PDA

View Full Version : Fable Map Imitation.

eViLe_eAgLe
07-31-2011, 03:57 AM
Well, lets just say this has been my goal for a while in mapping but am just now getting to it since all my other projects have closed.

I am going to start by imitating the first Albion map.

http://guides.gamepressure.com/fablethelostchapters/gfx/maps/181941759.jpg

And then once I master that. Proceed to this.

http://images.wikia.com/fable/images/1/17/Fable2Albionmap.jpg

I hope ascension doesn't mind if I say the style he derived off of the second map.. Isn't well as good.. No offense at all its really good its just that i've grown to love this map so much. And I will still selfishly ask for his help.

Notice: These images are not mine I do not claim them to be mine.

eViLe_eAgLe
07-31-2011, 10:05 PM
A sketch of mine for the 1st fable map imitation.

http://gyazo.com/158e4ee8788de2c93f7f4d4814095e8c.png

eViLe_eAgLe
08-01-2011, 04:23 AM
Update:

http://gyazo.com/6bb58f6b13ed71fa5f21f8b3260263c4.png

Critique and such is wanted.. And, possibly anyone know how to get the land to look more like the Fable map's land?

nolgroth
08-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Oooh. I am interested in seeing this one progress. Nice start so far.

Subcreator
08-01-2011, 09:38 AM
I've never played Fable or Fable II, but this looks really good.

Diamond
08-01-2011, 09:57 PM
And, possibly anyone know how to get the land to look more like the Fable map's land?
Are you talking about the kind of spotted look around the coastlines? Or the bevelled look? If you mean the spots, there's a relatively easy way to do it in photoshop. When I get home from work, I can write a mini-tutorial for you, if you want.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-02-2011, 02:13 AM
That would be awesome. I relatively messed around with it when I got home with Noise and Cutout filters but that didn't produce what I wanted..
As for Beleved effect I couldn't get it with just a Belevel and some tweaking. Sadly I didn't tweak anything else with it like Drop shadow or Innershadow.
But, Perhaps both?

Diamond
08-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Just keep experimenting until you come up with something you like, that's how I do it. Of course, if you haven't kept track of how you got there, you may not be able to duplicate it. :D

Yeah, let me work on the mini-tut tonight and I'll post it as quick as I can.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Alright! Thank you Diamond :)

Diamond
08-03-2011, 01:08 AM
Okay, try this out, Evil.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-03-2011, 01:35 AM
Bah! Disolve.. Inner glow.. Why didn't I think of that? But, anyway thank you Diamond!

Hai-Etlik
08-03-2011, 01:38 AM
And it's time for yet another geodesy complaint: Mixing an equidistant projection (Graticule lines are evenly spaced) with a compass rose and straight rumb lines (Those radiating lines) is wrong. It's wrong in the original map, and it's wrong in your map. Neither particularly matches with your highly stylized rivers as either a graticule or rhumb lines indicate the map is meant to be to scale. If your rivers are meant to be to scale, then they are rather misproportioned as they are way to wide for their width, and their deltas are likewise far to large (and again, the same is true of the game maps you are mimicking)

Otherwise it's a good start.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-03-2011, 02:17 AM
Yes.. I know with the rivers once I looked at them in full view I was.. Shocked at how large they were. Larger then the Map i'm mimicking for sure.
As for the Lines.. I think they look rather nice if wrong. I knew mixing them wasn't cartgoraphically right. (Not even sure if thats a word.)
I've decided for two different versions of this map.. Purely imitation and one that I will build on and probably enhance.

Hai-Etlik
08-03-2011, 03:35 AM
As for the Lines.. I think they look rather nice if wrong. I knew mixing them wasn't cartgoraphically right.

You might consider using more rhumb lines rather than the graticule. You can get quite a complex web of them going: http://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?albumid=158&attachmentid=29592, or use a graticule for a Normal Mercator projection.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-03-2011, 03:45 AM
Gah.. I would but it looks so hard to do that.. But, anyway! Time for a small update!

http://gyazo.com/13aa41ae65c3ad6e8b3921c707e05651.png

Hai-Etlik
08-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Gah.. I would but it looks so hard to do that..

It's not that hard. Even doing it by hand would be nothing more than a bunch of copying and rotating in a vector graphics program like Inkscape or Illustrator. I made it by writing a little program of my own in Ruby though.

I've attached a copy of the lines if you want to try it, though it might be a bit overkill for this map.

jfrazierjr
08-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Just keep experimenting until you come up with something you like, that's how I do it. Of course, if you haven't kept track of how you got there, you may not be able to duplicate it. :D

Yeah, let me work on the mini-tut tonight and I'll post it as quick as I can.

One of the things I have done before(in GIMP) is to use a large grunge brush set to jitter. Unfortunately, the best example(well.. the one "I" liked best!!!) I had was on a computer that died and the image was never posted anywhere. Here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?3707-The-Paltik-Ocean-region) is an old throwaway map I made while testing out some mountain styles in the early days that used a similar approach on the sea layer around the shoreline. In essence, I did something like this:

Configure brush: brush size, jitter, the actual brush itself using the spray brush tool... You might also want to play with brush dynamics Random: Hardness,Opacity
Select landmass(optionally, grow the selection to "move" it out into the sea area more.... might need to rethink your brush size though)
Stroke Selection using the spray brush tool. Emulate brush dynamics.
hit delete (to get rid of stuff on the "inner" side of your selection.

Now.. since you are wanting the land instead of the sea, just reverse what you are selecting.

Play with it and go nuts.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-03-2011, 04:56 PM
What I did was make a blob brush.. Just a generic blob and define that as a brush preset and select my landmass and make that a work path and set the blob size to 40 and shapedynamics and scattering around 900 depending on size. I then stroke it twice. And another time with a smaller size and around 400 scatter. Worked out fairly well I think.

I'll finish working on this some time tomorrow. I have alot of things to do today.

jtougas
08-03-2011, 05:35 PM
This looks really good. :)

eViLe_eAgLe
08-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks Jtougas! :)

eViLe_eAgLe
08-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Well.. I rushed it today and am not putting in town's or such... Because PS has been so difficult of late..

arsheesh
08-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Wow, that's looking mighty fine eVile_eAgLe! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

eViLe_eAgLe
08-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Thanks Arsheesh! :)
If anyone has any tips.. Pointers or criticism I would be obliged to take it. :)

jfrazierjr
08-10-2011, 08:05 AM
I would probably lighten it up, but aside from that.. it looks good at this point..keep going..

nolgroth
08-10-2011, 11:53 AM
I actually kind of like it dark, but a little lightening probably wouldn't hurt it much. So far, I would count that as an excellent job. Keep up the good work.