winner in my book.

I totally agree.

tilt
08-10-2011, 03:14 PM
no, I've got no suggestions - except what jfrazierjr said *lol* ... and concerning the rules it like... there are the rules... and then there are the rules... you know *lol* ... but you're right of course - we should note that the contest runs from the 20th to the 15th instead :)

jfrazierjr
08-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Yeah...well.. we tend to bend the rules... especially when the challenges are posted just a wee bit later than we would like....