PDA

View Full Version : July/August 2011 Lite Challenge Entry: Mount Augustus

Surveyor
07-27-2011, 10:58 AM
My idea of this challenge is as per the map concept.
I am not sure whether to stay in monochrome or do some light colours.
The final map will have some more labelling and perhaps some dragons flying around the tower (if I can draw them) A ship in the bay or river . Some more explanations And probably a overall monochrome wash to make the paper look a bit weathered (not Grunge)
### latest wip ###

timallen
07-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Looks great already. Better than anything I could do. But why is there a 3.5 inch floppy disk in the top of the tower? ;)

Surveyor
07-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Looks great already. Better than anything I could do. But why is there a 3.5 inch floppy disk in the top of the tower? ;)
You are right , I was lying in bed and all of the sudden I realised that the 3.5 floppy should have been a round shape for a round tower , I will amend! In fact it was originally a 5 1/4 diskette.

cantab
07-27-2011, 07:10 PM
By the standards of wizardry, a square room in a round tower is no big deal.

waldronate
07-28-2011, 12:24 AM
The square room is so that when the inevitable explosion occurs, it will blow out the thin corners of the room and leave the thicker walls untouched, thus maintaining the integrity of the tower. The first task of the next student on that level is to repair the new exterior doorways, of course.

Surveyor
07-28-2011, 07:22 PM
A bit of cleaning up , adding some more detail, replacing the square room,
I have tried to use colour , but I find it very difficult. in this hand drawn "map" without set boundaries.
To come, legends, brochure and explanations ( an invitation to put your warlock kids in this school )
NB I will probably use Ps for labelling but otherwise stick with Gimp
### Latest Wip ###

eViLe_eAgLe
07-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Ehh.. Your cruel man.. Im gonna have to work harder now :) It looks good and clean.
All I have to say is.. The mountain's in the backround are a little too squarish.

Surveyor
07-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Just a progress wip . I decided to colour after all.
To go Legends, Border, brochure , and possibly a treatment of background , eg parchment or weave (gimp impressionist)
I do want to keep this a clean modern flyer / brochure to enroll your warlock or otherwise arcane gifted child!
### Latest Wip ###
Cheers Surveyor

cantab
07-31-2011, 10:45 AM
Now this looks really nice with the colouring. The background gradient perhaps wants a bit of refinement, but everything else is excellent. It's amazing how the colour seems to bring it to life.

ravells
08-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Looking great, I'd suggest putting the cutaway version of the mountain/tower either in an inset or further away from the main illustration to make it clear that it is a separate diagram.

tilt
08-01-2011, 09:49 AM
nice work... I'd probably fill the "holes" in the mountains - it looked fine with the blank background but now they stand out a little :)

Surveyor
08-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks for your comments.
I think that I am way past shifting major structures.
I have roughly 40 layers and 5 major checkpoints "save as single" layers.
I have to go with what I have. It has been a great exercise.
All done in Gimp. I made my own hose brushes for mountains and trees.
I am still toying with making it into a threefold brochure. I'll play with that idea , but I think I am pretty well done with this.

### Latest Wip ###

Cheers Surveyor

EDIT I must have hit the Praise button instead of the Post Button and I do not know how to to edit that tag.
Can a moderator please alter that tag to POST instead of PRAISE

jfrazierjr
08-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Done...but I really like that you praised your own work...

Surveyor
08-05-2011, 09:04 AM
I just could not resist to try a bit more . Added some folds to make it look like a folded brochure and a little bit of drop shadow to make it lie not quite flat on the marbled stone slab.
### Latest Wip ###

Moe
08-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Well done - this adds a lot to the brochure look.

>Moe

Surveyor
08-06-2011, 03:56 AM
Thank You Moe for your comments.
I did just a little bit more and I am going to call it finished! I have tilted it and added a paperclip and attachment to make it less formal.
This is my first challenge and I learned a lot.
### Latest Wip ###

eViLe_eAgLe
08-06-2011, 04:55 AM
What time period is this? If its a medieval esque one.. The paperclip is out of place if it is.

Surveyor
08-06-2011, 05:30 AM
What time period is this? If its a medieval esque one.. The paperclip is out of place if it is.
Hi Evil, I had hoped that the tone and content of the brochure pointed to modern times. At least that was my intention.

I believe Harry Potter goes to a modern, albeit strange, school in a modern England somewhere.

