PDA

View Full Version : Large Files, Heavy Details

Subcreator
08-01-2011, 06:19 PM
I realized that the maps I post tend to be too large to fit properly on the forum. The problem is that I just like to use very large files in creating my maps. That way, I can do the details and then shrink it down, or crop out what I want if I want to make a map of a smaller area. In fact, the main file for my whole world map is about 5400 pixels wide. With smaller areas, like a city or building map, I like to do it at a ratio of a pixel per foot, or a regional map at a pixel per mile.

Does anyone else use files that large, or do you draw them out first and scan them?

moutarde
08-01-2011, 08:57 PM
I always work with large files (current map is 9600x4800), and I'll generally just scale down the resolution by 1/3 before posting. Makes it much easier to upload, and often makes it look better too ;)

bartmoss
08-02-2011, 02:04 AM
I usually pick a paper size instead of a pixel size. But I have a similar problem, in that I tend to grow my files too large - I love Inkscape but it just can't cope with files with a lot of nodes in them. Bogs down really quickly.

tilt
08-02-2011, 02:07 AM
yep... I like large file sizes as well - probably comes from my working with off-line graphics - if the file wont print nice later its not worth it. My current BIG project is 16000 x 12000 pixels :) ... I then scale it down for posting here - but I try to put the high res versions up on Deviant Art as well :)

Coyotemax
08-02-2011, 02:21 AM
I started off with monitor-sized maps.. then this place spoiled me for huge files with lots of detail :)
My typical pattern lately (with a few notable exceptions) has been to open up a 16x22@300dpi and work from there..
6600x4800 in terms of pixels, woot!

Subcreator
08-02-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Unfortunately for me, I'm working off of a laptop, and so the graphics card and memory aren't all that great for massive files. I'd love to get something else, but I just don't have the money. Heck, that's why I use GIMP. It's free.

tilt
08-03-2011, 11:36 AM
working of my MacBook Pro - my old pc couldn't handle the tablet - it reacted terribly slow which made it rather hard to paint/draw with it. I'd still love more ram though to speed up calculations :)

Gamerprinter
08-04-2011, 04:58 PM
That's why I prefer using a vector app like Xara to create my maps, as I generally create maps at 24" x 36" without any notion of pixels at all. Working in vector is not reliant on a specific pixel dimension as any raster application requires. When I am done I can export to 100 ppi for VT uses or posting on this forum, and I can still print at full scale 300 dpi from the same map original without making changes at all. PPI is determined at image export only. The map that I created for Paizo was a 36" x 48" map setup, but then I hand-drew 4 each, 18 x 24 inch sized sheets that were scanned and composited to the "E" size. Of course sending a version to Paizo for review, I only export as a 96 ppi image - as they will only look, and not intended for print.