PDA

View Full Version : There May Or May Not Be Free Cookies Within This Thread

Insufferable Fool
08-07-2011, 02:56 PM

I like this site. I was mildly unimpressed/bored with other forums I saw. In fact, I'd all but given up on a quality discussion resource. But lo and behold, there was you. Extremely promising.

I'm not particularly forum-savvy; however, if my basic computer skills are of any use to me, there should be a sample map photo attached to this post. It's one of my more recent endeavours, and is drawn with a level of sophistication contemporary with 5th graders (coloured pencils for the win). Unfortunately, it's an overview map and does not include the level of detail (proper mountain countours, small lakes, minor keeps/castles/towns, etc.) that the five component maps, currently in progress, contain. Anywho, I thought it'd be a fairly decent way to introduce myself.

Oh, also, hello.

Redrobes
08-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Welcome, like the map. It has consistent shaded relief and good rivers. Not a bad start. I think its easier to do those sorts of maps digitally esp if your going to make higher scale versions of parts of it because you can copy a section, blow it up and then refine it. It keeps its scale and layout better than trying to match it by hand. Pencil is probably quicker tho.

Moe
08-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Welcome!

Do you plan to work on this using any kind of graphical software?
(I have to admit I could only look at it for a short time to avoid a stiff neck ;-) )

>Moe

Ascension
08-07-2011, 03:20 PM
And cheers for having a proper river structure in a first post...always a plus.

Coyotemax
08-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Awesome work! don't put yourself down, that's a mighty fine piece you have. Nothing wrong with pencil crayon!

Insufferable Fool
08-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Welcome!

Do you plan to work on this using any kind of graphical software?
(I have to admit I could only look at it for a short time to avoid a stiff neck ;-) )

>Moe

Actually, I'd love to use software. I haven't the slightest idea where to start with that though. And I imagine that an economically challenged student like myself might have trouble acquiring such lofty tools. I'd certainly welcome recommendations; I'm here to learn

RobA
08-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Actually, I'd love to use software. I haven't the slightest idea where to start with that though. And I imagine that an economically challenged student like myself might have trouble acquiring such lofty tools. I'd certainly welcome recommendations; I'm here to learn

A very economical entry point is Gimp, since it is free both as in speech and as in cookies. If you have access to a scanner, you can bring in hand drawn maps then colour them quite easily. This is what I did with the current featured map :). If you are comfortable with hand drawing, then alternatively you might want to look at getting a tablet to draw with (again in a program like Gimp, or Painter, or a number of free/inexpensive tools). I just sold my old tablet (Graphire 3) for $50CDN on kijji, so they can be obtained for a reasonable price. I find it much easier to draw with a tablet than a mouse.

If you are more into line-art, then a program like Inkscape (also free) can be used easily with a mouse to create nice maps as well.

Once you get proficient with the idea of creating art in the computer you can consider options that may cost more. Things like Serif Drawplus or Xara Extereme are much less than the big name adobe products.

-Rob A>

Insufferable Fool
08-07-2011, 05:41 PM
A very economical entry point is Gimp, since it is ...

Perfect! Thanks very much for all the info!

tilt
08-08-2011, 05:55 AM
where are the cookies? ... ;) welcome to the guild .. and as metioned GIMP is a great way to start with your digital mapping :)

Steel General
08-09-2011, 02:00 PM
What no cookies?

... Welcome Aboard!

jbgibson
08-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Nice job, I.F, and welcome to the Guild. You're wrong though... fifth-grade sophistication? Pshhh. Grade-school-accessible tools or not, I don't know any fifth-graders mapping with credible shaded relief mountains, believable river networks, a pleasant palette.... no, you've got some good carto chops already. We look forward to seeing what else you devise, whether more pencil work, or digital. Really, what you have here IS digital .... just using camera, pencil, and paper as your input method :-).

If your more detailed map set offers the opportunity, about the only lack I see with Crotha is some foothills to go with those nice crags. And I know shallower relief is tougher to show - I bet you can, though.