Cheers Surveyor

Moe
08-06-2011, 09:13 AM
I like that it is tilted now and the white paper in the back is nice either.
But for my personal taste the background is too dark now - I'd prefer the lighter version of the previous WIP.

>Moe

tilt
08-06-2011, 01:44 PM
I like everything tilted ;) ... looks good, and I think it conveys modern time fine. I'm not a fan of the clip - either it should be gone or it should be put all the way down over the brochure with some slight creasing of the paper :)

Surveyor
08-07-2011, 03:46 AM
Hi Guys, thank you for the feed back @Moe I have lightened the background @ tilt I have pushed the clip in as far as it goes and have made the crease marks, I will show both versions and invite comments . I, myself, tend to go with the paperclip! I have also fixed a typo.

### Latest Wip ###

### Latest Wip ###

As an aside is there a problem with showing more than ONE thumb in a post or have I reached a limit of thumbs in a thread?
I cant seem to display both thumbs

tilt
08-07-2011, 03:59 AM
the paper clip looks better now :) ... when you add pictures to the post the easiest thing is to push "go advanced" (next to the post quick reply button) and use the "manage attachments" button there, then the forum will make the thumbs in a darkened box and can have up to 5 thumbs at a time.

please note also that the system only recognizes 1 latest WIP - so whatever picture comes after the last latest WIP is chosen by the scraper. :)

Surveyor
08-07-2011, 05:41 AM
tilt, I did play with the "manage attachment" inset and had both jpgs in the box but no matter what I did I could not activate both of them as a thumb. Hence my question about thumb limits in a thread! Anyway glad you approve of the paperclip!

tilt
08-08-2011, 04:57 AM
stwange ;) ... normally I only post one attachment at a time, but it should work with more... what went wrong - no idea - that's RobA's domain ;)

Surveyor
08-09-2011, 03:55 AM
To make sure that the correct entry is chosen, here is my final wip for this month's lite contest.

### Latest WIP ###

Edit, *** Again no thumbnail is shown. Can an admin please have a look at this . I do not believe I am doing anything wrong.

The thumb has up loaded as you can display it when you click on it. but the thumbnail is not displayed

Moe
08-09-2011, 06:08 AM
I once had this problem with a WIP in the Arcane Academy - as I remember I used the "Save for web" function of Photoshop to compress the image. Due to the code being included and browsers which would react to the file extension by default, the thumbnail wasn't shown but the link worked. When I chose "save as" everything went normal.

Maybe you use a similiar function in Gimp (or do you use PS)?

>Moe

Surveyor
08-09-2011, 09:28 AM
OK this is the last attempt to attach the file so that it presents with a thumbnail. Well what do you know , it worked!
I used the "manage attachment "screen but I also reduced the file size somewhat from 1.24 MB to 1.15 MB
### Latest Wip ###

I do not quite understand the difference as I am sure I have seen a post somewhere that limits a single upload to 5 MB or 5 separate uploads in the same post as against thread . Can Admin please review upload criteria and post them in FAQ's.
Cheers Surveyor

jfrazierjr
08-09-2011, 09:36 AM
We know there is something wonky with the whole upload thing. From what I understand, it's a problem of timing where the conversion to a thumbnail comes at a time when then server is under some load and thus the conversion fails. There is some thought going into seeing if a secondary server to host the images vs forums will help by offloading part of the work. As well, dedicated hosting is under consideration....

Unfortunately, all I can say is just keep trying.. what i have had to do sometimes is to save the file again... and it uploads correctly after the save.... of course.. I have no idea if just happens to be because CPU utilization changed in those few seconds or if the save did the trick... but my expectation is that the save did the trick.... I "believe" the server uses the file size and timestamp to note duplicate files. I say this because I have tried to reattach files minutes, hours, later and still no thumbnail is created so it "knows"(thinks is more like it) that it has already processed that file and won't try to thumbnail it again. While saving the file again changes the timestamp and makes it look like a different file to the software.

tilt
08-09-2011, 12:48 PM
the limit is 4.7 - but as jfrazierjr says its acting up sometimes probably because of the server is busy - so try and try again :)

Steel General
08-09-2011, 12:49 PM
You also need to watch the Megapixel count, IIRC it's around 23MPxl

RobA
08-09-2011, 03:34 PM
the limit is 4.7 - but as jfrazierjr says its acting up sometimes probably because of the server is busy - so try and try again :)

I have to log into the admin panel and rebuild missing thumbnails on an interval...Just did it.

-Rob A>