PDA

View Full Version : Ruteria

Erazz
07-29-2011, 07:13 AM
Hello,

After reading tutorials and starting toying in photoshop I'ved made a map for one of my novels called Ruteria.
This is my first map and the first steps into cartography.
It was made in photoshop 100%.
The resolution is a bit small. It doesn't have a canvas or compass.
Names of the cities are of greek origin, chosen for their meaning (Nox - Night; Enora - Honor; Norah - Shining Light etc.)
The map itself has a lot of lore in it, if you would like to know more, ask.

This map, for me was a great learning point. It was a trial and error process so you can see glimpses of an unskilled touch.
Sorry for my english, I'm foreign.

Meridok
07-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Your first map? :O I love the style, think it looks pretty great. :D And don't worry about the english - plenty of people aren't native speakers.

eViLe_eAgLe
07-29-2011, 01:39 PM
I think it looks great also.. All I would have to say is maybe put the opacity down on the sea lines? O w/e those are.

Midgardsormr
07-29-2011, 01:54 PM
I really like the vibrant colors in this map. It's difficult to get that kind of color without making it garish, and I think you've don't a great job! A lot of the labels are difficult due to the unnecessary distortions you've put on them. I can't think of many reasons to want a "wave" distort on text. Usually a gentle curve is the furthest you want to go.

Also, contrast aids legibility. There are a couple of places where you have black text across dark colors, and that hurts the map. You could fix it by repositioning the labels, changing their color, or adding a bit of a light-colored glow around the letters.

Welcome to the Guild!

Erazz
07-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Thank you very much for your replies. I have read all the advice given and I'm considering it in my next map, it will be posted soon in the "in development" forum.
Again, thanks!

Larb
07-29-2011, 05:28 PM
This map definitely has a unique and vibrant style. Not really a fan of the labels though, never liked warped/bendy text a great deal my self. Great work though!

ravells
07-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Really individual and funky! love it! Keep the style, develop it and make it yours! It's so rare to see something like this!

Katto
07-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Yes that style has potential. Refine it in further maps to get it unique. Have some rep for your first map!