PDA

View Full Version : July/August 2011 Lite Challenge Entry: Underdark Series - Hidden School of the Arcane

Vascant
07-31-2011, 01:10 PM
This is my first challenge so lets try and keep the laughing down...

Since I am starting to create underground maps in another thread I decided to combine that goal with this challenge for a new map. I still have tons of work to do but can at least see the direction headed at this point.

Thanks

### Latest WIP ###

eViLe_eAgLe
07-31-2011, 04:03 PM
I think it looks bloody brilliant. My only thing would be too make the chasm less hard and fade it out a bit more to make it bigger. And, maybe working on the chasm walls a bit more? I realize this is still being made though so you might Already be doing these things.

Vascant
07-31-2011, 04:18 PM
My only thing would be too make the chasm less hard and fade it out a bit more to make it bigger. And, maybe working on the chasm walls a bit more? I realize this is still being made though so you might Already be doing these things.

Yeah, I have spent zero time putting shadows and such into the map, up until this point the map was a mess and only looked good in my head thinking "hopefully this will end up with what I want to see". So nothing is done, everything is just finally getting outlined. Currently working on the small water source and aqueduct.

Thanks for the input

tilt
08-01-2011, 09:53 AM
good start - I'm guessing doors will come next - and that small mouse tunnel will be expanded or deleted?... or just put a trap in front of it ;)

a congrats on your first challenge entry - always nice to see more people participate :)

cantab
08-01-2011, 10:36 AM
The small tunnels are the aqueducts I presume.

Vascant
08-01-2011, 01:17 PM
good start - I'm guessing doors will come next - and that small mouse tunnel will be expanded or deleted?... or just put a trap in front of it ;)

a congrats on your first challenge entry - always nice to see more people participate :)

As someone pointed out the small tunnel is just the framework for the aqueduct, the water is started so can be seen in the next WIP today.

All doors and such still are to come, not so sure if I am participating as good as some of the other maps look but I am entering.. ;)

Vascant
08-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Started working on the rift shading to give it some depth and the small underground water source. I will probably be touching both through out the process until I am happy or make myself leave them alone.

Finished up the last of the interior walls, so next will be doors and the windows in the one room and then I can start working on the wall sections where things are patched together a bit roughly. Also thinking of adding columns along the two 30 feet hallways but will see how it looks, then comes objects to make each room feel unique.

### Latest WIP ###

Vascant
08-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Now I think it is time to start putting some flavor and detail into the rooms.

### Latest WIP ###

Vascant
08-03-2011, 08:01 PM
I didn't get as much time I as desired because my wife decided to be sick today but oh well, maybe some more tomorrow.

### Latest WIP ###

Vascant
08-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I didn't get as much time I as desired because my wife decided to be sick today but oh well, maybe some more tomorrow.

Not sure what is going on with my posting, probably just user error.
### Latest WIP ###

Moe
08-03-2011, 09:05 PM
I tried to find a lot of different objects to fill my arcane academy and failed ;-)
It seems as your are the more resourceful.

If you don't mind telling me, where did you find those glyphs you used on the floor in
the circle rooms?

Fill it up with furniture and love, put some lighting and I think this will be a pretty cool
dungeon map!

>Moe

Vascant
08-04-2011, 06:45 AM
I tried to find a lot of different objects to fill my arcane academy and failed ;-)
It seems as your are the more resourceful.

If you don't mind telling me, where did you find those glyphs you used on the floor in
the circle rooms?

Fill it up with furniture and love, put some lighting and I think this will be a pretty cool
dungeon map!

>Moe

If there is such a thing as digital hoarding, I am guilty of it. I download quite a bit of stuff and have a decent digital camara that I am always snapping shoots off. They are a set of brushes I found years ago, not sure where sometimes I google the weirdest things.

Thanks for the comments :)

Vascant
08-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Starting to add a lot more detail to the rooms to give a visual of the purpose of the room.

There are a few little things I want to do on this map, mostly they are things for me to learn how to do them though. (Not sure how any of it will turn out)

### Latest WIP ###

Vascant
08-05-2011, 12:04 PM
I am fairly pleased with this map, I think I accomplished everything I set out to do at the start.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
08-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Nice, man. I dig it.

tilt
08-06-2011, 02:36 AM
looks really cool - nice job :) ... I like the having to have a school ring to enter and the illusive bridge ... although that does make it hard for the cleaning crew *lol*

Moe
08-06-2011, 02:53 AM
Very nice - all I can say is: I like it!
Looking forward to further updates.

>Moe

Jaxilon
08-15-2011, 12:13 PM
I agree, this is a great entry!

jfrazierjr
08-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Nice stuff....