PDA

View Full Version : July/August Challenge Entry: Gronks Akadami for Ork Shamin

jfrazierjr
07-27-2011, 12:44 PM
A few ideas rumbling in my head... Here is my required placeholder image. I sure hope it gets better than this(and finished even)...

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
07-27-2011, 01:01 PM
interesting buildings ;) ... remember to add "Latest" to your WIP :)

Ascension
07-27-2011, 03:47 PM
I love it already.

MrBenn
07-27-2011, 04:25 PM
You could tone down the red a bit, but otherwise it looks like it could be a winner!

jfrazierjr
07-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Ok... so some hand drawn ISOish goodness...I got a backstory... but need time to polish it up... suffice to say, students don't just fail.. the "fall"....>:)

Likely going to replace the existing "grass" lines as there is noticeable tiling due to the image size... plus I think they are just a bit to close together anyway for this map... of course, I have to add shading to the cliff face.

EDIT: Oh yea. the background image is courtesy of Torstan....

### Latest WIP ###

jfrazierjr
07-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Ok.. so.. not much done.. I wanted to redo the cliffs and make a switch back... but I feel at this point that I don't quite have the perspective correct. I put in the "lines" so that I could get some kind of idea of the rock face while dealing with the switch back. I can work on the top of the cliff.. but just not quite sure what to do about the switch back as it might be important to the story...

I also changed a couple of the layer modes to get the underlying texture to come through... but need to go back and clean up with some layer masks at the very end of the process....

### Latest WIP ###

cantab
07-28-2011, 11:34 PM
I wonder if once you have more terrain in, the cliffs will be "clearer". When it's just a cliff in an otherwise fairly flat plain, perhaps it seems more ambiguous.

tilt
07-29-2011, 06:02 AM
I see you've stepped away from the original daring approach and gone a more traditional road ;)

I like the colors - I think some different shading on the different sides of the path/bridge would make it clearer :)

jfrazierjr
07-29-2011, 08:50 AM
I see you've stepped away from the original daring approach and gone a more traditional road ;)

Urg...original daring approach??? gone traditional?? :?: not quite sure what ya mean here as I did not think there was anything odd with my original approach....

hmmm....btw... I reserve the right to chance my mind again on how I plan to do this....heh...

I like the colors - I think some different shading on the different sides of the path/bridge would make it clearer :)

Yep.. perhaps....

tilt
07-29-2011, 09:28 AM
original daring approach = red writing in your first post ;)

jfrazierjr
07-29-2011, 09:58 AM
original daring approach = red writing in your first post ;)

ROFL... I was just following the "letter" of the challenge rules (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?4384-Lite-Challenge-Rules-Please-Read.) which state that an image must be included in the original post. It does not say anything about the final product being based in any way on that initial image though.....heh.....

besides that... what? you no lik me writin?

jfrazierjr
07-29-2011, 10:03 PM
More.... Keeping on trucking.

### Latest WIP ###

jfrazierjr
07-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Bit more....Added some shading... but lots more to do.. perhaps redo. not sure I like the lines so "bold".... <shrug>

Dig the waterfall though... Need to add some more water high/lowlights on the upper part of the river of course.. not a lot of comments or critisims.... sooo I assume either it's to early in the process or I am doing everything perfectly and I doubt that...

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
08-04-2011, 11:31 AM
ah... its levels... thought it was a chasm ;) ... I'd shade the lower level a little differently to set it apart :)

jfrazierjr
08-04-2011, 12:21 PM
ah... its levels... thought it was a chasm ;) ... I'd shade the lower level a little differently to set it apart :)

Heh.. well.. I had "hoped" the waterfall would help a lot with that... but I can probably add a bit of color change to the lower elevation.. might even get rid of most of the grass all together<shrug>..

Soo... how does the waterfall look? Is believable?

Moe
08-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Soo... how does the waterfall look? Is believable?

I like it - the light 'wave lines' go pretty well with the water colour and add a certain fow.
I would add a lil bit of shading behind the waterfall due to the cliff's edge being not parallel as well as some spray clouds would be an improvment.
And I am not sure about the outlet - shouldn't its width be greater than the upper parts of the river?

>Moe

jfrazierjr
08-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I like it - the light 'wave lines' go pretty well with the water colour and add a certain fow.
I would add a lil bit of shading behind the waterfall due to the cliff's edge being not parallel as well as some spray clouds would be an improvment.
yea.. I had planned a bit on the former.. just have not gotten around to it.... will try to remember the latter...

And I am not sure about the outlet - shouldn't its width be greater than the upper parts of the river?
Ummmm duh.. yea... since the perspective is forced, it should quite a bit wider....

jfrazierjr
08-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Changed some stuff.. with the way I was doing the cliff before.. I would never finish it... so going simpler... In the meantime, I did a bit of sprucing up to to the waterfall... me likie....

Added test tree.... me likie again..

jfrazierjr
08-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Though I think Moe might have this wrapped up... I continue apace on this.... I hope I can actually get both the map and the story completed before voting starts...

I redid the shading I already had... It was a bit too sketchy in several places and I just did not dig it....

Next up is more trees, some huts, and perhaps a mountain side(depending on time)

Moe
08-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Nice :)

I can't await to see something happening above these cliffs.
Do you plan to shade the lil' path winding down the cliff?

>Moe

Justin Raven
08-07-2011, 11:12 PM
This is a nice start. I am a big fan of cliff-side/mountain paths like this. I, too, cannot wait to see what happens, here. My biggest concern, at this point is: What is the story, here? How was this path carved? Who made it? Why was it made? When was it made? Where was it made? All these factours contribute to how a landscape looks. I get a very generalized sense of the narrative. Personally, though this is nice, I would love to see some noodly details and character added to this guy :) Very nice, though. I like the cliffs and the waterfall. That's a sweet touch. You'll have to forgive me, but what is this made in?

Ascension
08-08-2011, 01:53 AM
I like that single tree, speaks to the loner in me.

tilt
08-08-2011, 04:28 AM
the cliffs look really good now - however, I feel the path not really fits well it ruins the perspective of the cliffs for me... maybe if it wasn't winding? The cliffs look very steep and the path more smooth.. its like a series of ladders, or a straight pass would fit better.. or a lift :)

Coyotemax
08-08-2011, 04:46 AM
the waterfall is looking very nice. I agree with the shading idea for the path, right now it looks a little artificial.
[edit- i just figured out what it is.. my mind's eye sees it as a narrow path crossing a wide chasm, but then the waterfall switches it to a cliffside.. and i go back and forth going AGH! ... very escheresque!]

i'll agree with ascension though - the single tree really speaks to me :) (seriously thoughy, I really like the way it looks)

tilt
08-08-2011, 05:20 AM
coyote - yep.. I thought the same when I first saw it as a "bridge" over a chasm :)

jfrazierjr
08-08-2011, 11:57 AM
I tihnk that if if I shade just the right areas around the path(perhaps redraw it also?) it will stand out more as carved into the rock... The key point is that where each switch back "curves", the background needs to be shaded such that it appears as if that section is extruded from the cliff... I also plan to draw a few "ledges" which will also help with the illusion, but will also need to re-shade the areas under the ledges to form more of a V shape to make then stand out.....

Sorry guys.. but I have to add more tree's.... glad you like that one tree though..lol....

jfrazierjr
08-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Not much in the way of progress... I just added an insert that I will populate with a topdown view of the "school". I never realized how hard it was to draw a straight line until now...lol

tilt
08-10-2011, 03:12 PM
in photoshop you can hold SHIFT down for straight lines ... perhaps Gimp has that as well?

jfrazierjr
08-10-2011, 03:21 PM
in photoshop you can hold SHIFT down for straight lines ... perhaps Gimp has that as well?

Yes, it does... but...well.. that's kind of against the idea of a hand drawn picture though aint it? :P The "artist" who "drew" this map did not exactly have a set of rulers, especially considering that he was an Ork...heh... btw.. thats part of the story of this map...

jfrazierjr
08-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Hmm... me add big mountain.... not sure if it fits... it's mainly there to fill space...I like it as a whole... but don't know if it's right for this piece... Comments?

Oh.. I will be coming back and adding some hard lines to the mountain where the light/dark separates....

cantab
08-12-2011, 09:51 PM
I really think you've done a great job of the terrain now.

jfrazierjr
08-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Not sure if I will have time to finish before the challenge closes. Added a bunch of trees... I need some better workflow in making brushes as they are not all quite the same... bummer...

tilt
08-15-2011, 11:32 AM
nice... now, hurry hurry :)

Moe
08-15-2011, 12:37 PM
The trees fit nicely into this style (just have to say that the 'greener' trees look a bit weaker than the others - perhaps because of those bright higlight twirls).
Keep it going - this map needs some captions ;) Would be great to see further updates on this even if you couldn't make it before the deadline.

>Moe

jfrazierjr
08-15-2011, 03:15 PM
I canz be done????

Gronk boasts a 100% graduation date... but that perfect record is due in large part that every failing student meets with some untimely "accidental" death.