PDA

View Full Version : Commission: Evarlund

RobA
08-07-2011, 06:47 PM
This was commissioned map that I put together under a fairly tight time budget. The request was posted here at the guild originally http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?14954-Map-needed-for-my-novel-...-time-sensitive! which I had to turn down as I was working on two other commissions at the time. Some time later, Derek contacted me directly and asked if I could take over the project as the other artist wasn't able to complete the commission. Thankfully (time-wise) it did not require labeling, as the publisher intends to label the map in the Novel.

The big requirement was that this be done in vector format, and similar in style to some of my previous work. I created it from scratch in Inkscape, based on some sketches and a raster map put together by the other artist, then exported it in eps format for the publisher:

I've also attached a detail portion to show off the vectory goodness:

-Rob A>

eViLe_eAgLe
08-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Lovely~ :)

Clercon
08-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Really nice map!

Ascension
08-08-2011, 01:58 AM
Whoa, that's fantastic, man. Crap, gotta spread some more love.

Moe
08-08-2011, 02:22 AM
Brilliant vector art!
(same here, have to rep some other's work before granting your well-deserved points.)

>Moe

Sapiento
08-08-2011, 03:24 AM
Well done, clean and easy to read!

tilt
08-08-2011, 04:32 AM
clean, crisp and lovely :) great work Rob :)

Coyotemax
08-08-2011, 04:42 AM
oooooooooh that's niiice..

**drool**

Ramah
08-08-2011, 05:28 AM
Lovely map, Rob. Very nicely done. :)

ravells
08-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Lovely work! I really like that dashed coastal effect! how did you do the trees? Does inkscape have a vector brush or did you copy and paste them by hand?

RobA
08-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Lovely work! I really like that dashed coastal effect! how did you do the trees? Does inkscape have a vector brush or did you copy and paste them by hand?

I drew about 30 trees by hand using the pattern along path to get the trunk shape (each tree is one path with a path shape effect grouped with a duplicate path having a white fill to mask out stuff behind).

I then use the spray tool to clone these into clusters of 3-10 with some scale randomization, that were restacked back-to-front then grouped.

To make the large forest areas, I spray cloned these groups and then treaked their positions using the node sculpt tool, then spray cloned individual trees around the borders A restack on everything to set the z-order to go top to bottom finished it up.

Using clones this way makes inkscape quite efficient to run. Of course when exported as an eps file all the clones and groups get flattened out to individual paths.

-Rob A>

Moe
08-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks for sharing the process!
I will try to translate this method to illustrator - should be pretty much the same procedure.

>Moe

arsheesh
08-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Great job Rob!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh