PDA

View Full Version : sketchy charcoal

feanaaro
08-04-2011, 06:16 AM
while trying to finalise my other map (FT+photoshop) I did this just with PS, for a quick distraction.
It's some of pasis' tutorial, just in greyscale.

jfrazierjr
08-04-2011, 07:23 AM
That's quite cool! Do you plan to add to this? I would like to see something like this monochrome scheme with a slight iso perspective if your up for it....

My one complaint(which is just me and very minor) would be that I would like the outer coastal "glow" be less regular. To me, it really stands out against the very subtle texture of the sea...

feanaaro
08-04-2011, 08:02 AM
You are right about the glow. I should do that by hand perhaps, or is there a way to "randomise" it?
Notice that I am not good with PS, just learning, so many things that may be obvious to experienced users I don't know.
I would like to do it isometrically, but I don't know how, except by drawing by hand, something I am exceedingly bad at.

jfrazierjr
08-04-2011, 08:11 AM
You are right about the glow. I should do that by hand perhaps, or is there a way to "randomise" it?
Notice that I am not good with PS, just learning, so many things that may be obvious to experienced users I don't know.
I would like to do it isometrically, but I don't know how, except by drawing by hand, something I am exceedingly bad at.

I don't know PS, so can't give specific help...

I assume you used a stroke on a path or selection? I know in GIMP since you can stroke with a brush, you can set jitter which makes the brush move closer and away from the stroked path as it moves around. Another possibility is size jitter....

I actually wonder if perhaps a diffusion pattern might not work well, especially if there is jitter along the path and jitter on the brush size. I just have no idea how one would do that type of thing...

feanaaro
08-04-2011, 08:48 AM
No, it is just an inner glow, set to a dark grey color, applied to the sea layer.

Moe
08-04-2011, 09:04 AM
I assume you used a stroke on a path or selection? I know in GIMP since you can stroke with a brush, you can set jitter which makes the brush move closer and away from the stroked path as it moves around. Another possibility is size jitter....

That is in deed possible with PS.

You could draw a path around your landmass with the pen tool and stroke it with certain changes within the brush presets.
I've made the example for another purpose but here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?15395-Patrecia-WIP/page2) is a hint on how to do this.

If you don't want to work with paths: create a copy of your landmass, fill it with white colour, add a stroke as you did it, merge this layer with an empty one (rasterize effect on the stroke), use motion blur or any other filter helping you with a little displacing - then you can add noise again if that is what you want.

Just notice that there are enormous ways to reach this effect and non of them is right or wrong, just different ;-)

>Moe

Steel General
08-04-2011, 09:20 AM
That has a really neat look to it.

Diamond
08-04-2011, 11:20 PM
I really like this. Looks like it belongs in a fantasy novel.

feanaaro
08-05-2011, 05:34 AM
This is the same tecnique while trying to catch an effect of "raised paper", without a single visible stroke at the moment (but for the other elements, forests, cities etc, I will have to yield, methinks).

feanaaro
08-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Mountains were too strong, I toned them down. I also tried some casual fillings of forests and cities using Starraven calligraphic brushes, just to see how it came along.

Ascension
08-05-2011, 04:47 PM
If you are going to use stylized brushes for forests you should use the same for mountains and other terrain features. I know that doing forests in the previous method doesn't look all that great with this particular style but for this type of map you can just use dark color blobs for forests and not worry about making sure that they seem 3d. This style combines faux shaded relief with a monochrome sepia tone so trees and swamps and plains don't need 3d relief - just mountains, hills, craters, and canyons...maybe river valleys but maybe not. I dig what you are doing here, though, and I like the very first one the most.

feanaaro
08-05-2011, 06:13 PM
That was my idea, relief effect for, well, reliefs and "ink" (sepia) for everything else. I am not sure I understand why monochrome blobs would do better than stylised brushes. How would you do cities in that way?

The first one, pseudo-charcoal is easier because there I am not aiming for raised paper and thus sketchy icons should not look out of place.

Ascension
08-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Mainly because you have 2 different styles clashing here - shaded relief and hand-drawn symbols. Shaded relief didn't really come around until the 19th century while hand-drawn symbols have been around since maps themselves. Generally, do it all one way or the other because rarely does a mish-mash work. It may work here, shrug, but I didn't want you to put a lot of effort into and then realize that you had to go back to the beginning and redo things. If you like it then keep at it. Just a bit of advice from your friendly neighborhood spidermapper.

feanaaro
08-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Sure, I did not mean to be rude. Just saying that, as compared to the relief-shading, a dark color blob is as much another style as an hand-drawn symbol.

feanaaro
08-10-2011, 10:54 AM
This is an attempt to use the "charcoal" style to map another area of the Arya world/continent.
The problem is that I am not able to replicate accurately, not even remotely, the geographical features as they are in Fractal Terrains. However, it is just to try the style. I used again some of StarRaven brushes, this time the sketchy ones. I still don't have a satisfactory way of doing forest (but this area is mostly desrt and chaparral, so...)

Steel General
08-10-2011, 12:12 PM
This looks quite good, really like the mountains.

feanaaro
08-10-2011, 12:44 PM
For some reason my first mountains always look too dark to me.
Here is another version, trying to follow a more closely the FT original.

ravells
08-10-2011, 12:48 PM
This is looking really cool, feanaaro!

feanaaro
08-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Trying a different forest

Moe
08-12-2011, 10:22 PM
I like the irregular forest-type the most. It goes pretty well with the overall style you chose.
The forest in the north west is a bit too even for my taste and in the south you can clearly see the edges of your brush stroke ;)

All in all: Good job - it gets better and better

>Moe

Quabbe
08-13-2011, 01:20 AM
The style is going to turn out really nice.

feanaaro
08-22-2011, 06:09 PM
I like the irregular forest-type the most. It goes pretty well with the overall style you chose.
The forest in the north west is a bit too even for my taste and in the south you can clearly see the edges of your brush stroke ;)

All in all: Good job - it gets better and better

>Moe

Thanks. But which style is the irregular one that you like? The last one or the previous one? They seem equally regular, or irregular, to me :-)

Moe
08-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks. But which style is the irregular one that you like? The last one or the previous one? They seem equally regular, or irregular, to me :-)
I referr to the forest type you've used on the northern island as the 'irregular one'. It is more scattered than the other ones and gets lighter or rather less dense to its edges.
In the south you can see the edges of the brush stroke which, in my opinion, cracks up the charocoal look. In the west You've used both types of forests together placing the less dense one
in the middle surrounded by the first type I mentioned. For my personal taste, the trees should be closer to each other in the middle of a forest and not on its edges.

Just my personal taste - as I sad, I really like it :)

>Moe

feanaaro
08-23-2011, 05:44 AM
Thanks, now it's clear. Besides the visible stroke, the apparent density of the forest is due to the texture. It is effectively denser in the center and less dense on the edges, but it seems the reverse because of the texture and the shadows. That is probably a good reaon not to use that kind of texture. I'll probably revert to the previous one.

feanaaro
09-14-2011, 05:22 PM
This has stopped being "charcoal" a while ago, but perhaps it's still "sketchy". Whatever, I wanted to try some light colouring. What do you think?

ravells
09-15-2011, 12:46 AM
It may not be charcoal anymore but it looks damn good. The mountains and water especially. I really like the colours you're using.

feanaaro
09-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Fiddling...