PDA

View Full Version : July/August Challenge Entry: North Rock School of Wizardry

tilt
07-27-2011, 11:18 AM
The Northern Reaches finest magic School is the "North Rock School of Wizardry". The students have a rigorous curriculum and often end up amongst the strongest and most skillful wizards in the world. Elementalists from North Rock are especially well skilled and often versatile having not only learned to master their favorite element but also one or two others.

### Latest WIP ###

Chashio
07-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Nice beginning. You've made me curious about those arrows. Spiral stairs? Wind vortex? ;)

tilt
07-27-2011, 02:04 PM
*lol*... just a note to put stairs there :)

timallen
07-28-2011, 01:02 PM
You do realize that North Rock School of Wizardry is very similar to the famous North Wizardry School of Rock? I think Jack Black is the dean there.:)

rdanhenry
08-04-2011, 04:45 PM
What about the Northern School of Wizard Rock? There's no better place to learn how to rhyme "Parselmouth".

tilt
08-05-2011, 03:58 AM
everybody is a comedian *lol* ... gotta get some time to work a little more on this :)

tilt
08-11-2011, 10:05 AM
finally got around to working on my school - I've added some walls, stairs and doors :)

Jaxilon
08-11-2011, 12:06 PM
This is pretty cool Tilt, I like the blueprint-y look of it.

tilt
08-11-2011, 01:50 PM
added basement and 2nd floor - had to scale down a little to stay within guild parameters :(

Moe
08-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Really like how you created the shapes. What do you plan to do next? :)

>Moe

tilt
08-12-2011, 02:21 AM
I still have to finish the towers and throw on a border - and then some parchment/aging :)

tilt
08-12-2011, 05:09 AM
As Ruben was walking down the road, rows of solid Oaks on both sides he felt his stomach flutter, magic school - and not just any school either but North Rock who had turned out some of the greatest wizards of all times. He especially looked forward to elemental wizardry which was his fathers speciality and his fathers before him. He hoped he himself would show the same aptitude for fire elementalism as they had. He could now see the grand doors stood open and he could see people bustling about inside. He adjusted his backpack and strode forward, towards education, new friendships and adventure.

Added 4 tower levels, some outdoors elements incl. trees, and I've begun on the border.

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
08-12-2011, 11:46 AM
As Ruben entered the grand hallway he was overwhelmed, the bustle of new and old students settling in around him as he tried to take in the grand ceiling painted with fantastic motives. In front of him there was a huge staircase leading to a grand circular room which was bathed in multicolored light from the glass dome above. He smiled and went in search for someone to assist him in finding his room.

Aged the paper, added title and heraldic shields. Added texts for the rooms.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
08-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Looking good...I'm finding it a bit tough to figure out where all the towers go (I think the frames represent different levels). Do the heralds represent anything specific? I was expecting to see something like the four elements of earth, fire, water, and air.

tilt
08-12-2011, 01:38 PM
thanks -yep, I haven't gotten the "levels" on yet, so hopefully that'll help. The heralds are the different houses in the school (HP style) - I plan to add the elements as well in the corners :)

arsheesh
08-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Looks amazing so far Tilt! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

tilt
08-15-2011, 05:00 AM
As Ruben entered his quarters he quickly acquainted himself with his fellow students. Half an hour later the dinner bell rang and they all filed down into the grand hall for the introduction to the school by the Head Master Archmage Rewion. His journey had begun.

Final version of the School.

Added House names, elements in the corners, and a lighthouse.

### Lastest WIP ###

ravells
08-15-2011, 05:30 AM
This looks terrific, tilt! Got to love the elemental shooting range!!!

Steel General
08-15-2011, 08:04 AM
This turned out quite nicely.

Moe
08-15-2011, 11:32 AM
You've done a good job there, I really like the artwork you used in the corners! :)

>Moe

tilt
08-15-2011, 11:58 AM
@ravi - yep, gotta have a shooting range
@ SG - thanks :)
@Moe - thanks, took some time drawing them I admit :)

Jaxilon
08-15-2011, 12:07 PM
This is nicely done tilt. I was thinking if it was me I would try some other color or saturation on the basic document. The main body of the piece seems a bit drab to me so maybe play with it and see if you find something you like better. If you like it the way it is I won't blame you for leaving it!

tilt
08-15-2011, 12:21 PM
thanks Jax - I think I'll leave it for now, I'm pretty satisfied and the wife and kids wants my participation in the holiday *lol*

Master TMO
08-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Being the more curious sort who likes to explore, the first thing I did was try to figure out where the secret passages connected. If I've got it right, the room with a secret door in it is under the staircase by the Master of Novices? The main entrance to the dungeons is from the Guard Room. I couldn't quite place the single secret door down the long passage, although I want to say in the Headmaster's Tower, which makes sense. I couldn't figure out which door it was though.

tilt
08-15-2011, 12:30 PM
it does indeed go to the Head Masters Tower ... the other to an unnamed room (although the Master of Novices would have been the prudent place I think - good idea) :)

Master TMO
08-15-2011, 01:08 PM
The room looked to me like it could be a storeroom of some sort, and by visual plotting seemed to be under the staircase just outside the Master of Novices room.

tilt
08-15-2011, 02:51 PM
So, I've tried to make the background a little more exiting color wise and I think that goes well with my element illustrations and the shields - more balanced :) ... also moved the Master of Novices office to accommodate the secret passage :)

### Latest WIP ###

Master TMO
08-15-2011, 03:06 PM
So, my visual plotting was way off then. I see why though... you didn't mark the stairs on the ground level map! :P I had just traversed to the left until I found staircases with the right orientation and said it was one of those. I call cheat!! :)

tilt
08-15-2011, 05:03 PM
its a ladder - to small to show *hehe*

Jaxilon
08-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Nice, I think it pops a little better now :)